Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

  • Tonya
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
      You might want to try Jan Tana tanning products. Its what bodybuilders use to get a deep dark tan for competions. I've heard it stains the skin and takes days to come off completely but will bleed off some on clothes but might work to get u through a weekend event. There website is www.jantana.com

      Maerwynn

      From: Judith Epstein <judith@...>

      Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:52:10
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>; <sca-middle@...>; <SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

      I'm pasty-pale, and I want my persona to be quite dark. I know it's
      okay to be pale even when one has a pale persona, but I LIKE darker
      skin, and would love to have it, even if for only a few days out of
      the year. I'm very pale, freckled, red-haired (or, ahem, I was a
      redhead before it all started turning darker and then white), and I'm
      going for... well, as dark as I can get, anything from deep black like
      a Nubian to a cinnamon brown like an Indian or dark Arab. I can't be
      the only person who's tried this, but I hope someone out there has
      been more successful than I have! Here's what I've tried without
      success, and why it doesn't work for me:

      1. Henna. Turns me orange, not brown.

      2. Make-up/cosmetics. Washes right off, especially my hands, which I
      wash often for hygiene. Also, it smears onto my clothes.

      3. Walnut hull. It goes on dark, changes my hair color and any cloth
      it touches, but then washes right off my skin as if it were never
      there. Sad, because this was my best bet so far.

      4. The solution from "Black Like Me," tanning pills plus an injection
      of a certain chemical. I've spoken to my doctor about this. It works
      by damaging the skin cells and making them extremely sun-sensitive,
      which I don't need; it puts a person at a higher risk of skin cancer,
      which I also don't need because it already runs in my family; and it's
      expensive.

      5. Tanning pills. Either they don't work, or they turn the skin orange
      like henna.

      6. Self-tanning lotions. I've only tried a handful of these, but so
      far, they've all turned me orange instead of brown.

      Any thoughts? Ideally I'd only have to apply it once (or daily over a
      period of a few days) in order for it to last at least the duration of
      a weekend-long event, complete with showering and lots of hand
      washing. Even better if it would last for the duration of, say,
      Pennsic (I can't go this year, but I'm hoping for next year).

      -- Judith / Divash

    • Marlene Ladouceur
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 10, 2009
        Dia duit!

        The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African person and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:

        1. your white bath is black for a month and more ;0)

        2. Your skin is very black (not brown black like those persons) for few weeks and also don`t looks natural.

        3 DON`T DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO POISONOUS YOURSELF! Ink is poison ;0) The aunt in question did`nt poisoned herself, but a friend of mine who is doctor, told me that this is potentiencialy dangerous...

        A suggestion: you could just dress yourself and act like those people without being black skinned. Say that you where adopted by them...or something like that ;0)

        Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien

        Shire La Selve d`Aure

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com; sca-middle@...; SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10, 2009
          Quoth Marlene Ladouceur:
          > The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African per=
          > son and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:=20

          *laugh* Having recently spilled about half a bottle of sepia
          ink, I can confirm that sepia will dye your skin a lovely dark
          brown which will last through at least a couple of washings
          with soap.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 15, 2009
            To Whom It May Concern:

            I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

            PMC_,___
          • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
              Hmm.  I've wondered about that, myself.  Speaking from personal experience here, in the western U.S., people of 'color' seem to generally be accepted as part of the group.

              In fact, that Laurel who I've complained about (her extremely boorish behavior towards people's garb, she tended to run up to people and begin snatching at their clothes/hats/hairpieces without so much as a "by-your-leave"), is a person 'of color'...  She was VERY WELL established within her Barony; so much so that everyone else ['white'] feared to bring the unpleasant aspects of her behavior to her attention...

              Which I DID do, because I can't stand rude, stupid behavior no matter WHAT color the person is.  As one of Herman Melville's characters said in "Moby Dick", "I'd strike the sun if it insulted me!"  In other words, I speak my mind forcefully and directly, often with little to no regard for a person's 'status' within the SCA - or corporate America, for that matter.

              My behavior towards her started [rumors abound in the SCA] a rumor that I was 'prejudiced' against her because of her 'color'.  Hmmm.  Little did any of the SCA members know that I'd dated a black man when in my early twenties, and had actually proposed marriage TO HIM.  Luckily for him, he turned me down.  (I'm a redhead - sort of - with a fiery temper.  Pray for my current husband...)

              I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world, there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice.  Personally, I've been prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the behavior of that one woman...

              Dunno if that helped answer your question...  Actually, I've got olive skin [pale], dark eyes, and ash-brown hair that turns reddish in the sun.  I'm what is called "Black" Irish - I've got Spanish blood from somewhere back in time (probably the time of the Spanish Armada...) and through the Spanish blood, may even have some Berber/Moorish blood in me...

              Which, interestingly enough, turned out to be the persona I chose for playing in the SCA...

              Ziddina ait Zumar - name registered, slightly pre-period Berber [Imazighen] name from the area of North Africa in the time [roughly] of Imperial Rome.

              I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

              PMC_,___

            • Coblaith Muimnech
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                PMC wrote:
                > I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                > least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                > primarily appeal to people of the white or paler
                > complexion.. . .Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                > in your groups?

                I'm going to assume you meant "The Society for Creative Anachronism",
                since that's the organization with this Yahoo! Group is associated.

                I wouldn't hesitate to take a friend of any phenotype to an S.C.A.
                event or meeting. I'm sure there are bigoted apples in the barrel
                and that the degree to which color is an issue varies from branch to
                branch in the Society as it does from town to town within the rest of
                the U.S. population, but I think it likely that the S.C.A., as a
                whole, is a little more "colorblind" than American society, as a
                whole. Generally speaking, we tend to attract more folks who stand
                closer to the live-and-let-live end of the spectrum than to the
                different-from-me-is-wrong end.

                My barony is based in Austin, Texas. We have only a handful of
                members who aren't white (based on their appearance--I haven't done
                any polls to determine self-perceived identities), but most of the
                people who come looking for us or who happen across one of our
                meetings are also white. I think the proportions are probably about
                the same. I know that our officers, guild leaders, and event
                planners approach and respond to prospective and current members the
                same way regardless of their apparent ethnicities, and that all the
                people with whom I've spent much time at meetings and events do
                likewise. If there is anyone in the branch who doesn't, they keep it
                subtle and out of public view (like most modern racists in most
                settings), and are doubtless aware that the majority response to any
                overt racism would be strongly negative. I suspect that is true of
                most, if not all, S.C.A. branches.

                Apparent ethnicity is certainly not a barrier to participation in any
                area of Society life. Gentles of varied backgrounds hold high
                offices, are inducted into prestigious orders, and adopt personae
                from whichever cultures interest them. (Our most active "Persian",
                locally, has red hair and freckles, and the "Welsh" lady who used to
                be principal of our dance guild has epicanthic folds.) And there
                aren't any color-based glass ceilings. The crown prince and princess
                present when I received my Award of Arms were African American
                <http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=54th_Crown>, for
                example, and the peerages are (from what I've seen) about as
                ethnically diverse as the rest of the Society.

                Coblaith Muimnech
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                <http://coblaith.net>
              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                  "Callahan Patrick" callahanpatrick@... naspiritwalker@...
                  asked:

                  <<< I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                  least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                  primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I
                  understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of
                  The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn
                  about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be
                  possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any
                  other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in
                  the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other
                  races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                  Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel
                  welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this? >>>

                  In some ways this sounds like a troll trying to stir up confrontation,
                  which I've seen through the years on the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
                  However, I will assume you are not doing this and will try to answer
                  your questions.

                  Likely, the SCA appeals mostly to those of white, European and Middle
                  Eastern descent because those are the areas that the SCA concentrates
                  on. However, skin color means little in the Society. I've seen plenty
                  of red-haired blue-eyed Japanese personas and blond Italians. Frankly,
                  most of the people in the SCA tend to be on the more liberal side,
                  especially with freedom of action and personal choice. Skin color
                  makes little difference and it is also very tolerant of non-mainstream
                  religions.

                  As an example, one of the most popular kings we've had in Ansteorra
                  was Mahti, who happens to be a fairly dark-skinned black man. While it
                  is possible to win the kingship on brute strength alone, it tends to
                  require more and it definitely requires more to be known as a good
                  monarch and a chivalrous fighter who people are happy to see win.

                  I am in the same barony as Coblaith, but lest you think we are too
                  small a sample size, there are these files in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY
                  section of the Florilegium. They give a cross-section of viewpoints
                  from other regions across the Known World.

                  SCA-gays-msg (16K) 9/17/98 Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in
                  the SCA.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-gays-msg.html

                  SCA-minorites-msg (7K) 10/31/00 Attitudes in the SCA toward
                  minorities.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-minorties-msg.html

                  Stefan
                  --------
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                    In a message dated 7/15/2009 11:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    callahanpatrick@... writes:

                    <<I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least
                    as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily
                    appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could
                    be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional
                    Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European
                    History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing
                    to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and
                    more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of
                    these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                    Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                    in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?>>

                    From what I've seen in 20 years, I don't think it makes much difference to
                    most people in the SCA what anybody looks like. My local group is, yes,
                    primarily Caucasian and has been for 20 years, although we have had several
                    Hispanic members including one currently. Certainly none of us could care
                    less what a person's ethnicity is.
                    In thinking back over people I've met in 20 years, I can think of a number
                    of black and Asian members that I've seen, and oddly enough, most of the
                    ones I think of hold high rank in the SCA. Duchess Isabella of York, not
                    only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a black
                    woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to as "The Black
                    Knight of the East". Mistress Dorigen, a Laurel. Another lady whose name
                    I am not sure of, who is a Pelican. Count Jafar of the Midrealm, may he
                    rest in peace. There are more beyond that. (Laurels are recognized
                    Society-wide for their skill in the arts, Pelicans for their service, and Knight
                    for prowess in heavy weapons combat. Duchess and Count and similar titles
                    denote those who have served as King and Queen.)

                    For what it's worth, there's little if any prejudice towards anyone with a
                    handicap, either. I've known a number of people with physical disabilities
                    who have participated fully in the SCA, including a knight who is an
                    amputee (and he joined the SCA after he lost the leg and was knighted for
                    fighting prowess, fighting on one leg and a crutch), people with hearing or
                    vision loss, and people with a variety of neurologic disabilities such as
                    cerebral palsy and spina bifida.

                    Lancaster PA

                    **************S T R E T C H your technology dollars with great laptop
                    deals from Dell!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081712x1201714210/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2
                    D5)
                  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                      On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:15 +0000, Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:
                      > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                      > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                      > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                      > behavior of that one woman...

                      That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                      are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                      earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                      others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                      their time to help others learn.

                      I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                      Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                      bad.

                      In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                      With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                      happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                      with the other 98%. :-)

                      Kind regards,

                      fesswise reversed sable.

                      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                        On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:48 -0400, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                        > Duchess Isabella of York, not
                        > only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a
                        > black woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to
                        > as "The Black Knight of the East".

                        Sir Diablu is a truly wonderful human being! I have known him for years.
                        He was also married to a white woman, Dame Anna Herold von Ossenheim,
                        who regrettably passed away a couple of years ago. She was a dear
                        friend, and a colleague in the Chirurgeonate.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                          Alas, it was losing my little 'tykes' to such vicious cruelty - I TRUSTED those people with something very precious to me, they were LIVING THINGS that should not have been so cruelly allowed to die of thirst and starvation...

                          That hurt way more than the behavior of that laurel...  (tho, her laurel buddies tended to use only a very few books to declare what THEY thought 'period' should be.  That was another 'turn-off'.)

                          I also adopted a stray cat - rescued it - at the urging of another SCA woman in this area - even tho I'd just rescued one from my own street and found a home for it - at my own expense.

                          When I got that poor little black cat, she was almost dead of starvation.  It didn't dawn on me at the time, but why wasn't that SCA woman who TOLD me about the cat, FEEDING it, even if she couldn't ADOPT it because of the apartment complex rules???  Instead she dumped the whole thing in my lap - and I live 15 miles away from her apartment complex!

                          Sorry.  Too much whining.  But that sort of behavior towards something helpless and innocent - just boggles my mind....

                          Oversharing??  Ziddina

                          > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                          > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                          > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                          > behavior of that one woman...

                          That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                          are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                          earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                          others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                          their time to help others learn.

                          I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                          Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                          bad.

                          In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                          With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                          happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                          with the other 98%. :-)

                          Kind regards,

                          fesswise reversed sable.

                          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                        • Shere'e
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                            As an apartment manager I can tell you a POSSIBLE reason. In our house
                            rules (and many others) it clearly states that feeding strays or birds is
                            considered "keeping a pet without permission" and is a major lease
                            violation.

                            It may seem cruel but here is a very good reason for this. Folks will feed
                            strays which in turn attracts more strays and urban wildlife (skunks,
                            possums, rats, mice, ect). Next thing you know you have a huge problem with
                            them and all it takes is for one little kid to try petting the feral kitty,
                            get bit and mom sues the apartment for allowing feral animals to congrigate
                            on the property. In the meantime, Junior has to go in for a very painful set
                            of Rabies shots because he THINKS it was a tabby kitty, No wait, it was a
                            black kitty, no it was a white kitty. Maybe it was a skunk?

                            In case you think I am anti-animal I am not, we have 5 cats, all of which
                            are rescues. Nor is my complex. Animals are more than welcome. I think about
                            40% of my tenants have animals of some sort and our rules are set up to
                            encourage people to have a pet. We will even allow payments on the pet
                            deposit as low as $10 a month and do not charge a "pet rent" which some
                            places do.

                            I agree with Justin that just because someone has an award does not mean
                            that they are a perfect person. Look at the BOD meeting minutes. You will
                            see that some of the people who are banished have titles and awards. You are
                            dealing with PEOPLE and they are as good and as bad as any other group.

                            Lady Miranda

                            www.webeweddings.com
                            Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

                            (SNIPPING FOR LENGTH)

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                              Not to keep going on this subject, 'cause it is so painful and probably brings up painful memories for other people, but - the woman had a pet dog in her apartment and CLAIMED to like animals...

                              It was only later that she blurted out - in front of four other SCA'ers - that she'd been RAT FINKING on OTHERS who had pets - and pets were allowed, if one paid a small fee - within the apartment complex.  Her speech went something like, "Oh, there are all these stray cats around our apartment complex; 'course, I tell the management when someone has a pet and shouldn't have - oh, maybe I'm responsible for all those cats running around the apartment complex!"  She said it with the most disgusting "Oh, My? What have I done?" cutesy-pie expression in her voice...

                              I absolutely dropped her like a millstone [we had previously been 'friends'] at that instant.  Vicious, bizarre, and MENTal...

                              And now you know the rest of the story.  By the way, I assume that there are rescue organizations that you might be able to call - as well as the local Humane Society and in worse-case scenarios the local Animal Control people - to assist with the pet overpopulations situation???  If people would only have their animals spayed/neutered...  So sad.  Ziddina