Device Emblazonry

  • realmwatching
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18 4:35 PM
      Good day, all! I'm looking to get my device emblazoned, but I'm not sure how accurate this is, so hopefully someone well-versed in heraldric terminology can help me out (and my shire's herald is on vacation)

      Here's version 1.
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/Realmwatcher/myshield.jpg

      I can't seem to find the way to specify the narrow black bands. I've only found "sable, a pale argent" but that's for the dividing the field into equal thirds, and that's not what I want.

      Then there is version 2:
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/Realmwatcher/myshield2.jpg

      Which is possibly said "Argent, a cross couped sable to chief, two torteaus to base."

      Version 1 is what I really want, though I'll settle the second.
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19 12:47 PM
        realmwatching wrote:
        > I'm looking to get my device emblazoned. . .hopefully someone well-
        > versed in heraldric terminology can help me out. . .

        You're looking for a blazon for the device you're proposing. An
        emblazon is a picture.

        > Here's version 1.
        > http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/Realmwatcher/myshield.jpg
        >
        > I can't seem to find the way to specify the narrow black bands.
        > I've only found "sable, a pale argent" but that's for the dividing
        > the field into equal thirds, and that's not what I want.

        There's a truism S.C.A. heralds use: Difficulty in blazoning often
        indicates poor period style.

        I think a pale is as close as you're going to get with this one, and
        I also think that as it is drawn at the moment this device is
        unlikely to be registered. The pale is just too wide. I think you'd
        be asked to redraw.

        The closest blazonable alternative I could think of is a pair of
        flaunches (like the sable flaunches in the third device in the top
        row at <http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/bsb00001647/images/index.html?
        seite=42>). If you switched the black bands along the sides of your
        proposed device to flaunches, the blazon for the resulting device
        would be, "Argent, in pale a cross couped sable and two torteaus,
        flaunches sable."

        > Then there is version 2:
        > http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/Realmwatcher/myshield2.jpg
        >
        > Which is possibly said "Argent, a cross couped sable to chief, two
        > torteaus to base."

        "Argent, in pale a cross couped sable and two torteaus."

        But in both your emblazons the charges are small and oddly spaced
        (the torteaus closer to each other than to the cross). In medieval
        heraldry, charges were normally drawn to fill the available space,
        and charges within a single charge group were usually more-or-less
        evenly spaced. I suggest you look at some real medieval and/or
        Renaissance emblazons to get a better feel for period style. The
        Medieval Heraldry Archive is a good place to start <s-gabriel.org/
        heraldry/>. The best models for you will be devices with charged
        pales or with charges between flaunches or devices with charges in
        pale (i.e., lined up down the middle of the field, one above the other).

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19 3:26 PM
          On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 14:47 -0500, Coblaith Muimnech wrote:
          > realmwatching wrote:
          > > I'm looking to get my device emblazoned. . .hopefully someone well-
          > > versed in heraldric terminology can help me out. . .
          >
          > You're looking for a blazon for the device you're proposing. An
          > emblazon is a picture.

          [... etc. ...]

          Thanks for an informative post, Lord Coblaith. I've been in the SCA
          since the early 1990s, and one of my as-yet-unrealized ambitions is to
          learn more heraldry. :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , May 20 4:58 AM
            > > I'm looking to get my device emblazoned. . .hopefully someone well-
            > > versed in heraldric terminology can help me out. . .
            >
            > You're looking for a blazon for the device you're proposing. An
            > emblazon is a picture.

            Thanks for an informative post, Lord Coblaith. I've been in the SCA
            since the early 1990s, and one of my as-yet-unrealized ambitions is to
            learn more heraldry. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            Umm that would be Lady Coblaith.

            Egill Skorrason