Re: [SCA Newcomers] PIcts

  • sinyra
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23 9:12 AM
      Hi,

      Thanks everyone for the tip about SCA-Pictish. :)

      Now to answer your questions Finn:

      I haven't settled on a period for my persona yet although I was thinking somewhere around 6th or 7th century. I have some friends who are Vikings so I definitely want to be from before they invade. Also, in want to be a Pict from when Women could fight which was changed around 700 so yeah. (Although I won't be fighting in the SCA, but since I fight in Bele, it makes since.) I hadn't givin much thought to how much Roman influence I want. Thanks for reminding me. :)

      As far as region go I was thinking of a region with some celtic influence since I'll be staying in a Celtic camp and I have been interested in the Celts for a long time. So i need to figure out what region is best for that.

      Again, Thanks for the help! :)

      -Sin (just my sn not my SCA name. I'm still working on that.)
      -Acorn (belegarth name and something I'd like to modify somehow for SCA.)
    • Judith Winner
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23 11:57 AM
        On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM, sinyra <sinyra@...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > Now to answer your questions Finn:

        Finnseach, please. :) (No offense taken.) Finn is a Duke living around
        Cincinnati (last I heard) and I am definitely no relation. :)

        > I haven't settled on a period for my persona yet although I was thinking somewhere around 6th or 7th century. I have some friends who are Vikings so I definitely want to be from before they invade. Also, in want to be a Pict from when Women could fight which was changed around 700 so yeah.

        Who said that female Picts stopped fighting around 700? That's the
        first I've heard of it. Maybe after the MacAlpin Treachery (tm), but
        so far as I know (given such little evidence either way really)
        Pictish warriors were of both genders throughout their history.

        > [...]

        > As far as region go I was thinking of a region with some celtic influence since I'll be staying in a Celtic camp and I have been interested in the Celts for a long time. So i need to figure out what region is best for that.[...]

        Interestingly enough, most times when people speak of "the Celts" in
        general they are either referring to the Gauls (circa BC40 - 45AD) or
        the people later identified as the Irish. Either way, you're looking
        at the southern areas of Caledonia/Pictland near where the Dal Riadan
        invaders stole lands around the region of Argyll. Of course, they had
        their uses during the Roman influence in that they kept them busy
        (around the Antonine Wall). this was around 400AD (IIRC). If you were
        to look at a modern map of Scotland (point of interest, "scoti"
        originally meant "bandit"), the area of the Antonine wall is at the
        Firth of Forth and Firth of Clyde "line" north of Glasgow.

        You might be interested in looking up a copy of Caledonia to Pictland:
        Scotland to 795 (New Edinburgh History of Scotland) by Professor James
        Fraser <http://www.amazon.com/Caledonia-Pictland-Scotland-Edinburgh-History/dp/0748612327/ref=wl_it_dp/188-3047174-9185917?ie=UTF8&coliid=I11C5RQ9FZ0Y24&colid=YJ0XRIQQDFXY>.
        It was just recently published (and has been on my wishlist for over a
        year when I first heard about it).

        Welcome to the obsession. :)

        Finnseach
        --
        "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you
        know, sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24 9:40 PM
          sinyra wrote:
          [...]
          > I have noticed however that there aren't very many picts in the SCA
          > and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to go about playing
          > a PIct. I know there is not much information on them and I have done
          > extensive research I'm just hoping for some tips from the pros. :D

          Wow. I've seen more info here on Picts than I've seen in a long time.
          It will be interesting to read some of this and see what it was based
          on. It was my impression we had almost no info on the Picts other than
          some that Julius Caesar wrote.

          I do have this one, small file in the CULTURES section of the
          Florilegium:
          Picts-msg (14K) 11/ 4/96 Info. on the Picts. Name sources.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Picts-msg.html

          For those who've not heard of it, the Florilegium is a large site with
          over 2200 different files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval
          subjects. There is also a NEWCOMERS section there that might be of
          interest. The address can be found in my signature line below.

          I have just recently joined this list with the idea of being able to
          help answer some questions, perhaps by pointing folks to appropriate
          files in the Florilegium. I've been in the SCA for almost 20 years now.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25 6:01 AM
            On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 23:40 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
            > I have just recently joined this list with the idea of being able to
            > help answer some questions, perhaps by pointing folks to appropriate
            > files in the Florilegium. I've been in the SCA for almost 20 years
            > now.

            Thank you and welcome, Stefan!

            Newcomers, I second what Stefan has posted here. His collection of web
            information is well-maintained and extensive, and I highly recommend it.
            (Remember that Stefan links to external sites, so there may be
            disagreement among the sources. Read broadly on your topic of interest.)

            Stefan, please feel free to add a link to Florilegium, if there is not
            one already, in the appropriate folder of this Yahoo Group. :-)

            We've got some excellent research mavens on this list, and I'm very glad
            to see you added to their ranks. Again, welcome.

            Kind regards,

            Justin
            List Moderator

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Vanessa
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 25 6:02 AM
              Greetings, I'm just getting started myself and hope to learn as much as I can.
            • Judith Winner
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 25 7:18 AM
                On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...
                > wrote:

                > Wow. I've seen more info here on Picts than I've seen in a long time.
                > It will be interesting to read some of this and see what it was based
                > on. It was my impression we had almost no info on the Picts other than
                > some that Julius Caesar wrote.

                Welcome to the fun, Stefan. :)

                I'm actually taking part in the A&S50 Challenge <
                http://artsandsciences50.org/> and my focus is not just the Picts, but their
                textile production techniques. I started with a focus on 7th century Picts,
                but have since expanded to cover the entire "Pictish Era" (4th - 8th
                centuries) mostly before "the Viking Era". It has spawned some interesting
                side research topics for me - such as what 'breeds' of sheep were available
                to the Picts which has resulted in me teaching a class on Early Period Sheep
                at Pennsic this year.

                I'm sorta-kinda documenting my progress on my website <
                http://home.frognet.net/~judith/joomla/> under the topic "My A&S 50
                Challenge."

                Finnseach