Naming Help - Looking for a References!

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Greetings all,

      Since the approval process takes SO LONG, I am trying my best to offer the most historically accurate name I can so that I am less likely to be turned down.

      So, using ye ole http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ I have found a given name I am satisfied with.

      Here's the problems I have, I am working on a 13-14th century Flemish Persona. My given name is from the Low Lands 1250-1300 (http://www.keesn.nl/name13/en4_list_f.htm)

      However, using the same website, I cannot find the information I am looking for.

      I am trying to figure out a Byname based on a patronym. http://www.keesn.nl/name13/en5_an_byn.htm does not show the variation for daughters. http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/bynames/ refers to the english version of patronymic names. I know Iceland & many other Dutch/Germanic regions used dottir & Sone as the dutch variations. (i.e. Jansdottir)

      Although, according to http://www.keesn.nl/name13/en5_an_byn.htm locative bynames were more common. I would be willing to try to find one if I could find a period map of Bruges so that instead of using the cities itself, I can chose a region/area of the city. I estimate that though she may travel about Europe, my persona's home base would be Bruges. It seems silly that living in Bruges, she would be referred to as Gheile Van Bruges (though perhaps while traveling abroad she might).

      Actually, I probably would not opt to have a byname at all, as I have selected a less common given name. But alas, SCA laws forbid such things (besides it'd be taken already if it were allowed).

      Anyway, so I need some reference for this so that I can decide on a byname. Any ideas on where I could locate this (Please note that the bynames on St. Gabriel are all for post 1400 which is TOO late for my persona otherwise I'd simply pick a surname from the list :p)

      Perhaps, I need to locate a herald who can help me find the needed documentation, however, my local heralds seem to be quite busy both in SCA things and mundane things. The last time I "consulted" with them, I was pretty much handed the submission form & told to provide X copies of my documentation, and then left to my own devices.

      Thanks for any help!
      Gheile / Sara