Re: [SCA Newcomers] historic names

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2009
      Robert Bohler wrote:
      > . . .I don't really need to select a surname at all do I? I could
      > therefore choose a common first name, such as Ulrich, or Uther, and
      > then adopt then addendum "of Greyfells" for example.

      It is possible to *register* a name consisting of a period given name
      and a locative byname constructed from the name of an S.C.A. branch.
      But such a name will very rarely be historically plausible.

      If you're at all interested in creating a fully fleshed-out persona
      (and some people aren't, and that's O.K.), you'll want to give him a
      name that somebody living in your period of interest might really
      have used. And even if you aren't really interested in persona play,
      if you want the things you make or do in the S.C.A. to have firm
      historic foundations, you will probably find yourself, after a while,
      wanting a realistic medieval or Renaissance name to go with them.
      Constructing such a name really isn't difficult. You could just
      decide where and when you'd like to "be from", find a list of names
      from that place and time, and pick a given name and a byname or
      surname from the list. If you want a German name, the Medieval Names
      Archive's guide to German names <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
      german.shtml> is a good place to start. Several variants of "Ulrich"
      are found in the article "German Names from N├╝rnberg, 1497" <http://
      www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/nurnberg1497.html>, for
      instance. So if you want "Ulrich" or something like it and want a
      realistic late-15th-century High German name, all you have to do is
      choose one from the extensive list of surnames in that article. It's
      a 30-second process.

      By the way, "Uther" wasn't a common name in period, and isn't
      German. It's a literary name found in Sir Thomas Malory's "Le Morte
      d'Arthur". It can be registered (with an appropriate byname) because
      there is evidence of English and French parents giving their children
      names out of Arthurian legend in certain places at certain times in
      period <http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/
      CompiledNamePrecedents/MythicalAndLiteraryNames.html#Uther>. But if
      you're looking to create a German name, it's not the best choice.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>