Re: soap laurel

  • mkslocomb
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
      Lava Quod est Sordidium <lavaquod@...> wrote:
      > > Hello, I want to make soap. Is there
      > > a soap laurel out there
      > > My homemade lye will be KOH, not NaOH.
      > >
      > > ps one bit of advice I got on the lye water strength was to
      > > boil it down to the same SG. of a saturated salt water
      > > solution. Now I just need to know how much to use.
      >

      > It occurs to me that another option is to go strictly mundane: Check with your local college or even high school for contact information for the chemistry teacher. S/He might have a better insight into the recipe you're looking for and might even be able to incorporate it into their curriculum.
      >
      > Keep us up dated!
      > Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve
      > Proprietrix (both mundanely and societally) of Lava Quod Est Sordidium Soapworks

      ... clipped a lot...
      you also might want to try "Foxfire" or some of the "oldtimer" type books or even ask Mother Earth News or Countryside Magazine.
      Hope that helps.
      Misty
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
        Greetings,
        My name ia AElfwynn from the Shire of Beau Fort.
        There is a yahoo group just for soap makers. Here's the website.

        My brother Renart of Berwick is in the Antir Kingdom and he raises miniature goats. I'm hoping he'll start making soap too.
        Have a great time.

        In your service,
        AElfwynn

        ________________________________
        > > ps one bit of advice I got on the lye water strength was to
        > > boil it down to the same SG. of a saturated salt water
        > > solution. Now I just need to know how much to use.
        >

        > It occurs to me that another option is to go strictly mundane: Check with your local college or even high school for contact information for the chemistry teacher. S/He might have a better insight into the recipe you're looking for and might even be able to incorporate it into their curriculum.
        >
        > Keep us up dated!
        > Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve
        > Proprietrix (both mundanely and societally) of Lava Quod Est Sordidium Soapworks

        ... clipped a lot...
        you also might want to try "Foxfire" or some of the "oldtimer" type books or even ask Mother Earth News or Countryside Magazine.
        Hope that helps.
        Misty

      • jon.horde
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
          Lady Aelfwyn Elswith,
          Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but sadly, even with such a specific name as sca_soapandcandle_making, there is no information on that group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy my grocery coupons book" type ads.
          Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
          YIS
          Jon
        • wendy brown
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
            Greetings Jon,
            My daughter and her friends make homemade laundry soap. It's really strange to watch and you can mix it with your bare hands. Let me look and I'll find you a recipe or someone to ask about bath soap too.

            AElfwynn
            Shire of Beau Fort
            Kingdom of Meridies

            ________________________________
            Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but sadly, even with such a specific name as sca_soapandcandle_ making, there is no information on that group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy my grocery coupons book" type ads.
            Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
            YIS
            Jon

          • Lava Quod est Sordidium
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
              > Greetings,
              > My name ia AElfwynn from the Shire of Beau Fort.
              > There is a yahoo group just for soap makers. Here's the
              > website.
              >
              > My brother Renart of Berwick is in the Antir Kingdom and he
              > raises miniature goats. I'm hoping he'll start making soap
              > too.
              > Have a great time.
              >
              > In your service,
              > AElfwynn

              Thanks for the suggestion! But I gotta tell yah, I've been on that list for years and it's been very quiet. Maybe this will help start some activity.

              The older Aelfwyn
            • Lava Quod est Sordidium
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2009
                > Lady Aelfwyn Elswith,
                > Thank you, yes, I joined that group, even saw your post but
                > sadly, even with such a specific name as
                > sca_soapandcandle_making, there is no information on that
                > group about soap. It is just an ad blog cluttered with "buy
                > my grocery coupons book" type ads.
                > Thank you for trying, I have to assume that no one in the
                > known world uses homemade lye to make soap anymore.
                > YIS
                > Jon

                Way back when I chose that name (many many moons ago) no one was using it. Now, I've run into three other Aelfwyns just in my area. The one that posted the sca soap and candle list suggestion is not me.
                And no, no one in the SCA - and in the mundane world only as a historic example - useses home made lye to make soap. I'm sure that you've experienced many of the reasons why.
                I look forward to hearing about your successes when you finally screw up the gumption to make some.

                Keep us informed!
                Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve