Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
      You're very helpful, thank you!

      --- On Thu, 6/4/09, Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@...> wrote:

      From: Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 1:51 AM

      Jessica wrote:

      > . . .if I want my persona to be from 14th century Ireland and I

      > find documentation that a name was used in the 12th or 15th

      > century...is it ok to choose that name?

      There are two separate questions here.

      1) Can you register with the College of Arms a name that you cannot

      document to the period in which your persona is set?

      Yes. Whether the name and/or armory you submit are appropriate to

      the persona you usually play (and, indeed, whether you even do

      persona play) is irrelevant to the registration process. The name

      will be evaluated for internal consistency, but no effort will be

      made to determine whether it matches your clothes.

      2) Can you put together a name that might plausibly been used in a

      given period by selecting elements that your documentation shows as

      part of the naming pool in some other?

      Maybe, if you get lucky.

      Names come in and out of fashion. New names are introduced to the

      name pool, and old ones are dropped from it. Sometimes, old names

      are re-introduced and become popular again. A name that was widely

      used in the 12th century might have been completely unknown by the

      14th, and one that had never been heard in the 14th might have been a

      favorite a century later. Consider "Ethel", "Mildred", "Florence",

      and "Edna", all among the 20 most popular names for girls born in the

      U.S. in 1808 for whom Social Security numbers were issued and not

      even in the top 1000 in 2008, or "Madison", "Alyssa", and "Alexis",

      which weren't in the top 1000 a century ago and were among the top 20

      last year. And then there's "Chloe", which was moderately popular

      from the beginning of the century 'til about World War II, then

      dropped out of the top thousand for 40 years before reappearing and

      shooting up to the top 10. <http://www.ssa. gov/OACT/ babynames/>

      This is another of those (many) situations in which you'll have to

      make your own determination as to what's good enough. We have fewer

      readily available sources of information on some cultures and periods

      than others, and the more complete the record is, naturally, the more

      solid are the conclusions we can draw based on that record. If there

      are thousands of records with a given name in it from one century and

      thousands of records from another century, none of which include that

      name, it's pretty evident that the name belongs to the former and not

      the latter. If only a handful of names are recorded from each

      period, it's impossible to say whether a name is on one list and not

      the other because it was used in one period and not the other or

      because it just happened to be among the half dozen written down in

      one and not the other. Most places and times fall somewhere between

      those extremes.

      Coblaith Muimnech

      Barony of Bryn Gwlad

      Kingdom of Ansteorra

      <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

      <http://coblaith. net>

    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
        Elizabeth Walpole wrote:
        > If you decided that you want a first name from the 14th century and
        > a surname from the 15th century there could potentially be a
        > problem, if you can document it them to within a few decades of one
        > another you will probably be OK but a large gap in date (e.g. 100
        > years or more) could get the name rejected.

        The Society's standards are a little looser than that. If a name
        contains name phrases that can't be documented closer than 300 years
        apart, it's described as being "one step from period practice". (The
        precedent was set in 1993 <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1993/03/
        cvr.html>. The only thing that's changed since is the terminology;
        it used to be called "a weirdness".) Names that are two steps from
        period practice are returned for more work.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
          Quoth Jessica:
          > I understand I have plenty of time to choose a name, but I have a question.=
          > Since you must be able to provide proper documentation to have your name a=
          > pproved, is it okay to show documentation from another century?=A0 For exam=
          > ple, if I want my persona to be from 14th century Ireland and I find docume=
          > ntation that a name was used in the 12th or 15th century...is it ok to choo=
          > se that name?

          Yes. When you submit your name for registration, all that matters
          is the documentation that you have, and not what your persona story
          is. If you check the box requesting that your name be made authentic
          for a particular time period and place, the commenters will try to
          find information that will justify the name in your desired time
          period and place, but if they cannot, and the name is appropriate for
          an earlier or later period, then the discrepancy won't cause any
          problems.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
            Jessica,
            As far as I know, you have to show documentation from at least close to the time period.  EG - if you want a late 15th C persona and the documentation you find on the name you want is from the early 16th C it's usually ok.  However, if you're talking about a 14th C Irish persona and the name is documented in 12th c that's a little too much time between them.
            That was the information I had at least.  I'm not a herald.
            Maria

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
              Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you care to put as an SCA name on the membership form... I am there by Kreyze Padreyk. A name having nothing to do with anything historical or authentic to any culture or any time period. I admit fully that it is not submitted and not registered, but I did not have the troubles of registering it either, and there for my research could be minimal.

              Lost And Confused

              Patrick Callahan

              Re: [SCA Newcomers] choosing an SCA name
              Thursday, 4 June, 2009 8:56 PM

              "Maria Buchanan" <scarlettmb@...>Add sender to Contacts

              To:
              scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

[...]

              Messages in this topic (10) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar
            • Coblaith Muimnech
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                Jessica

                Patrick Callahan wrote:
                > Just make up a name they will print anything on your card that you
                > care to put as an SCA name on the membership form...

                To clarify, having it on your membership card in no way makes a name
                official. You can, indeed, have anything printed there, including
                "Elizabeth, Queen of England" or "Dazzle Lips Sparklepony", because
                it means absolutely nothing. You can also just leave it blank,
                which is probably the best move if you haven't yet decided for sure
                what you want your S.C.A. name to be. That way, if you've got your
                mind made up in a month or six you can just write it in, and don't
                have to wait for the old "Dazzle Lips" card to expire before you can
                have one with the name you've chosen. So far as I know, the only
                reason there'sa "known in the Society as" line on the membership
                cards at all is because it makes it easier to communicate the correct
                spelling to gate staff when you check in at events, to marshals
                filling out warrant cards, etc.

                Coblaith Muimnech
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra