Re: [SCA Newcomers] Leather Merch.

  • harden_garner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
      Hey thx for the help I went to Fools War and found a merchant with good prices.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

      > Hi Justin,
      > There were some fur merchants at Fools War.The prices were good. Maybe that Shire would know who they were.
      >
      > AElfwynn of Lynford
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ui Cainnech
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
        I did some digging, the merchants are apparently "Realeather". It seems
        they used to have a site at realeather.net, which is now owned by a squatter
        company.

        YiS
        Ciaran

        2009/6/15 Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

        > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:21 +0000, harden_garner wrote:
        > > I'm looking for a leather merchant that sells full hides. My SCA group
        > > has one but her is selling for really high prices.
        >
        > Fur and leather are very expensive, partly because of the toxicity of
        > some of the chemicals used in commercial tanning and the disposal costs
        > thereof. I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if you aren't able to
        > find low prices.
        >
        > I have bought from the Real Leather people at Pennsic several times. I
        > did a quick Google and didn't see a link for them offhand, so I'm not
        > sure if they have a web page or not. (Unfortunately, the term "real
        > leather" is also a generic description, so searching that gives a lot of
        > false positives.)
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
        > fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > justin@... <justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
          And don't forget, if you think your local prices are high, just take a look
          at the current standard at Tandy.
          http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/choosecountry/choosecountry.aspx

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          I did some digging, the merchants are apparently "Realeather". It seems
          they used to have a site at realeather.net, which is now owned by a
          squatter
          company.

          YiS
          Ciaran

          2009/6/15 Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

          > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:21 +0000, harden_garner wrote:
          > > I'm looking for a leather merchant that sells full hides. My SCA group
          > > has one but her is selling for really high prices.
          >
          > Fur and leather are very expensive, partly because of the toxicity of
          > some of the chemicals used in commercial tanning and the disposal costs
          > thereof. I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if you aren't able to
          > find low prices.
          >
          > I have bought from the Real Leather people at Pennsic several times. I
          > did a quick Google and didn't see a link for them offhand, so I'm not
          > sure if they have a web page or not. (Unfortunately, the term "real
          > leather" is also a generic description, so searching that gives a lot of
          > false positives.)
          >
          > Justin
          >
          > --
          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
          > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
          > fesswise reversed sable.
          >
          > justin@... <justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • Robert Bohler
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
            Has anyone tried Tandy Leather supplies?
            www.tandyleatherfactory.com

            Robert Bohler
            Canton of Grefells
            Kingdom of Ealdormere
            I did some digging, the merchants are apparently "Realeather". It seems
            they used to have a site at realeather.net, which is now owned by a squatter
            company.

            YiS
            Ciaran

            2009/6/15 Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

            > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:21 +0000, harden_garner wrote:
            > > I'm looking for a leather merchant that sells full hides. My SCA group
            > > has one but her is selling for really high prices.
            >
            > Fur and leather are very expensive, partly because of the toxicity of
            > some of the chemicals used in commercial tanning and the disposal costs
            > thereof. I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if you aren't able to
            > find low prices.
            >
            > I have bought from the Real Leather people at Pennsic several times. I
            > did a quick Google and didn't see a link for them offhand, so I'm not
            > sure if they have a web page or not. (Unfortunately, the term "real
            > leather" is also a generic description, so searching that gives a lot of
            > false positives.)
            >
            > Justin
            >
            > --
            > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
            > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
            > fesswise reversed sable.
            >
            > justin@... <justin%404th.com> http://4th.com/sca/justin/

          • Shere'e
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
              What area are you in? Here in Seattle we have a great store called
              McPherson's leather. ( http://www.macphersonleather.com/ ) I prefer to go
              into the store so you can see the leather you are getting but they do sell
              it on the internet.

              Miranda
              Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

              www.webeweddings.com
              Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2009
                On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 09:41 -0400, ui Cainnech wrote:
                > I did some digging, the merchants are apparently "Realeather". It
                > seems
                > they used to have a site at realeather.net, which is now owned by a
                > squatter
                > company.