Re: [SCA Newcomers] Name Help

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2009
      Quoth "Ruth":
      > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the n
      > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon' an
      > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.

      These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
      French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
      diminutive of <Yvon>.

      The pattern of forming a new French feminine name from a French
      masculine name by either adding <-e> or doubling the final consonant
      and then adding <-e> (the former is more common earlier, the latter
      more common later) is well documented. In fact, the name <Yuone>
      (where the <u> is being used as a variant of <v>) is found in
      "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
      (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) dated to 1560.
      <Yvonne> itself can be found in "Late Period French Feminine Names"
      (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrench.html), dated
      to 1499 and 1504, but with a caveat -- the source for this article
      standardized the given names, so it is not 100% sure that these
      two women spelled their <Yvonne> (it might have been <Yvone>, or
      <Yuone> or <Yuonne>, e.g.). However, given the standard practice
      of feminizing French names, <Yvonne> is completely unremarkable.

      To see some examples of this pattern of feminization, here are
      some masculine/feminine pairs from "French Names from Paris, 1421,
      1423, & 1438" (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html):

      MASCULINE FEMININE
      Jehan Jehanne
      Perret Perrette
      Denis Denise
      Deniset Denisete, Denisette
      Colet Collette
      Gillet Gillette
      Guiot Guiote, Guiotte
      Oudin Oudine
      Symon Symonne
      Thomas Thomasse

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2009
        Quoth Sara L Uckelman:
        > Quoth "Ruth":
        > > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the
        > > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon'
        > an
        > > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.
        >
        > These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
        > French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
        > diminutive of <Yvon>.

        I should've noted some sources for these. Both <Yvon> and <Yvonnet>
        can be found in "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
        (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html), and
        <Yve>, <Yves>, <Yvet>, <Yvon>, and <Yvonnet> can all be found in
        _Names in the 1292 census of Paris_
        (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/1292paris.pdf).
        "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
        (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) has both
        <Yues> and <Yuon>.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2009
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

          > Quoth Sara L Uckelman:
          > > Quoth "Ruth":
          > > > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the
          > > > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon'
          > > an
          > > > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.
          > >
          > > These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
          > > French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
          > > diminutive of <Yvon>.
          >
          > I should've noted some sources for these. Both <Yvon> and <Yvonnet>
          > can be found in "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
          > (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html), and
          > <Yve>, <Yves>, <Yvet>, <Yvon>, and <Yvonnet> can all be found in
          > _Names in the 1292 census of Paris_
          > (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/1292paris.pdf).
          > "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
          > (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) has both
          > <Yues> and <Yuon>."

          Thank you for the guidance, I will forward the links and feminization onto my friend, and hopefully she can speak with a herald soon.
          Lady Rose Atherton