Re: [SCA Newcomers] New members!

  • svanarose
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2009
      I am very glad to see someone saying these things to newcomers. Even though i am a newcomer, ive experienced just enough hassles, headaches and stressers about this to be able to advise other newcomers.

      The hassles, headaches and stressers i speak of DID NOT come from the SCA by no means. It came from just a handful of individuals that try and control things within their prospective groups.

      In the beginning i was led to believe i had to have a name chosen before i could join. Before i could submit a name, i had to have a persona created with a history of this persona. Even more such "have to" stuff. Once i debunked some of those things i began to enjoy this so much more. Basically because i was able to take things at a pace that was comfortable for me.

      The best thing i ever did for myself in this was reach out and ask questions to many. Reading the SCA site helps a lot.

      With all due sincerity and respect
      Svana

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

      > Hello Sarah, and welcome to the SCA and SCA Newcomers,
      >
      > I think it's great that you want to develop a persona right away, but I
      > would like to point out that you do not need to have a persona, name or
      > device to become a member.
      > There is no obligation to ever develop a persona, or register a name.
      > You may, if you wish to, do all of those things, and I personally think it's
      > one of the fun parts of the SCA, but it is not a requirement.
      > That said, if you would like help finding a name from a particular time or
      > place, this is a good list to ask for help.
      > If you haven't found it yet, http://www.sca.org/ has a whole section devoted
      > to helping people figure out personas, names and devices, as well as some
      > basic garb and how to find the group nearest to you.
      > There are also links to other websites which are devoted to special
      > interests, like heraldry.
      >
      > I myself enjoy rapier, target archery, singing, playing the bowed psaltery,
      > sewing - both garb and armour, cold working metal armour, leather working,
      > and recently I have been learning about couched embroidery.
      > My current name doesn't reflect my current interest in Persian garb and
      > music.
      > Not all of the things I am enjoying doing are appropriate for either the
      > Persian persona or the Elizabethan persona - nor is that a requirement - you
      > may try as many things as you wish to and have time for.
      > If you wish to restrict yourself to hobbies and activities that would have
      > been done by your persona, you may, but you don't have to.
      >
      > Sorry about the lecture, but it's been awhile since it was last said on this
      > list, and I hope many new people will benefit from this advice.
      >
      > Do your research, try lots of new things, but most importantly, have fun,
      >
      > Tabitha Pennywarden
      > Ravenslake, Midlands
      > Middle Kingdom

    • Maria Buchanan
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
        Sarah,

        First let me welcome you to the SCA.
        I also want to commend you for wanting to develop persona, name and device.  However, I am going to reiterate what some have already said.  Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you want your persona to be, give it a year.  Many people who are not the best of sewers, will choose a persona by the ease of making the garb.  I did that.  Luckily, I became a slightly better seemstress since I joined the SCA and I am now capable of making garb that is slightly more difficult than what I was capable of before.

        Just a thought.  If you are like me and can't afford to pay someone to make your garb and you can't make the more difficult stuff, you may want to wait to choose a name and register one at a later date.  It is not required that you have a registered name or device or a persona.

        I am now in the process of creating a secondary persona that I will use when I want to.  It's going to be my more fun persona.

        Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Shire of Gate's Edge
        Kingdom of Ansteorra.

        Just wanted to introduce myself since we had a few other introductions. My name is Sarah (no persona name yet). I'm not even a member yet, but I'm finding a name so I can be. I just attended War Practice, which was my first event, and I can't wait to get involved.

        Some of my hobbies are: leather working, chainmaille, sewing, and metal casting. I'm also interested in picking up competition archery.

        That's about it. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

        ~Sarah~

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
          On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
          > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
          > want your persona to be, give it a year.

          Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
          suggestion.

          The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
          name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
          as I learned more.

          I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
          the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
          born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
          exist in 963, of course.)

          When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
          was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
          that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
          would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
          idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
          In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
          "general contractor."

          So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
          name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
          traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
          formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
          the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

          Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
          presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
          been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
          that of my lady wife, Milica.

          Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
          final destination.

          I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
          slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
          incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
          "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
          certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
          persona at all.

          I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
          required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
          all.

          P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
          guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
          think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
          World that I was calling "Byzantine"...{shudder} :-)

          Kind regards,

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Maria Buchanan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
            I totally agree, Justin.  And actually that was exactly what I was trying to say.
            You don't have to have a registered name - literally ever.  However, if you want to register a name and device and develop a persona, my suggestion is to start using a name (like I did and apparently you did Justin) and see if it fits.  LOL Mine happened to be Maria.  Everyone still calls me Lady Maria to this day.  Even though my registered name is now Elizabeta Maria dei Medici.
            Anyway, Justin said what I wanted to a WHOLE lot better.  I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router tomorrow night.  Anyone in Houston and know about computers?  I really don't want to do this alone.  LOL
            Later all
            Maria

            On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
            > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
            > want your persona to be, give it a year.

            Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
            suggestion.

            The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
            name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
            as I learned more.

            I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
            the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
            born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
            exist in 963, of course.)

            When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
            was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
            that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
            would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
            idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
            In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
            "general contractor."

            So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
            name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
            traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
            formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
            the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

            Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
            presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
            been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
            that of my lady wife, Milica.

            Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
            final destination.

            I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
            slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
            incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
            "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
            certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
            persona at all.

            I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
            required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
            all.

            P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
            guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
            think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
            World that I was calling "Byzantine". ..{shudder} :-)

            Kind regards,

            ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
              On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:36 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
              > I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router
              > tomorrow night. Anyone in Houston and know about computers? I really
              > don't want to do this alone. LOL

              I'm not in Houston, but I do happen to know quite a bit about computers
              and connectivity to the Internet. I'll be glad to offer what help I can
              by email, but we need to take the discussion off-list. Feel free to
              email me any questions at my private address if you wish. :-)

              Caveat: I know about the Internet and connectivity and computers, but
              not specifically about Windows because I run Linux here. Most of the
              concepts are universal, though.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                In a message dated 5/31/2009 9:09:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                missy.stillings@... writes:

                <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
                that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
                the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

                You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

                However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
                your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
                loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
                their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
                contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
                is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
                you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
                event) if you don't.

                Lancaster, PA
                cntnew00000007)

              • christopher chastain
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Also for starter garb if you want to have your own for pants and this is both sexes actually, the basic pajama pants that tie up standard black or blue green whatever. A basic T tunic which you can get directions on how to make from just about anywhere, good boots as most sites are in the woods and can be covered with the normal selection of mud/bugs/itchy plants. Tada your in garb!

                  Yours in Humble Service,
                  Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                  "Man is not Lost!"

                  To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: bronwynmgn@...
                  Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:09:58 -0400

                  missy.stillings@... writes:

                  <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
                  that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
                  the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

                  You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

                  However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
                  your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
                  loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
                  their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
                  contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
                  is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
                  you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
                  event) if you don't.

                  Lancaster, PA
                  **************We found the real �Hotel California� and the �Seinfeld�
                  cntnew00000007)

                • missy cutler
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                    I can certainly handle making up some of these things, I've made them before so nothing new. And, we both already have good boots. Thanks!

                    Missy