Re: [SCA Newcomers] New members!

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
      Sarah,

      First let me welcome you to the SCA.
      I also want to commend you for wanting to develop persona, name and device.  However, I am going to reiterate what some have already said.  Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you want your persona to be, give it a year.  Many people who are not the best of sewers, will choose a persona by the ease of making the garb.  I did that.  Luckily, I became a slightly better seemstress since I joined the SCA and I am now capable of making garb that is slightly more difficult than what I was capable of before.

      Just a thought.  If you are like me and can't afford to pay someone to make your garb and you can't make the more difficult stuff, you may want to wait to choose a name and register one at a later date.  It is not required that you have a registered name or device or a persona.

      I am now in the process of creating a secondary persona that I will use when I want to.  It's going to be my more fun persona.

      Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
      Maria Buchanan
      Shire of Gate's Edge
      Kingdom of Ansteorra.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
        On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
        > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
        > want your persona to be, give it a year.

        Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
        suggestion.

        The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
        name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
        as I learned more.

        I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
        the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
        born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
        exist in 963, of course.)

        When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
        was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
        that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
        would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
        idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
        In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
        "general contractor."

        So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
        name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
        traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
        formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
        the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

        Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
        presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
        been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
        that of my lady wife, Milica.

        Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
        final destination.

        I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
        slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
        incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
        "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
        certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
        persona at all.

        I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
        required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
        all.

        P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
        guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
        think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
        World that I was calling "Byzantine"...{shudder} :-)

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Maria Buchanan
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
          I totally agree, Justin.  And actually that was exactly what I was trying to say.
          You don't have to have a registered name - literally ever.  However, if you want to register a name and device and develop a persona, my suggestion is to start using a name (like I did and apparently you did Justin) and see if it fits.  LOL Mine happened to be Maria.  Everyone still calls me Lady Maria to this day.  Even though my registered name is now Elizabeta Maria dei Medici.
          Anyway, Justin said what I wanted to a WHOLE lot better.  I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router tomorrow night.  Anyone in Houston and know about computers?  I really don't want to do this alone.  LOL
          Later all
          Maria

          On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
          > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
          > want your persona to be, give it a year.

          Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
          suggestion.

          The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
          name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
          as I learned more.

          I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
          the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
          born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
          exist in 963, of course.)

          When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
          was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
          that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
          would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
          idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
          In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
          "general contractor."

          So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
          name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
          traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
          formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
          the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

          Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
          presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
          been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
          that of my lady wife, Milica.

          Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
          final destination.

          I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
          slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
          incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
          "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
          certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
          persona at all.

          I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
          required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
          all.

          P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
          guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
          think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
          World that I was calling "Byzantine". ..{shudder} :-)

          Kind regards,

          ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
            On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:36 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
            > I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router
            > tomorrow night. Anyone in Houston and know about computers? I really
            > don't want to do this alone. LOL

            I'm not in Houston, but I do happen to know quite a bit about computers
            and connectivity to the Internet. I'll be glad to offer what help I can
            by email, but we need to take the discussion off-list. Feel free to
            email me any questions at my private address if you wish. :-)

            Caveat: I know about the Internet and connectivity and computers, but
            not specifically about Windows because I run Linux here. Most of the
            concepts are universal, though.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
              In a message dated 5/31/2009 9:09:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              missy.stillings@... writes:

              <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
              that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
              the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

              You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

              However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
              your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
              loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
              their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
              contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
              is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
              you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
              event) if you don't.

              Lancaster, PA
              cntnew00000007)

            • christopher chastain
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                Also for starter garb if you want to have your own for pants and this is both sexes actually, the basic pajama pants that tie up standard black or blue green whatever. A basic T tunic which you can get directions on how to make from just about anywhere, good boots as most sites are in the woods and can be covered with the normal selection of mud/bugs/itchy plants. Tada your in garb!

                Yours in Humble Service,
                Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                "Man is not Lost!"

                To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                From: bronwynmgn@...
                Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:09:58 -0400

                missy.stillings@... writes:

                <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
                that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
                the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

                You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

                However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
                your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
                loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
                their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
                contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
                is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
                you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
                event) if you don't.

                Lancaster, PA
                **************We found the real �Hotel California� and the �Seinfeld�
                cntnew00000007)

              • missy cutler
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                  I can certainly handle making up some of these things, I've made them before so nothing new. And, we both already have good boots. Thanks!

                  Missy