[SCA Newcomers] Re: soap laurel

  • jon.horde
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
      Lady Aelfwyn Elswith,
      Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but sadly, even with such a specific name as sca_soapandcandle_making, there is no information on that group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy my grocery coupons book" type ads.
      Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
      YIS
      Jon
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
        Greetings Jon,
        My daughter and her friends make homemade laundry soap. It's really strange to watch and you can mix it with your bare hands. Let me look and I'll find you a recipe or someone to ask about bath soap too.

        AElfwynn
        Shire of Beau Fort
        Kingdom of Meridies

        ________________________________
        Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but sadly, even with such a specific name as sca_soapandcandle_ making, there is no information on that group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy my grocery coupons book" type ads.
        Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
        YIS
        Jon

      • Lava Quod est Sordidium
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
          > Greetings,
          > My name ia AElfwynn from the Shire of Beau Fort.
          > There is a yahoo group just for soap makers. Here's the
          > website.
          >
          > My brother Renart of Berwick is in the Antir Kingdom and he
          > raises miniature goats. I'm hoping he'll start making soap
          > too.
          > Have a great time.
          >
          > In your service,
          > AElfwynn

          Thanks for the suggestion! But I gotta tell yah, I've been on that list for years and it's been very quiet. Maybe this will help start some activity.

          The older Aelfwyn
        • Lava Quod est Sordidium
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
            > Lady Aelfwyn Elswith,
            > Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but
            > sadly, even with such a specific name as
            > sca_soapandcandle_making, there is no information on that
            > group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy
            > my grocery coupons book" type ads.
            > Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the
            > known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
            > YIS
            > Jon

            Way back when I chose that name (many many moons ago) no one was using it. Now, I've run into three other Aelfwyns just in my area. The one that posted the sca soap and candle list suggestion is not me.
            And no, no one in the SCA - and in the mundane world only as a historic example - useses home made lye to make soap. I'm sure that you've experienced many of the reasons why.
            I look forward to hearing about your successes when you finally screw up the gumption to make some.

            Keep us informed!
            Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve