New members!

  • johnstonkristiana
    Message 1 of 21 , May 27, 2009
      I would like to introduce myself and my husband. We are John and Kristi Johnston and we have been warmly welcomed into the Barony of Marcaster. We have lots of interests: sewing, caligraphy, heraldry, fighting, archery, and I'm sure when we attend more events we will have many more!
      We'd like to thank everyone in the Barony for being so welcoming and kind! We look forward to many classes and events!

      Vivat!
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 21 , May 28, 2009
        Quoth "johnstonkristiana":
        > I would like to introduce myself and my husband. We are John and Kristi John
        > ston and we have been warmly welcomed into the Barony of Marcaster. We have l
        > ots of interests: sewing, caligraphy, heraldry, fighting, archery, and I'm su
        > re when we attend more events we will have many more!

        Welcome! If you're interested in heraldry, then you might want to
        join the mailing list for heralds in Trimaris --
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoHTrimaris/. There are also a couple
        of Trimarian heralds on scaheralds.ning.com, if you want to meet
        them in a bit more informal setting.

        -Aryanhwy, herald geek :)

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 21 , May 28, 2009
          On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 02:24 +0000, johnstonkristiana wrote:
          > I would like to introduce myself and my husband. We are John and
          > Kristi Johnston and we have been warmly welcomed into the Barony of
          > Marcaster. We have lots of interests: sewing, caligraphy, heraldry,
          > fighting, archery, and I'm sure when we attend more events we will
          > have many more!
          > We'd like to thank everyone in the Barony for being so welcoming and
          > kind! We look forward to many classes and events!

          Welcome to the SCA and to the list!

          Where is Marcaster?

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Kristiana D. Johnston
          Message 4 of 21 , May 28, 2009
            Thank you so much! The info on heraldry is so helpful!
            And thanks for the welcome!

            Message 5 of 21 , May 28, 2009
              Rhanks for the welcome!
              The Barony of Marcaster has it's meetings in Largo, Fl

              On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 02:24 +0000, johnstonkristiana wrote:
              > I would like to introduce myself and my husband. We are John and
              > Kristi Johnston and we have been warmly welcomed into the Barony of
              > Marcaster. We have lots of interests: sewing, caligraphy, heraldry,
              > fighting, archery, and I'm sure when we attend more events we will
              > have many more!
              > We'd like to thank everyone in the Barony for being so welcoming and
              > kind! We look forward to many classes and events!

              Welcome to the SCA and to the list!

              Where is Marcaster?

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

            • svanarose
              Message 6 of 21 , May 29, 2009
                Welcome! And welcome to Trimaris.

                I am Svana (Victoria). I live within the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area. I consider myself still a newcomer since this is only my second year as an SCA member. I have only been to 3 SCA events so far. Two of which were Kinddom events. But i am getting to meet people and experience new things all the time. Made it to my first feast at TMT. Still unpacking and drying out (from the rain not the mead) from that little adventure. Hopefully soon we will meet at an event. But for now im pinching the penny so that i can make it to Pennsic. Pennsic last year was my first event ever and it locked me into this realm.

                Again....Welcome!

                With all due sincerity and respect
                Svana

                Message 7 of 21 , May 29, 2009
                  On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 18:47 -0400, Kristiana D. Johnston wrote:
                  > The Barony of Marcaster has it's meetings in Largo, Fl

                  Kingdom of Trimaris, then. :-)

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • intuitiveartisan
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 29, 2009
                    Just wanted to introduce myself since we had a few other introductions. My name is Sarah (no persona name yet). I'm not even a member yet, but I'm finding a name so I can be. I just attended War Practice, which was my first event, and I can't wait to get involved.

                    Some of my hobbies are: leather working, chainmaille, sewing, and metal casting. I'm also interested in picking up competition archery.

                    That's about it. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

                    ~Sarah~
                  • Kristiana D. Johnston
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 30, 2009
                      Thank you!
                      Where are you?

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 30, 2009
                        On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 11:25 -0400, Kristiana D. Johnston wrote:
                        > Thank you!
                        > Where are you?

                        Marche of Alderford, modernly Canton, Ohio. Middle Kingdom.
                        http://www.alderford.org/ if you're curious.

                        fesswise reversed sable.

                        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      • Kyla
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 31, 2009
                          Hello Sarah, and welcome to the SCA and SCA Newcomers,

                          I think it's great that you want to develop a persona right away, but I
                          would like to point out that you do not need to have a persona, name or
                          device to become a member.
                          There is no obligation to ever develop a persona, or register a name.
                          You may, if you wish to, do all of those things, and I personally think it's
                          one of the fun parts of the SCA, but it is not a requirement.
                          That said, if you would like help finding a name from a particular time or
                          place, this is a good list to ask for help.
                          If you haven't found it yet, http://www.sca.org/ has a whole section devoted
                          to helping people figure out personas, names and devices, as well as some
                          basic garb and how to find the group nearest to you.
                          There are also links to other websites which are devoted to special
                          interests, like heraldry.

                          I myself enjoy rapier, target archery, singing, playing the bowed psaltery,
                          sewing - both garb and armour, cold working metal armour, leather working,
                          and recently I have been learning about couched embroidery.
                          My current name doesn't reflect my current interest in Persian garb and
                          music.
                          Not all of the things I am enjoying doing are appropriate for either the
                          Persian persona or the Elizabethan persona - nor is that a requirement - you
                          may try as many things as you wish to and have time for.
                          If you wish to restrict yourself to hobbies and activities that would have
                          been done by your persona, you may, but you don't have to.

                          Sorry about the lecture, but it's been awhile since it was last said on this
                          list, and I hope many new people will benefit from this advice.

                          Do your research, try lots of new things, but most importantly, have fun,

                          Tabitha Pennywarden
                          Ravenslake, Midlands
                          Middle Kingdom

                          Just wanted to introduce myself since we had a few other introductions. My
                          name is Sarah (no persona name yet). I'm not even a member yet, but I'm
                          finding a name so I can be. I just attended War Practice, which was my first
                          event, and I can't wait to get involved.

                          Some of my hobbies are: leather working, chainmaille, sewing, and metal
                          casting. I'm also interested in picking up competition archery.

                          That's about it. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

                          ~Sarah~

                        • christopher chastain
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 31, 2009
                            Best advice I've ever heard on names and devices is to wait a year or two before you submit one. Make sure its from a culture and time period you actually like as the first year or two you will actually bounce thru a couple before you decide on one.

                            Yours in Humble Service,
                            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                            "Man is not Lost!"

                            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 31, 2009
                              Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!

                              Missy in Meridies

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 31, 2009
                                I am very glad to see someone saying these things to newcomers. Even though i am a newcomer, ive experienced just enough hassles, headaches and stressers about this to be able to advise other newcomers.

                                The hassles, headaches and stressers i speak of DID NOT come from the SCA by no means. It came from just a handful of individuals that try and control things within their prospective groups.

                                In the beginning i was led to believe i had to have a name chosen before i could join. Before i could submit a name, i had to have a persona created with a history of this persona. Even more such "have to" stuff. Once i debunked some of those things i began to enjoy this so much more. Basically because i was able to take things at a pace that was comfortable for me.

                                The best thing i ever did for myself in this was reach out and ask questions to many. Reading the SCA site helps a lot.

                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                                > Hello Sarah, and welcome to the SCA and SCA Newcomers,
                                >
                                > I think it's great that you want to develop a persona right away, but I
                                > would like to point out that you do not need to have a persona, name or
                                > device to become a member.
                                > There is no obligation to ever develop a persona, or register a name.
                                > You may, if you wish to, do all of those things, and I personally think it's
                                > one of the fun parts of the SCA, but it is not a requirement.
                                > That said, if you would like help finding a name from a particular time or
                                > place, this is a good list to ask for help.
                                > If you haven't found it yet, http://www.sca.org/ has a whole section devoted
                                > to helping people figure out personas, names and devices, as well as some
                                > basic garb and how to find the group nearest to you.
                                > There are also links to other websites which are devoted to special
                                > interests, like heraldry.
                                >
                                > I myself enjoy rapier, target archery, singing, playing the bowed psaltery,
                                > sewing - both garb and armour, cold working metal armour, leather working,
                                > and recently I have been learning about couched embroidery.
                                > My current name doesn't reflect my current interest in Persian garb and
                                > music.
                                > Not all of the things I am enjoying doing are appropriate for either the
                                > Persian persona or the Elizabethan persona - nor is that a requirement - you
                                > may try as many things as you wish to and have time for.
                                > If you wish to restrict yourself to hobbies and activities that would have
                                > been done by your persona, you may, but you don't have to.
                                >
                                > Sorry about the lecture, but it's been awhile since it was last said on this
                                > list, and I hope many new people will benefit from this advice.
                                >
                                > Do your research, try lots of new things, but most importantly, have fun,
                                >
                                > Tabitha Pennywarden
                                > Ravenslake, Midlands
                                > Middle Kingdom

                              • Maria Buchanan
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
                                  Sarah,

                                  First let me welcome you to the SCA.
                                  I also want to commend you for wanting to develop persona, name and device.  However, I am going to reiterate what some have already said.  Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you want your persona to be, give it a year.  Many people who are not the best of sewers, will choose a persona by the ease of making the garb.  I did that.  Luckily, I became a slightly better seemstress since I joined the SCA and I am now capable of making garb that is slightly more difficult than what I was capable of before.

                                  Just a thought.  If you are like me and can't afford to pay someone to make your garb and you can't make the more difficult stuff, you may want to wait to choose a name and register one at a later date.  It is not required that you have a registered name or device or a persona.

                                  I am now in the process of creating a secondary persona that I will use when I want to.  It's going to be my more fun persona.

                                  Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                                  Maria Buchanan
                                  Shire of Gate's Edge
                                  Kingdom of Ansteorra.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
                                    On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
                                    > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
                                    > want your persona to be, give it a year.

                                    Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
                                    suggestion.

                                    The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
                                    name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
                                    as I learned more.

                                    I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
                                    the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
                                    born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
                                    exist in 963, of course.)

                                    When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
                                    was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
                                    that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
                                    would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
                                    idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
                                    In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
                                    "general contractor."

                                    So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
                                    name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
                                    traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
                                    formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
                                    the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

                                    Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
                                    presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
                                    been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
                                    that of my lady wife, Milica.

                                    Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
                                    final destination.

                                    I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
                                    slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
                                    incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
                                    "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
                                    certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
                                    persona at all.

                                    I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
                                    required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
                                    all.

                                    P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
                                    guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
                                    think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
                                    World that I was calling "Byzantine"...{shudder} :-)

                                    Kind regards,

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
                                      I totally agree, Justin.  And actually that was exactly what I was trying to say.
                                      You don't have to have a registered name - literally ever.  However, if you want to register a name and device and develop a persona, my suggestion is to start using a name (like I did and apparently you did Justin) and see if it fits.  LOL Mine happened to be Maria.  Everyone still calls me Lady Maria to this day.  Even though my registered name is now Elizabeta Maria dei Medici.
                                      Anyway, Justin said what I wanted to a WHOLE lot better.  I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router tomorrow night.  Anyone in Houston and know about computers?  I really don't want to do this alone.  LOL
                                      Later all
                                      Maria

                                      On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
                                      > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
                                      > want your persona to be, give it a year.

                                      Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
                                      suggestion.

                                      The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
                                      name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
                                      as I learned more.

                                      I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
                                      the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
                                      born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
                                      exist in 963, of course.)

                                      When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
                                      was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
                                      that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
                                      would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
                                      idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
                                      In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
                                      "general contractor."

                                      So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
                                      name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
                                      traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
                                      formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
                                      the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

                                      Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
                                      presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
                                      been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
                                      that of my lady wife, Milica.

                                      Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
                                      final destination.

                                      I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
                                      slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
                                      incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
                                      "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
                                      certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
                                      persona at all.

                                      I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
                                      required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
                                      all.

                                      P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
                                      guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
                                      think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
                                      World that I was calling "Byzantine". ..{shudder} :-)

                                      Kind regards,

                                      ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 1, 2009
                                        On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:36 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
                                        > I'm tired, at work and contemplating installing a new DSL modem/Router
                                        > tomorrow night. Anyone in Houston and know about computers? I really
                                        > don't want to do this alone. LOL

                                        I'm not in Houston, but I do happen to know quite a bit about computers
                                        and connectivity to the Internet. I'll be glad to offer what help I can
                                        by email, but we need to take the discussion off-list. Feel free to
                                        email me any questions at my private address if you wish. :-)

                                        Caveat: I know about the Internet and connectivity and computers, but
                                        not specifically about Windows because I run Linux here. Most of the
                                        concepts are universal, though.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                                          In a message dated 5/31/2009 9:09:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                          missy.stillings@... writes:

                                          <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
                                          that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
                                          the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

                                          You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

                                          However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
                                          your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
                                          loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
                                          their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
                                          contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
                                          is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
                                          you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
                                          event) if you don't.

                                          Lancaster, PA
                                          cntnew00000007)

                                        • christopher chastain
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                                            Also for starter garb if you want to have your own for pants and this is both sexes actually, the basic pajama pants that tie up standard black or blue green whatever. A basic T tunic which you can get directions on how to make from just about anywhere, good boots as most sites are in the woods and can be covered with the normal selection of mud/bugs/itchy plants. Tada your in garb!

                                            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: bronwynmgn@...
                                            Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:09:58 -0400

                                            missy.stillings@... writes:

                                            <<Well, it certainly helped me! Thank you! There are a couple of events
                                            that my husband and I are hoping to get to and I was worried about garb and all
                                            the other persona stuff. Thanks, again!>>

                                            You do need to have some sort of basic garb to attend an event.

                                            However, it doesn't have to be specific to what you think you might want
                                            your persona to be eventually. Most local groups either have a store of
                                            loaner garb that you can borrow from, or members who are willing to loan some of
                                            their own garb to newcomers. You can find out if this is available by
                                            contacting either the Chatelaine/Hospitaller (alternate names for the person who
                                            is in charge of helping newcomers get started) for the group in question if
                                            you know who that is, or contacting the autocrat (the person running the
                                            event) if you don't.

                                            Lancaster, PA
                                            **************We found the real �Hotel California� and the �Seinfeld�
                                            cntnew00000007)

                                          • missy cutler
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 2, 2009
                                              I can certainly handle making up some of these things, I've made them before so nothing new. And, we both already have good boots. Thanks!

                                              Missy