Re: [SCA Newcomers] Introduction

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2009
      Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions about names, personae,
      persona-origins, and encampments. Wow, if this is the help I get just
      for saying howdy, I'm going to LOVE this group when it comes to
      actually asking questions from you guys. I'm going to be such a happy
      camper, pun fully intended. :)

      I know the persona I choose will be a Jewish one, most likely either a
      North African or a merchant/shipper along the Silk Road from India
      through China through the Middle East and down a bit into Africa. I
      still haven't chosen time period or specifics, but I'm looking forward
      to sorting it all out. This isn't a request for help, just a general
      addendum to my introduction, but if someone's got thoughts, I'd love
      to hear them.

      About 10 days ago I bought my first-ever sewing machine, and promptly
      twisted my ankle on the way home from the store so I couldn't go buy
      fabric. I got home and discovered that every sheet and pillowcase in
      the house is already spoken for, so I couldn't sew ANYTHING, even a
      test-square! Today I spent $22 at the Salvation Army thrift store and
      emerged with a really lovely collection of fabrics to try sewing with,
      as well as a salwar kameez which will probably be too small for me,
      but I refused to pass up an entire, ready-made, embroidered outfit for
      under $8 total. Once all those new things are washed, I'm going to
      start in with those "making my first garb" websites I've been
      researching for the past month. I'll let you know how it all goes, and
      if I really feel well chuffed with the results, I'll take and post
      pictures. No promises, though.

      Judith / no SCA name yet
    • Trish Mickelsen
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
        Judith, welcome to the group.  I am also in the kingdom of AnTir.  I have been playing with SCA for a number of years but Milord husband & I have just recently officially joined.  We are Wyewoodians, there are a number of our members here too.
         Hugs & Kisses,
        Trish, no name yet.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
          Greetings Judith No Name Yet,

          Welcome back to the SCA! And yes, you may need to find the rest of
          your name or stop using this descriptive. A number of SCA folk didn't,
          and got tagged with the names they first used. (John the Plain: "No
          name yet. I'm just plain John", Henry the Just: "I'm just Henry" ).
          But actually your first name is the most important. You can go along
          time with out a full name. Choosing a first name quickly, or using
          your regular name, does keep people from having to learn your regular
          name and then quickly have to learn another.

          <<< Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions about names, personae,
          persona-origins, and encampments. Wow, if this is the help I get just
          for saying howdy, I'm going to LOVE this group when it comes to
          actually asking questions from you guys. I'm going to be such a happy
          camper, pun fully intended. :) >>>

          Lol. You only heard from those folks since some of us get the digest
          version of this list and are only now seeing your message.

          <<< I know the persona I choose will be a Jewish one, most likely
          either a
          North African or a merchant/shipper along the Silk Road from India
          through China through the Middle East and down a bit into Africa. >>>

          You might be interested in this file in the CULTURES section in the
          Florilegium. The Florilegium is a large SCA/medieval website with over
          2200 differnt files on a wide variety of subjects, including all of
          them that you mention in your first paragraph above.

          Jews-msg (70K) 11/30/98 Medieval Jews, Jewish personas.
          Khazars-msg (16K) 3/26/08 Medieval Jewish kingdom near the
          Caspian Sea

          In the FOOD-BY-CULTURES section:

          fd-Jewish-msg (144K) 3/16/08 Jewish medieval food. Sources.

          There is also a NEWCOMERS section and although you've been in the SCA
          before, some of the information in that section might be of use to you.

          <<< About 10 days ago I bought my first-ever sewing machine, and
          promptly
          twisted my ankle on the way home from the store so I couldn't go buy
          fabric. I got home and discovered that every sheet and pillowcase in
          the house is already spoken for, so I couldn't sew ANYTHING, even a
          test-square! Today I spent $22 at the Salvation Army thrift store and

          Thrift stores are also good places to look for feastgear. Unlike in a
          restaurant, in the SCA, you are expected to provide your own eating
          utensils for feasts.

          Over time I have accumulated a five or six person set of armetale lead-
          free pewter pieces. I much prefer paying $6 to a thrift store or an
          SCA merchant than $22 to buy them new, for instance. However,
          searching for these is very hit and miss. In the meantime you can find
          lots of other metal, wooden and ceramic dishes there.

          More info in this file in the FEASTS section:
          feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the
          SCA.
          cleaning wooden feastgear.

          A few files in the TEXTILE ARTS section which might help you with your
          new sewing machine:

          sewing-msg (80K) 4/ 8/08 Sewing ideas and stitches.
          sewing-tables-msg (7K) 3/30/00 Ideas and comments on sewing tables.
          sewng-machnes-msg (31K) 6/17/05 Comments on sewing machines for
          SCA use.

          There is also a CLOTHING section.

          I hope this helps you or others.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
            Hello Judith,

            Welcome back!
            It sounds like you have a fairly good handle on SCA internet info, but just
            in case you missed this one; the society maintains a website with some
            excellent resources for people who don't already know everything.
            (Like me - I hardly know a quarter of the stuff I'd like to know!) (-:

            http://www.sca.org/

            If you look in the upper right corner, there are a couple of links with
            names like Advice To Newcomers and Find Your Local Group.
            The Advice link has info on how to go about choosing a name, some common
            pitfalls to avoid, and links to several pre-researched databases you can
            look through for name ideas.
            There are also some very easy directions for how to make a basic T-tunic,
            although if you want to start with a more period construction, that may not
            be the best option for you.

            I will also be attending Simple Day; I'll be teaching Fencing For Beginners
            and Train Your Ear To Carry A Tune.
            Stop by one of my classes and introduce yourself, if you like; I'd like to
            meet you.

            Have fun,

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 7, 2009
              My flatmate and I have picked names, at least tentatively. I'll be
              Divash and my flatmate will either use her name Mika, or be
              masquerading as a man called Akim. (Both Mika and Akim are actual
              names with actual meanings, not just "oh, it's backward, so it's her
              evil/male twin!") For at least part of the time, I'll be in a bright
              pink tunic and dark blue skirt and some kind of headscarf; Mika or
              Akim will be in a green salwar kameez. We'll try to drop by!

              Judith / Divash

              On Jul 7, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Kyla wrote:

              > I will also be attending Simple Day; I'll be teaching Fencing For
              > Beginners
              > and Train Your Ear To Carry A Tune.
              > Stop by one of my classes and introduce yourself, if you like; I'd
              > like to
              > meet you.
              >
              > Have fun,
              >
              > Tabitha Pennywarden
              > Ravenslake, Midlands
              > Middle Kingdom

            • jquest716
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 31 10:18 PM
                Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone my name is Jared and I'm from Nassau/Queens NY and I just attendend the Arrows and Ale event and became very interested in the SCA and everything they have to offer and how my friends and myself may become active. If anyone has info on fighting, how to create charcters and anything else please pass it on. So hopefully I will be able to get tons of info and then to get to meet everyone in person. Be well and see you all soon.
              • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                  On 1 Sep 2010, at 12:18 AM, jquest716 wrote:

                  > Hi I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone my name is Jared and I'm from Nassau/Queens NY and I just attendend the Arrows and Ale event and became very interested in the SCA and everything they have to offer and how my friends and myself may become active. If anyone has info on fighting, how to create charcters and anything else please pass it on. So hopefully I will be able to get tons of info and then to get to meet everyone in person. Be well and see you all soon.

                  Welcome to the Current Middle Ages, Jared of Queens!

                  I'll let others address fighting, as that's not my area, but I can help you a bit with persona. A few tips that were shared with me, which have proven helpful in the extreme over the last year that I've been associated with the SCA:

                  * Don't hurry into one right away, unless you already have a strong idea of what you want to do. It's okay to just say "I'm from somewhere in Western Europe" or "I'm an impoverished noble" or "I'm from early Period" and not get any more specific, until you feel ready to present yourself the way you want.

                  * Decide what level of affluence your persona. Keep in mind that if you call yourself a peasant or slave, many of the serious persona-players (who stay in character most or all of an event's duration) will probably treat you that way, which is to say, not necessarily with benign or respectful behavior. Most SCAdians take one another to be minor nobles, merchants of at least middling wealth, or bards/wandering performers/heralds/newsbearers/couriers who have a higher status from great skill than would normally be theirs by way of birth or money. The lower and poorer classes are generally either newbies (only because they haven't usually outfitted themselves very well) or what the roleplaying communities refer to as NPCs (non-played characters -- the "extras" on a movie or TV show). In other words, if an event has 100 people at it, we generally assume that those 100 people are the ones being actually portrayed, while the poorer and less noble hundreds are there, milling around but not getting underfoot or being noticed by us fancier folk. HOWEVER... if you do play someone poorer, at least you have a good reason for not spending a bloody fortune on your garb and equipment, so having a noble persona whose fortunes were lost/stolen/plundered is a pretty good idea, too.

                  * Pick a place, any place; pick a time, any time. A person from one area is going to have a different life, mindset, experiences, biases, and attire from that of a person who originates/lives in another area. An Englishman of 1420 is going to be a very different fellow from a Spaniard from the same time, even if they share a profession, income level, and religion. Pick a time, too, because a Spaniard from 1420 is not much like a Spaniard from 1120 despite their shared language (well, as much as lingual shift will allow them to share a language). Picking a place is hard because there are so many places and they are all interesting and cool, but one will present itself to you. Maybe you're Hungarian and very proud of it, and want to learn more about your heritage. Maybe an event happened that fascinates you, so you might pick a place and time that would enable you to delve into studies about that event. Maybe you want a place you know next to nothing about, so you pick a place at random from a medieval atlas because you've never heard of it and it'll give you years of joyous searching. Maybe you'll pick a place that you don't think anyone else in the SCA is studying, so that you can be the first; or a place that a lot of people know about, so that there'll be a lot of information already out there. Whatever makes your heart sing, go in that direction! The ONLY requirement is that it be either in Europe, or in a place that had contact with Europe prior to 1600.

                  * Think about the clothes. If you don't want to wear a certain culture's specific clothing because of how it feels or looks on you, that'll help you eliminate that time/place from your starting list of possibilities. For instance, I'd love to learn about late-period Italian or Elizabethan, but that gorgeous garb is so heavy and so hard to make, so I couldn't go in that direction. But a friend of mine is going in that direction precisely BECAUSE of the garb -- he loves to sew, is very good at it, and it just thrills him to go around looking so darned dashing. Think of how you'll look and feel in various types of garb, how easy it would be to make or acquire it, and let that help you make your decision.

                  * If you pick mid-Period Germany and really love that, but also start feeling attracted to early-Period France or late-period Wales, go right ahead! You're permitted to register up to five persona names. There are even folks who have a different persona for almost every event. They'll go Norse for colder autumn and winter events, Greek for hot spring and summer events, Irish for their local event that celebrates Irish and other British-Isles personae, Mongolian for the yearly Asian feast... Why not? It gives a chance to really explore lots of times and places, and they find their creativity being fostered and flourishing under such variety.
                  D'vorah bint al-Attar
                  Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                  dvorah@...
                  Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                • Kyla
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                    Newcomer resources:

                    There are many resources available to newcomers on line.

                    First, I suggest looking at the Society website: http://www.sca.org/

                    In the upper right hand corner, there are a number of pages for newcomers,
                    including things like how to figure out what kingdom/region/barony/shire
                    you're in by your zip code, easy garb to make, some ideas about how to get
                    started on building a person, and things like that.

                    This website is also where you can find things like the society rules for
                    the various kinds of combat, and the society's goals.

                    From here, you can find your kingdom website, which will have kingdom
                    specific rules for fighting, and your local chatelaine/hospitaler or
                    seneschal's contact information.

                    Second, take a look at the files in this Yahoo lists' website:

                    There are files on all sorts of things, from various kinds of clothing, or
                    garb, to heraldry, to camping equipment lists.

                    Third, Take a very LONG look at Stefan's Florilegium:
                    http://www.florilegium.org/

                    Stefan has collected thousands of articles on nearly every possible topic -
                    there is sure to be something useful to you in there.

                    In addition, Stefan is on this list - if you ask him, he will suggest
                    articles related to your topic of inquiry.

                    After you've spent some time looking at these resources, talk to your local
                    chatelaine/hospitaler - the newcomer greeter, or seneschal - your chapter
                    president.

                    They can suggest other avenues of research, or local SCAdians who have
                    similar interests.

                    Don't forget your local library, as well as the extensive online libraries
                    springing up all over the place these days.

                    After all of that, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask on
                    this list - these are some of the most helpful people in the SCA, and they
                    would love to help you in any way they can!

                    Tabitha Pennywarden

                    Ravenslake, Midlands

                    Middle Kingdom

> [...]

                    to go around looking so darned dashing. Think of how you'll look and feel in
                    various types of garb, how easy it would be to make or acquire it, and let
                    that help you make your decision.

                    * If you pick mid-Period Germany and really love that, but also start
                    feeling attracted to early-Period France or late-period Wales, go right
                    ahead! You're permitted to register up to five persona names. There are even
                    folks who have a different persona for almost every event. They'll go Norse
                    for colder autumn and winter events, Greek for hot spring and summer events,
                    Irish for their local event that celebrates Irish and other British-Isles
                    personae, Mongolian for the yearly Asian feast... Why not? It gives a chance
                    to really explore lots of times and places, and they find their creativity
                    being fostered and flourishing under such variety.
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    -=-=-=-
                    D'vorah bint al-Attar
                    Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                    dvorah@...
                    Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                  • Bill Toscano
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 1, 2010
                      On a more local level, you are in the oldest, and one of the most vibrant,
                      local groups in the East Kingdom.

                      There's contact information on the province of Ostgardr here --
                      http://www.ostgardr.org/people/contacts.php

                      The chatelaine and deputy chatelaine are the best place to start.

                      There is an event coming up Sept. 11 and 12 -- John Barleycorn (
                      http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1936), which is
                      particularly good.

                      There also an event at the Queens County Fair (
                      http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=2017) Sept. 25 and 26.

                      On Oct. 15-17, there will be horses! Warrior Nadaam (
                      http://www.eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1985) is amazing.

                      Pretty busy down there in New York City.

                      Liam