RE: [SCA Newcomers] Contact question

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
      I am in trimaris. I also agree with their complaints about garb the world but I also remember what it's like to just be starting out in the sca and trying to get garb together. Now once out on the field and going I expect folks to get a bit more historically accurate in their garb as im sure (knowing our laurels of garb and that how they love to share their knowledge to make us all better) would have learned after a short period of time what is historically more accurate. I only support them to the point of a new person getting in the door after that they need to get it together.

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
      I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
      And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.....

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: lavaquod@...
      Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:54:56 -0700
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Contact question

      Unto Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov,
      Where are you located? It seems from the way you've been handling the 'Garb the World' discussion that I would enjoy 'playing' with you at an event some day.

      Aelfwyn

    • Lava Quod est Sordidium
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
        > I am in trimaris. I also agree with their complaints about
        > garb the world but I also remember what it's like to
        > just be starting out in the sca and trying to get garb
        > together. Now once out on the field and going I expect folks
        > to get a bit more historically accurate in their garb as im
        > sure (knowing our laurels of garb and that how they love to
        > share their knowledge to make us all better) would have
        > learned after a short period of time what is historically
        > more accurate. I only support them to the point of a new
        > person getting in the door after that they need to get it
        > together.

        I certainly didn't mean to imply that you did not have high standards for your SCA play. As a former professional perfectly period historic reinactor I appreciate holding ones self to a high standard. I also appreciate those of the Society who remember that what the SCA has always been trying to recreate is the Victorian ideal of the middle ages which included politeness and courtesy.

        Thank you for your example,
        Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
          In a message dated 4/4/2009 11:47:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lanneth@... writes:

          <<Whether this is helpful or not, I've been meaning to look "laena" up in
          my Latin dictionary. A laena is a cloak. There you go.>>

          Interesting. So the seller is using the word the Romans would have used for
          a cloak to describe a garment which is not only not Roman, but isn't a cloak
          either.

          Lancaster, PA
          steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572833x1201387477/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID