sheeps

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2009
      Finnseach replied to me with:

      <<< Welcome to the fun, Stefan. :) >>>

      Thank you, Finnseach.

      <<< I'm actually taking part in the A&S50 Challenge <
      http://artsandsciences50.org/> and my focus is not just the Picts, but
      their
      textile production techniques. I started with a focus on 7th century
      Picts,
      but have since expanded to cover the entire "Pictish Era" (4th - 8th
      centuries) mostly before "the Viking Era". >>>

      Are you restricting yourself to the culture of the Picts? Or do you
      mean other adjacent? cultures within this time frame?

      I have a fair amount of info on textiles in the Florilegium TEXTILE
      ARTS section but very little, anywhere, on the Picts. Just that small
      file I previously mentioned.

      <<< It has spawned some interesting
      side research topics for me - such as what 'breeds' of sheep were
      available
      to the Picts which has resulted in me teaching a class on Early Period
      Sheep
      at Pennsic this year.>>>

      The sheep breeds are difficult enough even before limited to just the
      northern British Isles.

      Perhaps these files in the ANIMALS section of the Florilegium might be
      of interest though.
      B-H-Cheviot-art (16K) 2/27/03 "The Brecknock Hill Cheviot - A
      Shepherds
      Investigation" by Blacksheep.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/B-H-Cheviot-art.html
      sheep-lambs-msg (38K) 12/24/06 Medieval sheep and lambs. Breeds.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/sheep-lambs-msg.html
      The-Sheep-art (8K) 10/30/02 "The Sheep That Changed the Face
      of Art and
      History" by Blacksheep.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/The-Sheep-art.html

      Stefan