Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3 11:11 PM
      Elizabeth Walpole wrote:
      > If you decided that you want a first name from the 14th century and
      > a surname from the 15th century there could potentially be a
      > problem, if you can document it them to within a few decades of one
      > another you will probably be OK but a large gap in date (e.g. 100
      > years or more) could get the name rejected.

      The Society's standards are a little looser than that. If a name
      contains name phrases that can't be documented closer than 300 years
      apart, it's described as being "one step from period practice". (The
      precedent was set in 1993 <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1993/03/
      cvr.html>. The only thing that's changed since is the terminology;
      it used to be called "a weirdness".) Names that are two steps from
      period practice are returned for more work.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4 1:33 AM
        Quoth Jessica:
        > I understand I have plenty of time to choose a name, but I have a question.=
        > Since you must be able to provide proper documentation to have your name a=
        > pproved, is it okay to show documentation from another century?=A0 For exam=
        > ple, if I want my persona to be from 14th century Ireland and I find docume=
        > ntation that a name was used in the 12th or 15th century...is it ok to choo=
        > se that name?

        Yes. When you submit your name for registration, all that matters
        is the documentation that you have, and not what your persona story
        is. If you check the box requesting that your name be made authentic
        for a particular time period and place, the commenters will try to
        find information that will justify the name in your desired time
        period and place, but if they cannot, and the name is appropriate for
        an earlier or later period, then the discrepancy won't cause any
        problems.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4 6:56 PM
          Jessica,
          As far as I know, you have to show documentation from at least close to the time period.  EG - if you want a late 15th C persona and the documentation you find on the name you want is from the early 16th C it's usually ok.  However, if you're talking about a 14th C Irish persona and the name is documented in 12th c that's a little too much time between them.
          That was the information I had at least.  I'm not a herald.
          Maria

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7 7:22 PM
            Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you care to put as an SCA name on the membership form... I am there by Kreyze Padreyk. A name having nothing to do with anything historical or authentic to any culture or any time period. I admit fully that it is not submitted and not registered, but I did not have the troubles of registering it either, and there for my research could be minimal.

            Lost And Confused

            Patrick Callahan

            Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name
            Thursday, 4 June, 2009 8:56 PM

            "Maria Buchanan" <scarlettmb@...>Add sender to Contacts

            To:
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

[...]

            Messages in this topic (10) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
          • Coblaith Muimnech
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7 11:38 PM
              Jessica

              Patrick Callahan wrote:
              > Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you
              > care to put as an SCA name on the membership form...

              To clarify, having it on your membership card in no way makes a name
              official. You can, indeed, have anything printed there, including
              "Elizabeth, Queen of England" or "Dazzle Lips Sparklepony", because
              it means absolutely nothing. You can also just leave it blank,
              which is probably the best move if you haven't yet decided for sure
              what you want your S.C.A. name to be. That way, if you've got your
              mind made up in a month or six you can just write it in, and don't
              have to wait for the old "Dazzle Lips" card to expire before you can
              have one with the name you've chosen. So far as I know, the only
              reason there'sa "known in the Society as" line on the membership
              cards at all is because it makes it easier to communicate the correct
              spelling to gate staff when you check in at events, to marshals
              filling out warrant cards, etc.

              Coblaith Muimnech
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra