Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
      Quoth Jessica:
      > I understand I have plenty of time to choose a name, but I have a question.=
      > Since you must be able to provide proper documentation to have your name a=
      > pproved, is it okay to show documentation from another century?=A0 For exam=
      > ple, if I want my persona to be from 14th century Ireland and I find docume=
      > ntation that a name was used in the 12th or 15th century...is it ok to choo=
      > se that name?

      Yes. When you submit your name for registration, all that matters
      is the documentation that you have, and not what your persona story
      is. If you check the box requesting that your name be made authentic
      for a particular time period and place, the commenters will try to
      find information that will justify the name in your desired time
      period and place, but if they cannot, and the name is appropriate for
      an earlier or later period, then the discrepancy won't cause any
      problems.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
        Jessica,
        As far as I know, you have to show documentation from at least close to the time period.  EG - if you want a late 15th C persona and the documentation you find on the name you want is from the early 16th C it's usually ok.  However, if you're talking about a 14th C Irish persona and the name is documented in 12th c that's a little too much time between them.
        That was the information I had at least.  I'm not a herald.
        Maria

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
          Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you care to put as an SCA name on the membership form... I am there by Kreyze Padreyk. A name having nothing to do with anything historical or authentic to any culture or any time period. I admit fully that it is not submitted and not registered, but I did not have the troubles of registering it either, and there for my research could be minimal.

          Lost And Confused

          Patrick Callahan

          Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name
          Thursday, 4 June, 2009 8:56 PM

          "Maria Buchanan" <scarlettmb@...>Add sender to Contacts

          To:
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Messages in this topic (10) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
          Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
        • Coblaith Muimnech
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
            Jessica

            Patrick Callahan wrote:
            > Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you
            > care to put as an SCA name on the membership form...

            To clarify, having it on your membership card in no way makes a name
            official. You can, indeed, have anything printed there, including
            "Elizabeth, Queen of England" or "Dazzle Lips Sparklepony", because
            it means absolutely nothing. You can also just leave it blank,
            which is probably the best move if you haven't yet decided for sure
            what you want your S.C.A. name to be. That way, if you've got your
            mind made up in a month or six you can just write it in, and don't
            have to wait for the old "Dazzle Lips" card to expire before you can
            have one with the name you've chosen. So far as I know, the only
            reason there'sa "known in the Society as" line on the membership
            cards at all is because it makes it easier to communicate the correct
            spelling to gate staff when you check in at events, to marshals
            filling out warrant cards, etc.

            Coblaith Muimnech
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra