Name Help

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 11:21 PM
      Greetings Scadians,
      My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the name 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon' and 'Yvonnet', both mens names. We believe that the name is French, however it is the sound of the name that she is most attracted to, and is open to any ethnicity/nationality.

      She is aware that she may register a man's name, as long as she is consistent, and she is also aware that she need not register a name in order to use it.

      We would appreciate any information any of you may have of another resource for a name that is or sounds like Yvonne, besides the masculine French Yvon/Yvonnet, especially if it is of Welsh, Scottish or Irish origin.
      Thank you.
      Lady Rose Athetron
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 2:40 AM
        Quoth "Ruth":
        > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the n
        > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon' an
        > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.

        These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
        French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
        diminutive of <Yvon>.

        The pattern of forming a new French feminine name from a French
        masculine name by either adding <-e> or doubling the final consonant
        and then adding <-e> (the former is more common earlier, the latter
        more common later) is well documented. In fact, the name <Yuone>
        (where the <u> is being used as a variant of <v>) is found in
        "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
        (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) dated to 1560.
        <Yvonne> itself can be found in "Late Period French Feminine Names"
        (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/latefrench.html), dated
        to 1499 and 1504, but with a caveat -- the source for this article
        standardized the given names, so it is not 100% sure that these
        two women spelled their <Yvonne> (it might have been <Yvone>, or
        <Yuone> or <Yuonne>, e.g.). However, given the standard practice
        of feminizing French names, <Yvonne> is completely unremarkable.

        To see some examples of this pattern of feminization, here are
        some masculine/feminine pairs from "French Names from Paris, 1421,
        1423, & 1438" (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html):

        MASCULINE FEMININE
        Jehan Jehanne
        Perret Perrette
        Denis Denise
        Deniset Denisete, Denisette
        Colet Collette
        Gillet Gillette
        Guiot Guiote, Guiotte
        Oudin Oudine
        Symon Symonne
        Thomas Thomasse

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 3:23 AM
          Quoth Sara L Uckelman:
          > Quoth "Ruth":
          > > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the
          > > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon'
          > an
          > > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.
          >
          > These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
          > French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
          > diminutive of <Yvon>.

          I should've noted some sources for these. Both <Yvon> and <Yvonnet>
          can be found in "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
          (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html), and
          <Yve>, <Yves>, <Yvet>, <Yvon>, and <Yvonnet> can all be found in
          _Names in the 1292 census of Paris_
          (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/1292paris.pdf).
          "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
          (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) has both
          <Yues> and <Yuon>.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11 7:29 AM
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

            > Quoth Sara L Uckelman:
            > > Quoth "Ruth":
            > > > My (female) friend is interested in joining the SCA and likes very much the
            > > > ame 'Yvonne'. I've done some poking around s-gabriel and have found 'Yvon'
            > > an
            > > > d 'Yvonnet', both mens names.
            > >
            > > These are all from the Continental Germanic masculine name <Ivo>; in
            > > French, the name became both <Yvon> and <Yves>. <Yvonnet> is a
            > > diminutive of <Yvon>.
            >
            > I should've noted some sources for these. Both <Yvon> and <Yvonnet>
            > can be found in "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
            > (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html), and
            > <Yve>, <Yves>, <Yvet>, <Yvon>, and <Yvonnet> can all be found in
            > _Names in the 1292 census of Paris_
            > (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/1292paris.pdf).
            > "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
            > (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/) has both
            > <Yues> and <Yuon>."

            Thank you for the guidance, I will forward the links and feminization onto my friend, and hopefully she can speak with a herald soon.
            Lady Rose Atherton