Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name

  • Callahan Patrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
      Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you care to put as an SCA name on the membership form... I am there by Kreyze Padreyk. A name having nothing to do with anything historical or authentic to any culture or any time period. I admit fully that it is not submitted and not registered, but I did not have the troubles of registering it either, and there for my research could be minimal.

      Lost And Confused

      Patrick Callahan

      Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name
      Thursday, 4 June, 2009 8:56 PM

      "Maria Buchanan" <scarlettmb@...>Add sender to Contacts

      To:
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

      Jessica,
      As far as I know, you have to show documentation from at least close to the time period.  EG - if you want a late 15th C persona and the documentation you find on the name you want is from the early 16th C it's usually ok.  However, if you're talking about a 14th C Irish persona and the name is documented in 12th c that's a little too much time between them.
      That was the information I had at least.  I'm not a herald.
      Maria

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
        Jessica

        Patrick Callahan wrote:
        > Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you
        > care to put as an SCA name on the membership form...

        To clarify, having it on your membership card in no way makes a name
        official. You can, indeed, have anything printed there, including
        "Elizabeth, Queen of England" or "Dazzle Lips Sparklepony", because
        it means absolutely nothing. You can also just leave it blank,
        which is probably the best move if you haven't yet decided for sure
        what you want your S.C.A. name to be. That way, if you've got your
        mind made up in a month or six you can just write it in, and don't
        have to wait for the old "Dazzle Lips" card to expire before you can
        have one with the name you've chosen. So far as I know, the only
        reason there'sa "known in the Society as" line on the membership
        cards at all is because it makes it easier to communicate the correct
        spelling to gate staff when you check in at events, to marshals
        filling out warrant cards, etc.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra