Re: [SCA Newcomers] New members!

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
      I totally agree, Justin.  And actually that was exactly what I was trying to say.
      You don't have to have a registered name - literally ever.  However, if you want to register a name and device and develop a persona, my suggestion is to start using a name (like I did and apparently you did Justin) and see if it fits.  LOL Mine happened to be Maria.  Everyone still calls me Lady Maria to this day.  Even though my registered name is now Elizabeta Maria dei Medici.
      Anyway, Justin said what I wanted to a WHOLE lot better.  I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router tomorrow night.  Anyone in Houston and know about computers?  I really don't want to do this alone.  LOL
      Later all
      Maria

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
        On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:36 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
        > I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router
        > tomorrow night. Anyone in Houston and know about computers? I really
        > don't want to do this alone. LOL

        I'm not in Houston, but I do happen to know quite a bit about computers
        and connectivity to the Internet. I'll be glad to offer what help I can
        by email, but we need to take the discussion off-list. Feel free to
        email me any questions at my private address if you wish. :-)

        Caveat: I know about the Internet and connectivity and computers, but
        not specifically about Windows because I run Linux here. Most of the
        concepts are universal, though.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
          In a message dated 5/31/2009 9:09:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          missy.stillings@... writes:

          <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
          that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
          the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

          You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

          However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
          your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
          loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
          their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
          contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
          is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
          you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
          event) if you don't.

          Lancaster, PA
          cntnew00000007)

        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
            Also for starter garb if you want to have your own for pants and this is both sexes actually, the basic pajama pants that tie up standard black or blue green whatever. A basic T tunic which you can get directions on how to make from just about anywhere, good boots as most sites are in the woods and can be covered with the normal selection of mud/bugs/itchy plants. Tada your in garb!

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            "Man is not Lost!"

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            From: bronwynmgn@...
            Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:09:58 -0400

            missy.stillings@... writes:

            <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
            that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
            the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

            You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

            However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
            your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
            loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
            their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
            contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
            is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
            you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
            event) if you don't.

            Lancaster, PA
            **************We found the real �Hotel California� and the �Seinfeld�
            cntnew00000007)

          • missy cutler
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
              I can certainly handle making up some of these things, I've made them before so nothing new. And, we both already have good boots. Thanks!

              Missy