Persona Help

  • shanabur329
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2009
      I just started getting involved in the SCA last fall and have more recently been working on a persona and was hoping to get some feedback/advice about what I have so far. I was thinking about being British at about 1390/1400 because I really like the clothes of that period, specifically the cotehardies and houpplelandes, which would have just been coming into style. On St. Gabriel, I found the name Saiena in a 1381 Suffolk tax record, which I think sounds similar enough to my own that I'll probably answer to it. Any help with pronunciation would be appreciated. Suffolk at the time was a major cloth manufacturer and I thought that my father could be a merchant, which would expose me to fashions from Burgundy.

      I'd appreciate any advice or feedback as to what I'm thinking. I know I need to find a last name and figured I could just go back to the same tax record and pick one.

      Thanks very much in advance!
    • jessg74@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14, 2009
        I'm searching for a name and persona myself, and I found this website to be of great help. Pick your language and person to read, then type in your work or name. You'll hear it pronounced!

        Blessings,
        Jessica

        http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shanabur329" <princess55012002@...> wrote:

        > I just started getting involved in the SCA last fall and have more recently been working on a persona and was hoping to get some feedback/advice about what I have so far. I was thinking about being British at about 1390/1400 because I really like the clothes of that period, specifically the cotehardies and houpplelandes, which would have just been coming into style. On St. Gabriel, I found the name Saiena in a 1381 Suffolk tax record, which I think sounds similar enough to my own that I'll probably answer to it. Any help with pronunciation would be appreciated. Suffolk at the time was a major cloth manufacturer and I thought that my father could be a merchant, which would expose me to fashions from Burgundy.
        >
        > I'd appreciate any advice or feedback as to what I'm thinking. I know I need to find a last name and figured I could just go back to the same tax record and pick one.
        >
        > Thanks very much in advance!

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 15, 2009
          On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 21:55 +0000, jessg74@... wrote:
          > I'm searching for a name and persona myself, and I found this website
          > to be of great help. Pick your language and person to read, then type
          > in your work or name. You'll hear it pronounced!
          >
          > Blessings,
          > Jessica
          >
          > http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html

          I played with this a bit, and noted that it's phoneme-based text to
          speech. This may have problems with medievally-spelled names (especially
          those with multiple variants), such as "Meadhbh" (pronounced "Mehv").

          What was interesting to me was that two different "speakers" from the
          same language do not pronounce the same string the same way. It is not
          just a matter of pitch or intonation, but rather the phoneme algorithms
          appear to be different. For example, "Laura" (US English) did a much
          better job than the default speaker ("Heather") from the same language,
          on several phrases I tried. Type in:

          I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

          for both speakers, and listen to the difference in the word "can't". (By
          the way, I know there is grammatically a comma after "sorry", but the
          web site doesn't handle it well.)

          I did a fair amount of development work in this field back in college,
          mumbledy-mumble years ago, and found it interesting that their
          mathematical speaker models differ in substantive ways rather than just
          in pitch.

          I could paste in a phrase from Canterbury Tales for their software to
          chew on...am I that cruel? :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2009
            On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 07:54 -0400, Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
            > I could paste in a phrase from Canterbury Tales for their software to
            > chew on...am I that cruel? :-)

            Yes, it turns out I am.

            I pasted in some of the prologue and let "Laura" speak it. The result
            was a pretty decent modern phonetic pronunciation of the text, but
            nothing close to Middle English. This was pretty much what I expected,
            and I don't fault the software for not being able to do Chaucer. After
            all, it was not designed to speak medieval languages, and Middle English
            is a challenge even for modern-world humans. Still, it was a fun
            experiment. :-)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Labhaoise O'Beachain
            Message 5 of 12 , May 15, 2009
              Just for kicks, I put MY name in... it say something that sounds like "the boys". I am guessing unless you are looking a simple, english based names, this isn't going to work!
              Labhaoise

              "jessg74@..." <jessg74@...> wrote:

              > I'm searching for a name and persona myself, and I found this website to be of great help. Pick your language and person to read, then type in your work or name. You'll hear it pronounced!
              >
              > Blessings,
              > Jessica
              >
              > http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html
              >

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "shanabur329" <princess55012002@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just started getting involved in the SCA last fall and have more recently been working on a persona and was hoping to get some feedback/advice about what I have so far. I was thinking about being British at about 1390/1400 because I really like the clothes of that period, specifically the cotehardies and houpplelandes, which would have just been coming into style. On St. Gabriel, I found the name Saiena in a 1381 Suffolk tax record, which I think sounds similar enough to my own that I'll probably answer to it. Any help with pronunciation would be appreciated. Suffolk at the time was a major cloth manufacturer and I thought that my father could be a merchant, which would expose me to fashions from Burgundy.
              > >
              > > I'd appreciate any advice or feedback as to what I'm thinking. I know I need to find a last name and figured I could just go back to the same tax record and pick one.
              > >
              > > Thanks very much in advance!

            • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
              Message 6 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                I had to go to the Danish speaker for mine...and it was very fast and hard
                to understand.

                I then remembered I had meant to download my Danish TTS program to the
                computer.

                So I did. It sounds similar but I can slow it down and get a better
                pronunciation.

                Won't help for English though...

                YIS,

                Giertrud Gyldenstierne

                (g'yair-trood ghee-yule-den-sti-air-nuh)

                God is my lyght and saluation, whom then shall I feare? God is the strength
                of my life, of whom then shall I be afraide?

                On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Labhaoise O'Beachain <
                labhaoise_obeachain@...> wrote:

                > Just for kicks, I put MY name in... it say something that sounds like "the
                > boys". I am guessing unless you are looking a simple, english based names,
                > this isn't going to work!
                > Labhaoise

              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                  I typed in Orlaith and each speaker said the name just as typed. I was told that Orlaith sounded like "Orla". Justin, do you know how it is pronounced?

                  Thank you,

                  Lisa

                  Is tú mo ghrá

                  On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 07:54 -0400, Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:

                  > I could paste in a phrase from Canterbury Tales for their software to

                  > chew on...am I that cruel? :-)

                  Yes, it turns out I am.

                  I pasted in some of the prologue and let "Laura" speak it. The result

                  was a pretty decent modern phonetic pronunciation of the text, but

                  nothing close to Middle English. This was pretty much what I expected,

                  and I don't fault the software for not being able to do Chaucer. After

                  all, it was not designed to speak medieval languages, and Middle English

                  is a challenge even for modern-world humans. Still, it was a fun

                  experiment. :-)

                  ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                    oh oops maybe "sti" should be written "stee" to eschew obfuscation (avoid
                    confusion)
                    YIS,

                    Giertrud Gyldenstierne

                    God is my lyght and saluation, whom then shall I feare? God is the strength
                    of my life, of whom then shall I be afraide?

                  • Sara L Uckelman
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                      Quoth Lisa:
                      > I typed in Orlaith and each speaker said the name just as typed. I was told=
                      > that Orlaith sounded like "Orla".

                      That's a reasonable approximation. During the 10th-13th C (which is
                      when <Orlaith> was in use -- see "Index of Names in Irish Annals"
                      http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/), the name was
                      pronounced something like \OAR-l@\, where \@\ is the sound of <a>

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est
                      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                        On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 06:20 -0700, Lisa wrote:
                        > I typed in Orlaith and each speaker said the name just as typed. I was
                        > told that Orlaith sounded like "Orla". Justin, do you know how it is
                        > pronounced?

                        Sorry, I don't. My review of the TTS algorithm was based on the fact
                        that I"m an expert in computer hardware design and did some TTS work
                        back in the days when that was new science. I'm a computer geek, but not
                        a linguist. :-)

                        On the other hand, this list is full of people who probably *can* help
                        you, so I'll just stay out of their way.

                        fesswise reversed sable.

                        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      • Kristen Praiswater
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                          Yeah I just put in a name I chose for an Irish persona I was working on.  My son heard the name being pronounced, laughed and said mom you have to change your persona because I can't even pronounce the name.

                          Kristen
                          Still in persona limbo

                          "jessg74@... " <jessg74@... > wrote:

                          > I'm searching for a name and persona myself, and I found this website to be of great help. Pick your language and person to read, then type in your work or name. You'll hear it pronounced!

                          > Blessings,

                          > Jessica

                          > http://www.acapela- group.com/ text-to-speech- interactive- demo.html

                          > --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, "shanabur329" <princess55012002@ > wrote:

                          > > I just started getting involved in the SCA last fall and have more recently been working on a persona and was hoping to get some feedback/advice about what I have so far. I was thinking about being British at about 1390/1400 because I really like the clothes of that period, specifically the cotehardies and houpplelandes, which would have just been coming into style. On St. Gabriel, I found the name Saiena in a 1381 Suffolk tax record, which I think sounds similar enough to my own that I'll probably answer to it. Any help with pronunciation would be appreciated. Suffolk at the time was a major cloth manufacturer and I thought that my father could be a merchant, which would expose me to fashions from Burgundy.

                          > > I'd appreciate any advice or feedback as to what I'm thinking. I know I need to find a last name and figured I could just go back to the same tax record and pick one.

                          > > Thanks very much in advance!

                        • JESSICA GIONET
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                            I'm looking for a french name and I must've gone through a million until I could pronounce 3 or four of them...now onto research them and narrow it down... It can be a bit difficult, although they do pronounce them the correct way..

                            Jessica

                            From: Labhaoise O'Beachain <labhaoise_obeachain @...>

                            To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                            Date: Friday, May 15, 2009, 8:02 AM