Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

  • Ron Osceola
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
      Canthaxanthin is sold in several health food places I've been as a tanning
      agent for bodybuilders. Canthaxanthin is stored in bodyfat. Your palms/soles
      of your feet will be the first places to show signs of canthaxanthin and
      will also show it strongest. It is always a good idea to load canthaxanthin
      (3-6 tabs a day taken with meals) and as soon as your hands turn orange/red
      cut the dose to 1-2 tabs a day (taken in the morning). If after a month you
      notice your color fading and if you want to darken up more you can reload.

      Another thing I have heard (but not tried personally) is iodine mixed with
      baby oil and rubbed onto the skin. Obviously you would have some control of
      the color by how much iodine you put into the baby oil.

      --
      Love and Blessings,
      Ron Osceola, CHT

    • Judith Epstein
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
        Thanks, Ron! Will it turn me brown, though, or orange? I've heard of
        canthaxanthin before but not tried it myself. I really want to avoid
        an orangey color if possible.

      • Tonya
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
          You might want to try Jan Tana tanning products. Its what bodybuilders use to get a deep dark tan for competions. I've heard it stains the skin and takes days to come off completely but will bleed off some on clothes but might work to get u through a weekend event. There website is www.jantana.com

          Maerwynn

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
            I am Seminole Native American ..so kinda tending to the dark anyway, it
            turns me a really dark brown for about 4 days. Unfortunately, you will burn
            like heck when you stay outside (no sun protection at all.)

            What is your persona, do you want to be brown on exposed surfaces or pretty
            much all over?

            On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Judith Epstein <judith@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > cancer,
            > > > which I also don't need because it already runs in my family; and
            > > it's
            > > > expensive.
            > > >
            > > > 5. Tanning pills. Either they don't work, or they turn the skin
            > > orange
            > > > like henna.
            > > >
            > > > 6. Self-tanning lotions. I've only tried a handful of these, but so
            > > > far, they've all turned me orange instead of brown.
            > > >
            > > > Any thoughts? Ideally I'd only have to apply it once (or daily
            > > over a
            > > > period of a few days) in order for it to last at least the
            > > duration of
            > > > a weekend-long event, complete with showering and lots of hand
            > > > washing. Even better if it would last for the duration of, say,
            > > > Pennsic (I can't go this year, but I'm hoping for next year).

            Love and Blessings,
            Ron Osceola, CHT

          • Judith Epstein
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
              I haven't worked out the fine details of my persona yet, but I know
              that I want her to be a Jew from either North Africa (Morocco to
              Yemen, somewhere in that area), or the Holy Land. I don't need full-
              body browning, just the exposed surface skin. I won't have all that
              many exposed surfaces, but the ones that will be exposed (face, hands,
              feet, and possibly some of the lower leg if it's windy out) are the
              hardest to cover with dye, due to normal sweating, washing, and
              exposure to abrasion. Since I'm so pasty and pale, any orange tone
              will show up very much on me.

              On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Ron Osceola wrote:

              > I am Seminole Native American ..so kinda tending to the dark anyway,
              > it
              > turns me a really dark brown for about 4 days. Unfortunately, you
              > will burn
              > like heck when you stay outside (no sun protection at all.)
              >
              > What is your persona, do you want to be brown on exposed surfaces or
              > pretty
              > much all over?

            • Lovedaia
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                You didn't mention spray-tan in your options. Call around tanning
                salons in your area and find a good place that does spray tans. You can
                take a few applications to reach as dark as you want, and it will hold
                most of it's color for 4-5 days. It's done with a spray gun by a
                professional.

                It's what they use on shows like Dancing With The Stars...so everyone
                looks dark and sexy, and it doesn't rub or sweat off ... but it's a more
                natural color than self tanners. I'm fair too....self tanners make me
                orange, all of them, even the expensive Estee Lauder type things.

                Want to just try it out? I bet a couple of place would do a test patch
                for you in a hidden place so you can watch it for a few hours and see
                how the color develops.

                Lovedaia of Calontir

                Judith Epstein wrote:

                > I haven't worked out the fine details of my persona yet, but I know
                > that I want her to be a Jew from either North Africa (Morocco to
                > Yemen, somewhere in that area), or the Holy Land. I don't need full-
                > body browning, just the exposed surface skin. I won't have all that
                > many exposed surfaces, but the ones that will be exposed (face, hands,
                > feet, and possibly some of the lower leg if it's windy out) are the
                > hardest to cover with dye, due to normal sweating, washing, and
                > exposure to abrasion. Since I'm so pasty and pale, any orange tone
                > will show up very much on me.
                >
                > On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Ron Osceola wrote:
                >
                > > I am Seminole Native American ..so kinda tending to the dark anyway,
                > > it
                > > turns me a really dark brown for about 4 days. Unfortunately, you
                > > will burn
                > > like heck when you stay outside (no sun protection at all.)
                > >
                > > What is your persona, do you want to be brown on exposed surfaces or
                > > pretty
                > > much all over?

              • Marlene Ladouceur
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10, 2009
                  Dia duit!

                  The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African person and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:

                  1. your white bath is black for a month and more ;0)

                  2. Your skin is very black (not brown black like those persons) for few weeks and also don`t looks natural.

                  3 DON`T DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO POISONOUS YOURSELF! Ink is poison ;0) The aunt in question did`nt poisoned herself, but a friend of mine who is doctor, told me that this is potentiencialy dangerous...

                  A suggestion: you could just dress yourself and act like those people without being black skinned. Say that you where adopted by them...or something like that ;0)

                  Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien

                  Shire La Selve d`Aure

                  To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com; sca-middle@...; SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10, 2009
                    Quoth Marlene Ladouceur:
                    > The aunt of my husband wanted, for an Halloween party, to be an African per=
                    > son and took a black ink bath... Oh, it works good but 3 things about it:=20

                    *laugh* Having recently spilled about half a bottle of sepia
                    ink, I can confirm that sepia will dye your skin a lovely dark
                    brown which will last through at least a couple of washings
                    with soap.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 15, 2009
                      To Whom It May Concern:

                      I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

                      PMC_,___
                    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                        Hmm.  I've wondered about that, myself.  Speaking from personal experience here, in the western U.S., people of 'color' seem to generally be accepted as part of the group.

                        In fact, that Laurel who I've complained about (her extremely boorish behavior towards people's garb, she tended to run up to people and begin snatching at their clothes/hats/hairpieces without so much as a "by-your-leave"), is a person 'of color'...  She was VERY WELL established within her Barony; so much so that everyone else ['white'] feared to bring the unpleasant aspects of her behavior to her attention...

                        Which I DID do, because I can't stand rude, stupid behavior no matter WHAT color the person is.  As one of Herman Melville's characters said in "Moby Dick", "I'd strike the sun if it insulted me!"  In other words, I speak my mind forcefully and directly, often with little to no regard for a person's 'status' within the SCA - or corporate America, for that matter.

                        My behavior towards her started [rumors abound in the SCA] a rumor that I was 'prejudiced' against her because of her 'color'.  Hmmm.  Little did any of the SCA members know that I'd dated a black man when in my early twenties, and had actually proposed marriage TO HIM.  Luckily for him, he turned me down.  (I'm a redhead - sort of - with a fiery temper.  Pray for my current husband...)

                        I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world, there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice.  Personally, I've been prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the behavior of that one woman...

                        Dunno if that helped answer your question...  Actually, I've got olive skin [pale], dark eyes, and ash-brown hair that turns reddish in the sun.  I'm what is called "Black" Irish - I've got Spanish blood from somewhere back in time (probably the time of the Spanish Armada...) and through the Spanish blood, may even have some Berber/Moorish blood in me...

                        Which, interestingly enough, turned out to be the persona I chose for playing in the SCA...

                        Ziddina ait Zumar - name registered, slightly pre-period Berber [Imazighen] name from the area of North Africa in the time [roughly] of Imperial Rome.

                        I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?

                        PMC_,___

                      • Coblaith Muimnech
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                          PMC wrote:
                          > I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                          > least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                          > primarily appeal to people of the white or paler
                          > complexion.. . .Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                          > in your groups?

                          I'm going to assume you meant "The Society for Creative Anachronism",
                          since that's the organization with this Yahoo! Group is associated.

                          I wouldn't hesitate to take a friend of any phenotype to an S.C.A.
                          event or meeting. I'm sure there are bigoted apples in the barrel
                          and that the degree to which color is an issue varies from branch to
                          branch in the Society as it does from town to town within the rest of
                          the U.S. population, but I think it likely that the S.C.A., as a
                          whole, is a little more "colorblind" than American society, as a
                          whole. Generally speaking, we tend to attract more folks who stand
                          closer to the live-and-let-live end of the spectrum than to the
                          different-from-me-is-wrong end.

                          My barony is based in Austin, Texas. We have only a handful of
                          members who aren't white (based on their appearance--I haven't done
                          any polls to determine self-perceived identities), but most of the
                          people who come looking for us or who happen across one of our
                          meetings are also white. I think the proportions are probably about
                          the same. I know that our officers, guild leaders, and event
                          planners approach and respond to prospective and current members the
                          same way regardless of their apparent ethnicities, and that all the
                          people with whom I've spent much time at meetings and events do
                          likewise. If there is anyone in the branch who doesn't, they keep it
                          subtle and out of public view (like most modern racists in most
                          settings), and are doubtless aware that the majority response to any
                          overt racism would be strongly negative. I suspect that is true of
                          most, if not all, S.C.A. branches.

                          Apparent ethnicity is certainly not a barrier to participation in any
                          area of Society life. Gentles of varied backgrounds hold high
                          offices, are inducted into prestigious orders, and adopt personae
                          from whichever cultures interest them. (Our most active "Persian",
                          locally, has red hair and freckles, and the "Welsh" lady who used to
                          be principal of our dance guild has epicanthic folds.) And there
                          aren't any color-based glass ceilings. The crown prince and princess
                          present when I received my Award of Arms were African American
                          <http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=54th_Crown>, for
                          example, and the peerages are (from what I've seen) about as
                          ethnically diverse as the rest of the Society.

                          Coblaith Muimnech
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                          <http://coblaith.net>
                        • Stefan li Rous
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                            "Callahan Patrick" callahanpatrick@... naspiritwalker@...
                            asked:

                            <<< I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
                            least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
                            primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I
                            understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of
                            The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn
                            about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be
                            possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any
                            other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in
                            the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other
                            races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                            Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel
                            welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this? >>>

                            In some ways this sounds like a troll trying to stir up confrontation,
                            which I've seen through the years on the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
                            However, I will assume you are not doing this and will try to answer
                            your questions.

                            Likely, the SCA appeals mostly to those of white, European and Middle
                            Eastern descent because those are the areas that the SCA concentrates
                            on. However, skin color means little in the Society. I've seen plenty
                            of red-haired blue-eyed Japanese personas and blond Italians. Frankly,
                            most of the people in the SCA tend to be on the more liberal side,
                            especially with freedom of action and personal choice. Skin color
                            makes little difference and it is also very tolerant of non-mainstream
                            religions.

                            As an example, one of the most popular kings we've had in Ansteorra
                            was Mahti, who happens to be a fairly dark-skinned black man. While it
                            is possible to win the kingship on brute strength alone, it tends to
                            require more and it definitely requires more to be known as a good
                            monarch and a chivalrous fighter who people are happy to see win.

                            I am in the same barony as Coblaith, but lest you think we are too
                            small a sample size, there are these files in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY
                            section of the Florilegium. They give a cross-section of viewpoints
                            from other regions across the Known World.

                            SCA-gays-msg (16K) 9/17/98 Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in
                            the SCA.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-gays-msg.html

                            SCA-minorites-msg (7K) 10/31/00 Attitudes in the SCA toward
                            minorities.
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-minorties-msg.html

                            Stefan
                            --------
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                              In a message dated 7/15/2009 11:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              callahanpatrick@... writes:

                              <<I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least
                              as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily
                              appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could
                              be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional
                              Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European
                              History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing
                              to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and
                              more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of
                              these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
                              Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
                              in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?>>

                              From what I've seen in 20 years, I don't think it makes much difference to
                              most people in the SCA what anybody looks like. My local group is, yes,
                              primarily Caucasian and has been for 20 years, although we have had several
                              Hispanic members including one currently. Certainly none of us could care
                              less what a person's ethnicity is.
                              In thinking back over people I've met in 20 years, I can think of a number
                              of black and Asian members that I've seen, and oddly enough, most of the
                              ones I think of hold high rank in the SCA. Duchess Isabella of York, not
                              only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a black
                              woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to as "The Black
                              Knight of the East". Mistress Dorigen, a Laurel. Another lady whose name
                              I am not sure of, who is a Pelican. Count Jafar of the Midrealm, may he
                              rest in peace. There are more beyond that. (Laurels are recognized
                              Society-wide for their skill in the arts, Pelicans for their service, and Knight
                              for prowess in heavy weapons combat. Duchess and Count and similar titles
                              denote those who have served as King and Queen.)

                              For what it's worth, there's little if any prejudice towards anyone with a
                              handicap, either. I've known a number of people with physical disabilities
                              who have participated fully in the SCA, including a knight who is an
                              amputee (and he joined the SCA after he lost the leg and was knighted for
                              fighting prowess, fighting on one leg and a crutch), people with hearing or
                              vision loss, and people with a variety of neurologic disabilities such as
                              cerebral palsy and spina bifida.

                              Lancaster PA

                              **************S T R E T C H your technology dollars with great laptop
                              deals from Dell!
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081712x1201714210/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2
                              D5)
                            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                                On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:15 +0000, Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:
                                > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                                > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                                > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                                > behavior of that one woman...

                                That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                                are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                                earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                                others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                                their time to help others learn.

                                I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                                Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                                bad.

                                In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                                With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                                happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                                with the other 98%. :-)

                                Kind regards,

                                fesswise reversed sable.

                                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                                  On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:48 -0400, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                                  > Duchess Isabella of York, not
                                  > only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a
                                  > black woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to
                                  > as "The Black Knight of the East".

                                  Sir Diablu is a truly wonderful human being! I have known him for years.
                                  He was also married to a white woman, Dame Anna Herold von Ossenheim,
                                  who regrettably passed away a couple of years ago. She was a dear
                                  friend, and a colleague in the Chirurgeonate.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                                    Alas, it was losing my little 'tykes' to such vicious cruelty - I TRUSTED those people with something very precious to me, they were LIVING THINGS that should not have been so cruelly allowed to die of thirst and starvation...

                                    That hurt way more than the behavior of that laurel...  (tho, her laurel buddies tended to use only a very few books to declare what THEY thought 'period' should be.  That was another 'turn-off'.)

                                    I also adopted a stray cat - rescued it - at the urging of another SCA woman in this area - even tho I'd just rescued one from my own street and found a home for it - at my own expense.

                                    When I got that poor little black cat, she was almost dead of starvation.  It didn't dawn on me at the time, but why wasn't that SCA woman who TOLD me about the cat, FEEDING it, even if she couldn't ADOPT it because of the apartment complex rules???  Instead she dumped the whole thing in my lap - and I live 15 miles away from her apartment complex!

                                    Sorry.  Too much whining.  But that sort of behavior towards something helpless and innocent - just boggles my mind....

                                    Oversharing??  Ziddina

                                    > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                                    > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                                    > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                                    > behavior of that one woman...

                                    That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                                    are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                                    earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                                    others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                                    their time to help others learn.

                                    I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                                    Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                                    bad.

                                    In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                                    With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                                    happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                                    with the other 98%. :-)

                                    Kind regards,

                                    fesswise reversed sable.

                                    justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                                  • Shere'e
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                                      As an apartment manager I can tell you a POSSIBLE reason. In our house
                                      rules (and many others) it clearly states that feeding strays or birds is
                                      considered "keeping a pet without permission" and is a major lease
                                      violation.

                                      It may seem cruel but here is a very good reason for this. Folks will feed
                                      strays which in turn attracts more strays and urban wildlife (skunks,
                                      possums, rats, mice, ect). Next thing you know you have a huge problem with
                                      them and all it takes is for one little kid to try petting the feral kitty,
                                      get bit and mom sues the apartment for allowing feral animals to congrigate
                                      on the property. In the meantime, Junior has to go in for a very painful set
                                      of Rabies shots because he THINKS it was a tabby kitty, No wait, it was a
                                      black kitty, no it was a white kitty. Maybe it was a skunk?

                                      In case you think I am anti-animal I am not, we have 5 cats, all of which
                                      are rescues. Nor is my complex. Animals are more than welcome. I think about
                                      40% of my tenants have animals of some sort and our rules are set up to
                                      encourage people to have a pet. We will even allow payments on the pet
                                      deposit as low as $10 a month and do not charge a "pet rent" which some
                                      places do.

                                      I agree with Justin that just because someone has an award does not mean
                                      that they are a perfect person. Look at the BOD meeting minutes. You will
                                      see that some of the people who are banished have titles and awards. You are
                                      dealing with PEOPLE and they are as good and as bad as any other group.

                                      Lady Miranda

                                      www.webeweddings.com
                                      Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

                                      (SNIPPING FOR LENGTH)

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                                        Not to keep going on this subject, 'cause it is so painful and probably brings up painful memories for other people, but - the woman had a pet dog in her apartment and CLAIMED to like animals...

                                        It was only later that she blurted out - in front of four other SCA'ers - that she'd been RAT FINKING on OTHERS who had pets - and pets were allowed, if one paid a small fee - within the apartment complex.  Her speech went something like, "Oh, there are all these stray cats around our apartment complex; 'course, I tell the management when someone has a pet and shouldn't have - oh, maybe I'm responsible for all those cats running around the apartment complex!"  She said it with the most disgusting "Oh, My? What have I done?" cutesy-pie expression in her voice...

                                        I absolutely dropped her like a millstone [we had previously been 'friends'] at that instant.  Vicious, bizarre, and MENTal...

                                        And now you know the rest of the story.  By the way, I assume that there are rescue organizations that you might be able to call - as well as the local Humane Society and in worse-case scenarios the local Animal Control people - to assist with the pet overpopulations situation???  If people would only have their animals spayed/neutered...  So sad.  Ziddina