Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

  • Tonya
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9 9:08 AM
      You might want to try Jan Tana tanning products. Its what bodybuilders use to get a deep dark tan for competions. I've heard it stains the skin and takes days to come off completely but will bleed off some on clothes but might work to get u through a weekend event. There website is www.jantana.com

      Maerwynn

      From: Judith Epstein <judith@...>

      Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:52:10
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>; <sca-middle@...>; <SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

      I'm pasty-pale, and I want my persona to be quite dark. I know it's
      okay to be pale even when one has a pale persona, but I LIKE darker
      skin, and would love to have it, even if for only a few days out of
      the year. I'm very pale, freckled, red-haired (or, ahem, I was a
      redhead before it all started turning darker and then white), and I'm
      going for... well, as dark as I can get, anything from deep black like
      a Nubian to a cinnamon brown like an Indian or dark Arab. I can't be
      the only person who's tried this, but I hope someone out there has
      been more successful than I have! Here's what I've tried without
      success, and why it doesn't work for me:

      1. Henna. Turns me orange, not brown.

      2. Make-up/cosmetics. Washes right off, especially my hands, which I
      wash often for hygiene. Also, it smears onto my clothes.

      3. Walnut hull. It goes on dark, changes my hair color and any cloth
      it touches, but then washes right off my skin as if it were never
      there. Sad, because this was my best bet so far.

      4. The solution from "Black Like Me," tanning pills plus an injection
      of a certain chemical. I've spoken to my doctor about this. It works
      by damaging the skin cells and making them extremely sun-sensitive,
      which I don't need; it puts a person at a higher risk of skin cancer,
      which I also don't need because it already runs in my family; and it's
      expensive.

      5. Tanning pills. Either they don't work, or they turn the skin orange
      like henna.

      6. Self-tanning lotions. I've only tried a handful of these, but so
      far, they've all turned me orange instead of brown.

      Any thoughts? Ideally I'd only have to apply it once (or daily over a
      period of a few days) in order for it to last at least the duration of
      a weekend-long event, complete with showering and lots of hand
      washing. Even better if it would last for the duration of, say,
      Pennsic (I can't go this year, but I'm hoping for next year).

      -- Judith / Divash

    • Lovedaia
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9 7:37 PM
        You didn't mention spray-tan in your options. Call around tanning
        salons in your area and find a good place that does spray tans. You can
        take a few applications to reach as dark as you want, and it will hold
        most of it's color for 4-5 days. It's done with a spray gun by a
        professional.

        It's what they use on shows like Dancing With The Stars...so everyone
        looks dark and sexy, and it doesn't rub or sweat off ... but it's a more
        natural color than self tanners. I'm fair too....self tanners make me
        orange, all of them, even the expensive Estee Lauder type things.

        Want to just try it out? I bet a couple of place would do a test patch
        for you in a hidden place so you can watch it for a few hours and see
        how the color develops.

        Lovedaia of Calontir

        Judith Epstein wrote:

        > I haven't worked out the fine details of my persona yet, but I know
        > that I want her to be a Jew from either North Africa (Morocco to
        > Yemen, somewhere in that area), or the Holy Land. I don't need full-
        > body browning, just the exposed surface skin. I won't have all that
        > many exposed surfaces, but the ones that will be exposed (face, hands,
        > feet, and possibly some of the lower leg if it's windy out) are the
        > hardest to cover with dye, due to normal sweating, washing, and
        > exposure to abrasion. Since I'm so pasty and pale, any orange tone
        > will show up very much on me.
        >
        > On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Ron Osceola wrote:
        >
        > > I am Seminole Native American ..so kinda tending to the dark anyway,
        > > it
        > > turns me a really dark brown for about 4 days. Unfortunately, you
        > > will burn
        > > like heck when you stay outside (no sun protection at all.)
        > >
        > > What is your persona, do you want to be brown on exposed surfaces or
        > > pretty
        > > much all over?

      • Marlene Ladouceur
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10 6:09 AM
          Dia duit!

          The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African person and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:

          1. your white bath is black for a month and more ;0)

          2. Your skin is very black (not brown black like those persons) for few weeks and also don`t looks natural.

          3 DON`T DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO POISONOUS YOURSELF! Ink is poison ;0) The aunt in question did`nt poisoned herself, but a friend of mine who is doctor, told me that this is potentiencialy dangerous...

          A suggestion: you could just dress yourself and act like those people without being black skinned. Say that you where adopted by them...or something like that ;0)

          Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien

          Shire La Selve d`Aure

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com; sca-middle@...; SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 10 6:13 AM
            Quoth Marlene Ladouceur:
            > The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African per=
            > son and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:=20

            *laugh* Having recently spilled about half a bottle of sepia
            ink, I can confirm that sepia will dye your skin a lovely dark
            brown which will last through at least a couple of washings
            with soap.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 15 8:33 PM
              To Whom It May Concern:

              I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

              PMC_,___
            • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 16 12:15 AM
                Hmm.  I've wondered about that, myself.  Speaking from personal experience here, in the western U.S., people of 'color' seem to generally be accepted as part of the group.

                In fact, that Laurel who I've complained about (her extremely boorish behavior towards people's garb, she tended to run up to people and begin snatching at their clothes/hats/hairpieces without so much as a "by-your-leave"), is a person 'of color'...  She was VERY WELL established within her Barony; so much so that everyone else ['white'] feared to bring the unpleasant aspects of her behavior to her attention...

                Which I DID do, because I can't stand rude, stupid behavior no matter WHAT color the person is.  As one of Herman Melville's characters said in "Moby Dick", "I'd strike the sun if it insulted me!"  In other words, I speak my mind forcefully and directly, often with little to no regard for a person's 'status' within the SCA - or corporate America, for that matter.

                My behavior towards her started [rumors abound in the SCA] a rumor that I was 'prejudiced' against her because of her 'color'.  Hmmm.  Little did any of the SCA members know that I'd dated a black man when in my early twenties, and had actually proposed marriage TO HIM.  Luckily for him, he turned me down.  (I'm a redhead - sort of - with a fiery temper.  Pray for my current husband...)

                I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world, there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice.  Personally, I've been prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the behavior of that one woman...

                Dunno if that helped answer your question...  Actually, I've got olive skin [pale], dark eyes, and ash-brown hair that turns reddish in the sun.  I'm what is called "Black" Irish - I've got Spanish blood from somewhere back in time (probably the time of the Spanish Armada...) and through the Spanish blood, may even have some Berber/Moorish blood in me...

                Which, interestingly enough, turned out to be the persona I chose for playing in the SCA...

                Ziddina ait Zumar - name registered, slightly pre-period Berber [Imazighen] name from the area of North Africa in the time [roughly] of Imperial Rome.

                I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

                PMC_,___

              • Coblaith Muimnech
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 16 12:21 AM
                  PMC wrote:
                  > I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                  > least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                  > primarily appeal to people of the white or paler
                  > complexion.. . .Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                  > in your groups?

                  I'm going to assume you meant "The Society for Creative Anachronism",
                  since that's the organization with this Yahoo! Group is associated.

                  I wouldn't hesitate to take a friend of any phenotype to an S.C.A.
                  event or meeting. I'm sure there are bigoted apples in the barrel
                  and that the degree to which color is an issue varies from branch to
                  branch in the Society as it does from town to town within the rest of
                  the U.S. population, but I think it likely that the S.C.A., as a
                  whole, is a little more "colorblind" than American society, as a
                  whole. Generally speaking, we tend to attract more folks who stand
                  closer to the live-and-let-live end of the spectrum than to the
                  different-from-me-is-wrong end.

                  My barony is based in Austin, Texas. We have only a handful of
                  members who aren't white (based on their appearance--I haven't done
                  any polls to determine self-perceived identities), but most of the
                  people who come looking for us or who happen across one of our
                  meetings are also white. I think the proportions are probably about
                  the same. I know that our officers, guild leaders, and event
                  planners approach and respond to prospective and current members the
                  same way regardless of their apparent ethnicities, and that all the
                  people with whom I've spent much time at meetings and events do
                  likewise. If there is anyone in the branch who doesn't, they keep it
                  subtle and out of public view (like most modern racists in most
                  settings), and are doubtless aware that the majority response to any
                  overt racism would be strongly negative. I suspect that is true of
                  most, if not all, S.C.A. branches.

                  Apparent ethnicity is certainly not a barrier to participation in any
                  area of Society life. Gentles of varied backgrounds hold high
                  offices, are inducted into prestigious orders, and adopt personae
                  from whichever cultures interest them. (Our most active "Persian",
                  locally, has red hair and freckles, and the "Welsh" lady who used to
                  be principal of our dance guild has epicanthic folds.) And there
                  aren't any color-based glass ceilings. The crown prince and princess
                  present when I received my Award of Arms were African American
                  <http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=54th_Crown>, for
                  example, and the peerages are (from what I've seen) about as
                  ethnically diverse as the rest of the Society.

                  Coblaith Muimnech
                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                  <http://coblaith.net>
                • Stefan li Rous
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 16 1:07 AM
                    "Callahan Patrick" callahanpatrick@... naspiritwalker@...
                    asked:

                    <<< I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                    least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                    primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I
                    understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of
                    The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn
                    about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be
                    possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any
                    other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in
                    the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other
                    races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                    Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel
                    welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this? >>>

                    In some ways this sounds like a troll trying to stir up confrontation,
                    which I've seen through the years on the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
                    However, I will assume you are not doing this and will try to answer
                    your questions.

                    Likely, the SCA appeals mostly to those of white, European and Middle
                    Eastern descent because those are the areas that the SCA concentrates
                    on. However, skin color means little in the Society. I've seen plenty
                    of red-haired blue-eyed Japanese personas and blond Italians. Frankly,
                    most of the people in the SCA tend to be on the more liberal side,
                    especially with freedom of action and personal choice. Skin color
                    makes little difference and it is also very tolerant of non-mainstream
                    religions.

                    As an example, one of the most popular kings we've had in Ansteorra
                    was Mahti, who happens to be a fairly dark-skinned black man. While it
                    is possible to win the kingship on brute strength alone, it tends to
                    require more and it definitely requires more to be known as a good
                    monarch and a chivalrous fighter who people are happy to see win.

                    I am in the same barony as Coblaith, but lest you think we are too
                    small a sample size, there are these files in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY
                    section of the Florilegium. They give a cross-section of viewpoints
                    from other regions across the Known World.

                    SCA-gays-msg (16K) 9/17/98 Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in
                    the SCA.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-gays-msg.html

                    SCA-minorites-msg (7K) 10/31/00 Attitudes in the SCA toward
                    minorities.
                    http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-minorties-msg.html

                    Stefan
                    --------
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 16 4:48 AM
                      In a message dated 7/15/2009 11:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      callahanpatrick@... writes:

                      <<I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least
                      as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily
                      appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could
                      be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional
                      Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European
                      History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing
                      to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and
                      more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of
                      these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                      Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                      in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?>>

                      From what I've seen in 20 years, I don't think it makes much difference to
                      most people in the SCA what anybody looks like. My local group is, yes,
                      primarily Caucasian and has been for 20 years, although we have had several
                      Hispanic members including one currently. Certainly none of us could care
                      less what a person's ethnicity is.
                      In thinking back over people I've met in 20 years, I can think of a number
                      of black and Asian members that I've seen, and oddly enough, most of the
                      ones I think of hold high rank in the SCA. Duchess Isabella of York, not
                      only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a black
                      woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to as "The Black
                      Knight of the East". Mistress Dorigen, a Laurel. Another lady whose name
                      I am not sure of, who is a Pelican. Count Jafar of the Midrealm, may he
                      rest in peace. There are more beyond that. (Laurels are recognized
                      Society-wide for their skill in the arts, Pelicans for their service, and Knight
                      for prowess in heavy weapons combat. Duchess and Count and similar titles
                      denote those who have served as King and Queen.)

                      For what it's worth, there's little if any prejudice towards anyone with a
                      handicap, either. I've known a number of people with physical disabilities
                      who have participated fully in the SCA, including a knight who is an
                      amputee (and he joined the SCA after he lost the leg and was knighted for
                      fighting prowess, fighting on one leg and a crutch), people with hearing or
                      vision loss, and people with a variety of neurologic disabilities such as
                      cerebral palsy and spina bifida.

                      Lancaster PA

                      **************S T R E T C H your technology dollars with great laptop
                      deals from Dell!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081712x1201714210/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2
                      D5)
                    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 16 6:04 AM
                        On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:15 +0000, Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:
                        > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                        > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                        > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                        > behavior of that one woman...

                        That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                        are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                        earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                        others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                        their time to help others learn.

                        I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                        Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                        bad.

                        In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                        With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                        happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                        with the other 98%. :-)

                        Kind regards,

                        fesswise reversed sable.

                        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 16 6:26 AM
                          On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:48 -0400, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                          > Duchess Isabella of York, not
                          > only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a
                          > black woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to
                          > as "The Black Knight of the East".

                          Sir Diablu is a truly wonderful human being! I have known him for years.
                          He was also married to a white woman, Dame Anna Herold von Ossenheim,
                          who regrettably passed away a couple of years ago. She was a dear
                          friend, and a colleague in the Chirurgeonate.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 16 8:36 AM
                            Alas, it was losing my little 'tykes' to such vicious cruelty - I TRUSTED those people with something very precious to me, they were LIVING THINGS that should not have been so cruelly allowed to die of thirst and starvation...

                            That hurt way more than the behavior of that laurel...  (tho, her laurel buddies tended to use only a very few books to declare what THEY thought 'period' should be.  That was another 'turn-off'.)

                            I also adopted a stray cat - rescued it - at the urging of another SCA woman in this area - even tho I'd just rescued one from my own street and found a home for it - at my own expense.

                            When I got that poor little black cat, she was almost dead of starvation.  It didn't dawn on me at the time, but why wasn't that SCA woman who TOLD me about the cat, FEEDING it, even if she couldn't ADOPT it because of the apartment complex rules???  Instead she dumped the whole thing in my lap - and I live 15 miles away from her apartment complex!

                            Sorry.  Too much whining.  But that sort of behavior towards something helpless and innocent - just boggles my mind....

                            Oversharing??  Ziddina

                            > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                            > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                            > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                            > behavior of that one woman...

                            That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                            are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                            earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                            others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                            their time to help others learn.

                            I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                            Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                            bad.

                            In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                            With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                            happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                            with the other 98%. :-)

                            Kind regards,

                            fesswise reversed sable.

                            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                          • Shere'e
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 16 8:53 AM
                              As an apartment manager I can tell you a POSSIBLE reason. In our house
                              rules (and many others) it clearly states that feeding strays or birds is
                              considered "keeping a pet without permission" and is a major lease
                              violation.

                              It may seem cruel but here is a very good reason for this. Folks will feed
                              strays which in turn attracts more strays and urban wildlife (skunks,
                              possums, rats, mice, ect). Next thing you know you have a huge problem with
                              them and all it takes is for one little kid to try petting the feral kitty,
                              get bit and mom sues the apartment for allowing feral animals to congrigate
                              on the property. In the meantime, Junior has to go in for a very painful set
                              of Rabies shots because he THINKS it was a tabby kitty, No wait, it was a
                              black kitty, no it was a white kitty. Maybe it was a skunk?

                              In case you think I am anti-animal I am not, we have 5 cats, all of which
                              are rescues. Nor is my complex. Animals are more than welcome. I think about
                              40% of my tenants have animals of some sort and our rules are set up to
                              encourage people to have a pet. We will even allow payments on the pet
                              deposit as low as $10 a month and do not charge a "pet rent" which some
                              places do.

                              I agree with Justin that just because someone has an award does not mean
                              that they are a perfect person. Look at the BOD meeting minutes. You will
                              see that some of the people who are banished have titles and awards. You are
                              dealing with PEOPLE and they are as good and as bad as any other group.

                              Lady Miranda

                              www.webeweddings.com
                              Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

                              (SNIPPING FOR LENGTH)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 16 1:55 PM
                                Not to keep going on this subject, 'cause it is so painful and probably brings up painful memories for other people, but - the woman had a pet dog in her apartment and CLAIMED to like animals...

                                It was only later that she blurted out - in front of four other SCA'ers - that she'd been RAT FINKING on OTHERS who had pets - and pets were allowed, if one paid a small fee - within the apartment complex.  Her speech went something like, "Oh, there are all these stray cats around our apartment complex; 'course, I tell the management when someone has a pet and shouldn't have - oh, maybe I'm responsible for all those cats running around the apartment complex!"  She said it with the most disgusting "Oh, My? What have I done?" cutesy-pie expression in her voice...

                                I absolutely dropped her like a millstone [we had previously been 'friends'] at that instant.  Vicious, bizarre, and MENTal...

                                And now you know the rest of the story.  By the way, I assume that there are rescue organizations that you might be able to call - as well as the local Humane Society and in worse-case scenarios the local Animal Control people - to assist with the pet overpopulations situation???  If people would only have their animals spayed/neutered...  So sad.  Ziddina