Youth Rapier

  • edmundhalliday
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10, 2009
      Greetings to the list;

      I know this forum covers the knowne world yet I hope its the most likely source for the information I seek.

      I am a new member within the Kingdom of An Tir and recently authorized with Rapier. My local branch has a budding youth combat group but nothing in regards to rapier fighters under 14. While I have nothing against heavy fighting, I'd prefer to share my interests with my children.

      My question is this. Does anyone know of Youth Rapier combat rules for An Tir? I've found other kingdoms various programs of this sort but nothing for An Tir. If there is nothing at this time, is there anyone experimenting with such?

      Thank you all for making me a part of the dream;

      Edmund Halliday
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10, 2009
        Edmund Halliday wrote:
        > Does anyone know of Youth Rapier combat rules for An Tir?

        I bet the members of the An Tir Rapier Yahoo! Group do
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/antir-rapier>. There might even already
        be a recent discussion on the topic in the group message archives.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • edmundhalliday
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 11, 2009
          Thank you for the suggestion, I impatiently await welcome into that group.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@...> wrote:
          ...An Tir Rapier Yahoo! Group ...
        • Jessica
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2009
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "edmundhalliday" <danel56@...> wrote:

            > Greetings to the list;
            >
            > I know this forum covers the knowne world yet I hope its the most likely source for the information I seek.
            >
            > I am a new member within the Kingdom of An Tir and recently authorized with Rapier. My local branch has a budding youth combat group but nothing in regards to rapier fighters under 14. While I have nothing against heavy fighting, I'd prefer to share my interests with my children.
            >
            > My question is this. Does anyone know of Youth Rapier combat rules for An Tir? I've found other kingdoms various programs of this sort but nothing for An Tir. If there is nothing at this time, is there anyone experimenting with such?
            >
            > Thank you all for making me a part of the dream;
            >
            > Edmund Halliday

            My younger kids were also interested in doing Rapier fighting. This is a great question and I am glad you asked!
          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 12, 2009
              Greetings Edmund,

              In trying to answer your question more directly, I found the An Tir website:
              http://antir.sca.org/

              And the An Tir combat weblink:
              http://antir.sca.org/Pubs/index.php#combat.shelf

              There is no youth rapier book, and when I tried to look at the adult rapier
              book, the program generated a problem, and shut down.

              However, here is the Society rapier marshal's handbook, with the basic rules
              for rapier combat within the SCA:
              http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/rapier/rapier_handbook.pdf
              I found this document in the Society Library of SCA Documents, under Earl
              Marshal; Rapier Marshal's Handbook:
              http://www.sca.org/docs/library.html#officers

              Under the section Marshalling Concerns In Rapier Combat, #7, Society rules
              say:
              "7. MINORS: The minimum age for training and authorization in rapier combat
              is 14. When
              fighters under the age of 18 undertake training and authorization, the
              Kingdom Rapier
              Marshal (or his designated representatives) shall ensure that the minor's
              parent or legal
              guardian has observed rapier combat, is aware of the risk of injury inherent
              in this martial art,
              and has signed a statement explicitly acknowledging the above.
              A. A youth rapier fighter may participate in melees with other rapier
              fighters (youth and/or
              adult) subject to whatever age requirements and other qualifications that
              are mandated by
              their kingdom rules."

              For good measure, here is the Society website, where I found the links to
              this document:
              http://www.sca.org/
              There's lots of information about what to do for youth in the SCA - look in
              Advice To Newcomers on the right hand side.

              I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, and leads you to what
              you need to answer the rest.

              Have fun,
              Tabitha Pennywarden, soon to start her rapier marshal-in-training paperwork.
              Ravenslake, Thief of Hearts,
              Midlands, Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2009
                Kyla;

                Thank you, these are all excellent resources and unfortunatey, they previously led me to the same conclusion. They guided me to this forum. Its a shame that An Tir does not appear to have Rapier at the same ranges as Youth Combat. I now await a response for my application for membership to the an-tir rapier yahoo group.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
                  While I consider to pursue this topic I've decided to expand beyond An Tir.

                  Does anyone know of ANY kingdom with rules specifically for youth under 14 rapier combat?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
                    In a message dated 4/14/2009 7:32:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    danel56@... writes:

                    <<While I consider to pursue this topic I've decided to expand beyond An
                    Tir.

                    Does anyone know of ANY kingdom with rules specifically for youth under 14
                    rapier combat?>>

                    I just checked the East's webpage and found a note about getting permission
                    to start an experimental youth rapier program for 14-18 year olds. So it
                    may be a Society-wide policy of fencing 18 and up only, and experimentation
                    with allowing those 14-18 is just beginning.

                    Lancaster, PA
                    **************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
                    Steps!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221421325x1201417411/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26h
                    mpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilAvgfooterNO62)

                  • Kyla
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
                      Yes.
                      I have already answered this question.
                      Society rules say no fencing under 14 years old.
                      Period.

                      Your option is to change the Society ruling, or play boffer.

                      Here is the relevent section of the SOCIETY marshal's handbook, which I
                      copied from my previous email:

                      Under the section Marshalling Concerns In Rapier Combat, #7, Society rules
                      say:
                      "7. MINORS: The minimum age for training and authorization in rapier combat
                      is 14. When
                      fighters under the age of 18 undertake training and authorization, the
                      Kingdom Rapier
                      Marshal (or his designated representatives) shall ensure that the minor's
                      parent or legal
                      guardian has observed rapier combat, is aware of the risk of injury inherent
                      in this martial art,
                      and has signed a statement explicitly acknowledging the above.
                      A. A youth rapier fighter may participate in melees with other rapier
                      fighters (youth and/or
                      adult) subject to whatever age requirements and other qualifications that
                      are mandated by
                      their kingdom rules."

                      Good luck,

                      Tabitha Pennywarden
                      Ravenslake, Midlands
                      Middle Kingdom

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 14, 2009
                        edmundhalliday wrote:
                        > Does anyone know of ANY kingdom with rules specifically for youth
                        > under 14 rapier combat?

                        Ansteorra has an experimental program using plastic foils (specifically
                        the non-electronic versioin of the Nasycon "Aramis") for kids aged 6 to
                        13. You can download details from
                        <http://youth-rapier.ansteorra.org/>.

                        It looks like Northshield
                        <http://web.northshield.org/officers/marshal/experiments/
                        plasticfoil.pdf> and Gleann Abhann
                        <http://gleannabhannrapier.org/RulesForms/
                        Gleann%20Abhann%20Youth%20Rapier%20Rules%202008.pdf> have similar
                        projects underway.

                        Coblaith Muimnech
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                      • edmundhalliday
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 15, 2009
                          Well that is complete clarification; thank you. So short of participating in one of the youth rapier experiments, my kids are now aiming at boffer.

                          I appreciate the input from all sources in this quest.

                          Yours;

                          Edmund