Re: [SCA Newcomers] Italian names

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 28 , May 7, 2009

      Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici wrote:
      > You use da for women. If you're doing a name like Maria of
      > Florence, it would be Maria da Firenze.. . .The di is used for men,
      > so if you're looking at female names you need the da rather than
      > the de.

      To what period and region have you documented these patterns?

      In just a couple of minutes in the Medieval Names Archive guide to
      Italian names <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml> I found
      evidence of the use in feminine surnames of the preposition "di" in
      14th-century Venice <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/>
      and 15th-century Tuscany <http://s-gabriel.org/3052> <http://www.s-
      gabriel.org/names/juliana/condado/>, of "de" in 15th-century Naples
      <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/italian/napleswomen.html>, and
      of both "di" and "de" in 16th-century Venice <http://www.s-
      gabriel.org/names/juliana/16thcvenice.html>.

      > . . .the de is actually dei and it's used for being of a family -
      > dei Medici, etc.

      "Dei" is an articulated preposition, formed by the combination of the
      preposition "di" with a masculine plural definite article <http://
      www.gwc.org.uk/ModernLang/hotpot/Italian2/prepsandarticpreps.html>.
      So while "di Silvestri" means "of Silvestro", "dei Medici" means "of
      the Medici". It is a late-period form. The earlier form was "degli"
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?3365>. "Dei"
      is sometimes abbreviated "de'" (that's dee, ee, apostrophe), but is a
      completely separate word from the preposition "de", which is used in
      in patronymic and locative bynames from various parts of Italy at
      various times in period (like in the 15th century, for example
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/italian15m.html>).

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 28 , May 7, 2009
        Kristen wrote:
        > I was looking at the 15th or 16th century in the tuscan region of
        > Italy. . .Our Baron pulled a name out of the air and named me
        > Rosabella . . .I like the first name and would like to continue
        > using it.

        Well, "Rosa" and "Bella" were both in use as feminine given names in
        Florence in the 15th century <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/
        catasto/>, and double given names were common (at least among the
        bourgeoisie) in Florence in the 14th through 16th centuries <http://s-
        gabriel.org/3225>, so there's a reasonable chance you'd be able to
        register "Rosa Bella [your favorite 15th-century Florentine byname]".

        Would that do?

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 28 , May 7, 2009
          Yeah I think it would do, it just never occurred to me to separate the names.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Once I figure out how to make the surname I'll give it a shot.  One can only try.  I'm still confused by all the di's, da's, and de's.  It reminds me of my high school Spanish and French classes where you have to put the right preposition in front of the word and change the ending to make it feminine.  I'll get it worked out though.  You guys are the greatest, I have know idea what I would do without you.

          Kristen

          > I was looking at the 15th or 16th century in the tuscan region of

          > Italy. . .Our Baron pulled a name out of the air and named me

          > Rosabella . . .I like the first name and would like to continue

          > using it.

          Well, "Rosa" and "Bella" were both in use as feminine given names in

          Florence in the 15th century <http://www.s- gabriel.org/ names/arval/

          catasto/>, and double given names were common (at least among the

          bourgeoisie) in Florence in the 14th through 16th centuries <http://s-

          gabriel.org/ 3225>, so there's a reasonable chance you'd be able to

          register "Rosa Bella [your favorite 15th-century Florentine byname]".

          Would that do?

          Coblaith Muimnech

          Barony of Bryn Gwlad

          Kingdom of Ansteorra

          <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

          <http://coblaith. net>

        • Coblaith Muimnech
          Message 4 of 28 , May 8, 2009

            Kristen wrote:
            > Once I figure out how to make the surname I'll give it a shot. One
            > can only try. I'm still confused by all the di's, da's, and de's.

            There's no need to make a name. Just go to an article that lists
            bynames or complete names from your period (like the one at <http://
            www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/condado/completenames.html>, for
            instance) and choose one off the list. See "Antonia di Nanni", be
            "Rosa Bella di Nanni". So far as I can tell by looking at the names
            lists and reading the articles on naming patterns, patronymic and
            locative bynames from your period were not gender-specific. So if
            you see a byname you like but it's used in the data with a masculine
            given name, you can probably use it anyway. If you'll tell me what
            you've got in mind, I can double-check it with some heralds who know
            a lot about Florentine names to make sure you've got the details right.

            Coblaith Muimnech
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            <http://coblaith.net>
          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 28 , May 8, 2009
              Quoth "Kristen":
              > Hello all, I have a quick question about Italian names. How are female names
              > constructed? I'm a little confused about the uses of di, da, and de. Do th
              > ese show that a surname is masculine and feminine? Or are they different ver
              > sions of "of"? I appreciate the help very much.

              They are different versions of "of". The short guide is:

              <da> is the "of" that is used with place names, e.g., <da Palermo>
              is "of Palermo".
              <di> is the "of" that is used with personal names to create a
              patronymic byname (i.e., one that says who your father was), e.g.,
              <di Giovanni> is "[child] of Giovanni".

              <de> is not Italian; it's the Latin preposition for "of", and
              when an Italian name is rendered in Latin, then it is used for
              both <da> and <di>.

              In general men and women used the same types of bynames in Italian --
              locative bynames (formed by <da> + <city name>), patronymic bynames
              (formed by <di> + <father's name), and family names (a catch all
              category for everything else). Locative and patronymic bynames
              do not have different forms for men and women. Some family names
              do, but most do not, so it's a case-by-case basis thing for them.

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                Quoth Maria Buchanan:
                > g of a family - dei Medici, etc.=A0 The di is used for men, so if you're lo=
                > oking at female names you need the da rather than the de.

                As I noted in my other email, this isn't quite right. Whether
                <da> or <di> is appropriate depends on the construction of
                the phrase that it's in, but not on the gender of the given name
                that phrase is modifying.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                  Quoth Coblaith Muimnech:
                  > So while "di Silvestri" means "of Silvestro", "dei Medici" means "of

                  Do you know of examples of bynames like <di Silvestri>? I would
                  have expected the patronymic based on <Silvestro> to be <di
                  Silvestro> without inflecting the given name, and the family name
                  based on <Silvestro> to be <Silvestri> without the preposition.

                  -Aryanhwy

                  --
                  vita sine literis mors est
                  http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                    Now I'm confused! Why is it Eleonora *di* Toledo? (I really need to speak to a herald about whether or not my chosen name is registerable.)

                    Ciana di Firenze/ Cindy

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Maria Buchanan <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

                    > You use da for women.  If you're doing a name like Maria of Florence, it would be Maria da Firenze.  the de is actually dei and it's used for being of a family - dei Medici, etc.  The di is used for men, so if you're looking at female names you need the da rather than the de.
                    > My best advice for you would be to find someone in your Kingdom who knows the heraldry rules for naming better than me.  I can tell you some simply because of the problems I had registering a name.
                    > Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici (called Lady Maria)
                    > Maria Bulgarelli Buchanan

                  • Sara L Uckelman
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                      Quoth "ciana_di_firenze":
                      > Now I'm confused! Why is it Eleonora *di* Toledo? (I really need to speak t=
                      > o a herald about whether or not my chosen name is registerable.)

                      It's actually <Leonor _de_ Toledo> -- her name is Spanish,
                      and in Spanish, the preposition for "of" is <de>.

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est
                      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                        I wrote:
                        > "di Silvestri" means "of Silvestro"

                        Aryanhwy asked:
                        > Do you know of examples of bynames like <di Silvestri>?

                        Now would I make up an example with all the lovely real names in the
                        Medieval Names Archive?

                        "15th Century Italian Men's Names" <http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/
                        italian15m.html> mentions one Boetio di Silvestri who was a doctor or
                        scholar lecturing at the university of Ferrara in 1473 and/or 1474.

                        Coblaith Muimnech
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                        <http://coblaith.net>
                      • Sara L Uckelman
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 8, 2009
                          Quoth Coblaith Muimnech:
                          > I wrote:
                          > > "di Silvestri" means "of Silvestro"
                          >
                          > Aryanhwy asked:
                          > > Do you know of examples of bynames like <di Silvestri>?
                          >
                          > "15th Century Italian Men's Names" <http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/
                          > italian15m.html> mentions one Boetio di Silvestri who was a doctor or
                          > scholar lecturing at the university of Ferrara in 1473 and/or 1474.

                          Thanks for the citation. As the discussion notes, the usage of
                          the prepositions in this set of names is abberent:

                          "It's noticeable that da is the normal locative pronoun, but see also
                          the names Ruberto di Girardin da Lendenara and Nicol�� de Girardin de
                          Lendenara: here we see normal Italian usage in the first name and
                          substitution of de for *both* prepositions in the second. In de
                          Bertolin, de Vi(n)cenzi, de Gilino, and de Marcho Galeotto the
                          preposition is probably patronymic, but de Piamonti is probably a
                          locative 'of Piemonte'. If the final a can be trusted, de Argentina is
                          probably metronymic. The name di Paxiti is clearly patronymic; the
                          source is a diminutive of the name Pace, from Latin pax 'peace'. The
                          name di Zirondi is more difficult to interpret. In this dialect Zirondi
                          should be from Gironde, the name of a French province. It appears that
                          either di is being used here with locative sense, or this is a
                          patronymic based on a byname."

                          So I would not take this data as typical or base any generalizations
                          on it.

                          -Aryanhwy

                          --
                          vita sine literis mors est
                          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                            Cities, by the way are feminine, and fathers are not.....

                            Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                            > They are different versions of "of". The short guide is:
                            >
                            > <da> is the "of" that is used with place names, e.g., <da Palermo>
                            > is "of Palermo".
                            > <di> is the "of" that is used with personal names to create a
                            > patronymic byname (i.e., one that says who your father was), e.g.,
                            > <di Giovanni> is "[child] of Giovanni".
                            >
                            > <de> is not Italian; it's the Latin preposition for "of", and
                            > when an Italian name is rendered in Latin, then it is used for
                            > both <da> and <di>.
                            >
                            > In general men and women used the same types of bynames in Italian --
                            > locative bynames (formed by <da> + <city name>), patronymic bynames
                            > (formed by <di> + <father's name), and family names (a catch all
                            > category for everything else). Locative and patronymic bynames
                            > do not have different forms for men and women. Some family names
                            > do, but most do not, so it's a case-by-case basis thing for them.
                            >
                            > -Aryanhwy
                            >

                            > --
                            > vita sine literis mors est
                            > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                          • Sara L Uckelman
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                              Quoth "Labhaoise O'Beachain":
                              > Cities, by the way are feminine, and fathers are not.....

                              The preposition <di> is also used in matronymic bynames (i.e.,
                              ones indicating the bearer's mother's given name).

                              -Aryanhwy

                              --
                              vita sine literis mors est
                              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                                I didn't document the da versus di.  I tried to register Maria di Modena at one point and they told me that I had to use da because it was a woman's name.  I was actually VERY confused about that at the time, because I had found women's names with di and couldn't figure out why they said that, but I also figured they knew more than me so I just took their word for that.  And I'm in Ansteorra so you'd have to ask the heralds who sent the name back after my local herald sent it in.  This happened way back in 1998 so I don't even know who they were.

                                As far as dei is concerned, when they print Lorenzo de' Medici the ' takes the place if the i for some strange reason.  I can't figure out why.  But I've read the Medici names both ways - with dei and with de'.  I don't know the reasons, but since I have researched the Medici family VERY thouroughly (and have the name on my personal family tree) I happen to know that I'm right about the dei/de' thing.

                                If I'm wrong, I'm glad you pointed it out.  I was just passing on the information that I got way back when.
                                Maria

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                                  Ok.  So that's the reason it was Maria da Modena.  Now it makes sense.

                                  Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                                  > They are different versions of "of". The short guide is:

                                  > <da> is the "of" that is used with place names, e.g., <da Palermo>

                                  > is "of Palermo".

                                  > <di> is the "of" that is used with personal names to create a

                                  > patronymic byname (i.e., one that says who your father was), e.g.,

                                  > <di Giovanni> is "[child] of Giovanni".

                                  > <de> is not Italian; it's the Latin preposition for "of", and

                                  > when an Italian name is rendered in Latin, then it is used for

                                  > both <da> and <di>.

                                  > In general men and women used the same types of bynames in Italian --

                                  > locative bynames (formed by <da> + <city name>), patronymic bynames

                                  > (formed by <di> + <father's name), and family names (a catch all

                                  > category for everything else). Locative and patronymic bynames

                                  > do not have different forms for men and women. Some family names

                                  > do, but most do not, so it's a case-by-case basis thing for them.

                                  > -Aryanhwy

                                  > --

                                  > vita sine literis mors est

                                  > http://www.ellipsis .cx/~liana/

                                • Sara L Uckelman
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                    Quoth Maria Buchanan:
                                    > I didn't document the da versus di.=A0 I tried to register Maria di Modena =
                                    > at one point and they told me that I had to use da because it was a woman's=
                                    > name.=

                                    If this is what you were told, then you were misinformed.
                                    Unfortunately, the Ansteorran heraldic records online don't
                                    your submission when it was considered in kingdom; it had
                                    already been changed to <da Modena> when it was sent to
                                    external commentary, since that's the spelling that was
                                    considered on the August 1999 LoAR
                                    (http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1999/08/lar.html).

                                    > As far as dei is concerned, when they print Lorenzo de' Medici the ' takes =
                                    > the place if the i for some strange reason.=A0 I can't figure out why.=A0 B=

                                    The apostrophe represents an omitted letter (much like the apostrophe
                                    in "don't" represents an omitted <o>). This practice of abbreviating
                                    words by omitting specific letters was a way for scribes to save space
                                    when copying manuscripts. In <de'>, the apostrophe is just an
                                    indication that the <i> has been removed.

                                    -Aryanhwy

                                    --
                                    vita sine literis mors est
                                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                      Aryanhwy,
                                      I saw your later post and figured that I probably misunderstood what they said.  You said that cities are considered female, so Maria di Modena becomes Maria da Modena because Modena is a city in northern Italy.  I understand now why they changed it.  At the time I thought it was silly, because I didn't understand.  They just said it's a female name so it has to be da.  I thought they meant that the persona is female.  Apparently they meant that cities are famale so it needed to be changed.
                                      Thank you for explaining it to me though.  I don't know much about heraldry and only gave the information I thought I had.
                                      The dei thing.  I understood the whole concept of using the de' (with apostrophy to show the missing i) but didn't really understand why the i was replaced with the apostrophy since (at least in french which I took in High School a VERY long time ago) they wouldn't use it unless they had a vowel as the first letter in the next word.  (like le ecole becomes l'ecole).
                                      It didn't make sense WHY it was done in de' Medici rather than that it was done at all.
                                      Thanks for explaining it all.  I'm just glad I understand all of it now.
                                      Maria

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                        Quoth Maria Buchanan:
                                        > You said that cities are considered female, so Maria di Modena beco=

                                        Actually, that wasn't me who said that (I'm not sure who it was).
                                        This is not something I'm familiar with (cities having gender),
                                        and I do not know if it is something which is the case in Modern
                                        Italian only, or if is also found in medieval Italian.

                                        -Aryanhwy

                                        --
                                        vita sine literis mors est
                                        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                          Maybe it was Coblaith.  But someone said it.  You saw it.
                                          Now I'm getting crazy.  I was really tired last night when I was answering emails, so I don't remember too much.
                                          VERY long weekend.  But REALLY good.
                                          Maria

                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 14, 2009
                                            In most langauges, english being an exception, EVERYTHING has a gender. In some langauge, the concept IT is an alien one....
                                            Labhaoise

                                            Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

                                            > Quoth Maria Buchanan:
                                            > > You said that cities are considered female, so Maria di Modena beco=
                                            >
                                            > Actually, that wasn't me who said that (I'm not sure who it was).
                                            > This is not something I'm familiar with (cities having gender),
                                            > and I do not know if it is something which is the case in Modern
                                            > Italian only, or if is also found in medieval Italian.
                                            >
                                            > -Aryanhwy
                                            >

                                            > --
                                            > vita sine literis mors est
                                            > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                                          • Sara L Uckelman
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 14, 2009
                                              Quoth "Labhaoise O'Beachain":
                                              > In most langauges, english being an exception, EVERYTHING has a gender. In so

                                              Note that there is a difference between the grammatical gender
                                              of a word in a language which inflects nouns and adjectives
                                              based on their gender, and the more general concept of
                                              anthropomorphic "gender" (such as the tendency to call ships
                                              "she"). Quite often, the grammatical gender does not agree
                                              with the expected anthropomorphic or sexual gender; for example,
                                              there are languages where the grammatical gender of animal
                                              names for both sexes are the same (usually both masculine).
                                              Thus, even if cities are anthropomorphized as being feminine,
                                              this does not entail that the grammatical gender of city names
                                              in inflected languages is always feminine. (For example, in
                                              Latin, you'll find city names which are masculine, feminine, and
                                              neuter in gender).

                                              -Aryanhwy

                                              --
                                              vita sine literis mors est