Re: Boots or Store-bought foot ware

  • far2busy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2009
      Hi Heather,

      I play late period and wear Clarks Original Desert Boots. It is an unlined leather ankle boot. The sole is crepe rubber, but the leather upper looks very period. There are four grommets in the lace holes, but they are easy to remove for a more period look. Cost is about $80.oo online including shipping. Hope this helps and good luck.

      YiS,
      Lord Cú Chonnacht Ó Tighearnáin
      Seneschal, Chatelain, and Chronicler, Shire of Stonecroft
      Quartermaster, Southern Cross Rapier Team
      Student of Warder Ceanntighern Macillechallum
      All around nice guy

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amsngog" <amsngog@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm new to this site. It's a pleasure to meet all of you.
      >
      > I would like to know if there is any general style of modern boot which can pass as something historical? Namely 1500-1600, Western European or Russian.
      >
      > I don't have the money to buy anything custom made, so I was hoping to find a commercially sold boot which would pass. Or, if someone knows of a shortcut to make your own boots, I'm all ears.
      >
      > Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
      >
      > Heather

    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2009
        Hello Heather,

        Welcome to SCA newcomers!

        I had not seen Clark's before, but they do indeed look like a period
        construction.
        Here is a link to the website:
        http://www.clarksoriginals.com/
        Look in men's collection; it's the only one with a picture.

        You can also try Son of Sandlar:
        http://www.sandlarboots.com/
        if you want more options.
        The site is currently under construction, but I have a pair of the Merchant
        boots, and they are both period in look and very comfortable to my modern
        feet.
        Son of Sandlar has a booth at Pennsic, and also has booths at many RenFaires
        throughout the USA - so you can try the boots on, and get exactly what you
        want. The sales people are usually very knowledgeable and helpful, so ask
        questions if you have them.
        I don't remember how much my boots were, but I think they were more
        expensive than the Clark's.

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        I play late period and wear Clarks Original Desert Boots. It is an unlined
        leather ankle boot. The sole is crepe rubber, but the leather upper looks
        very period. There are four grommets in the lace holes, but they are easy to
        remove for a more period look. Cost is about $80.oo online including
        shipping. Hope this helps and good luck.

        YiS,
        Lord Cú Chonnacht Ó Tighearnáin
        Seneschal, Chatelain, and Chronicler, Shire of Stonecroft
        Quartermaster, Southern Cross Rapier Team
        Student of Warder Ceanntighern Macillechallum
        All around nice guy

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "amsngog" <amsngog@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to this site. It's a pleasure to meet all of you.
        >
        > I would like to know if there is any general style of modern boot which
        can pass as something historical? Namely 1500-1600, Western European or
        Russian.

        > I don't have the money to buy anything custom made, so I was hoping to
        find a commercially sold boot which would pass. Or, if someone knows of a
        shortcut to make your own boots, I'm all ears.

        > Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
        >
        > Heather

      • missy cutler
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2009
          Hi, Heather!

          I am very new to the SCA as well but I do have a recommendation for shoes. Here is the link: http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/

          My husband has a pair of the high tops and I have a pair of the low tops. We LOVE them! The gathers are actually slashes in the leather. It helps to ventilate them and also to cut down on the bulk some. They are definitely fine for winter wear. We tried wearing them in the summer with no socks...they were WAY TOO hot for Alabama! With some good wool socks or stockings they should be fine for a winter event, I would think. They are for a Highland type of persona, I think. We wear them with our mundane clothes when it is cool enough.

          Anyway, I hope I haven't overstepped myself. Good luck! One day I'll get all of my thoughts together enough to post a proper introduction.

          Missy
        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2009
            Another good site which I have a pair of boots from is http://www.scaboots.com They are decent boots not overly expensive and are very versatile. Only complaint is I had to put some arch support in mine.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            "Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter accusations!"

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2009
              In a message dated 5/14/2009 3:52:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              missy.stillings@... writes:

              <<I am very new to the SCA as well but I do have a recommendation for
              shoes. Here is the link: http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/>>

              Medieval Mocs are a great place to start and they last forever; I had a
              pair for 12 years, got them resoled once by the vendor for a cost fo about $10
              (they also did some other repairs at the same time). They are really
              comfortable as well unless you are used to something like combat boots - my
              military friends can't really handle them because they are so used to the tight
              support of the boots. On the other hand, while they are a version of an old
              Roman sandal, they aren't completely period for anywhere/anytime that I'm
              aware of. That may or may not be an issue for you right now, and they are
              certainly good enough for SCA use.

              My suggestion would be to go to some of the sites others have posted and
              look at the styles of period shoes. One of the most complete is
              _http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM_
              (http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM) which is a research paper,
              effectively, rather than a merchant's page. Some other good merchant places to go
              are _www.medievalshoes.com_ (http://www.medievalshoes.com) and Boots By
              Bohemond (not sure of the exact URL, but it should come up on Google). Once
              you've gotten an idea of what historically accurate shoes for your time period
              and place look like, then you will have a better idea if what the merchants
              are selling is accurate. In some cases, it may also allow you to look in a
              modern shoe store and find a style that is reminiscent of period footwear -
              over the years that I've been in the SCA, there have been mundane shoes
              that have gone in and out of style that are quite appropriate for SCA use.

              Lancaster, PA
              **************Recession-proof vacation ideas. Find free things to do in
              the U.S.

            • Labhaoise O'Beachain
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2009
                For those with more skill than money....

                http://www.instructables.com/id/Viking_shoes/
                Labhaoise

                missy cutler <missy.stillings@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Heather!
                >
                > I am very new to the SCA as well but I do have a recommendation for shoes. Here is the link: http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/
                >
                > My husband has a pair of the high tops and I have a pair of the
              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2009
                  Thank you for posting this link. What an excellent tutorial!

                  I remember reading a while back of someone purchasing a leather jacket from a thrift store and they were going to attempt making shoes out of them. If that person is reading, could you please update on your progress? I would love to hear how you've done!

                  Lisa

                  Is tú mo ghrá