Re: [SCA Newcomers] the laena

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
      In a message dated 4/4/2009 11:04:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      ckchastain@... writes:

      <<Garb the world was setup to get new people into garb, they dont do
      historical accuracy just get folks on the field.>>

      I understand that we need merchants to fill that particular demand.

      However, I think that if they are not doing historically accurate clothing,
      then they should not be dividing the clothing into historically-based
      categories and thereby implying that those clothes are correct for that time period.
      Hence the original poster's question of "When and where is this garment from
      and is it accurate?". Or, they should put a statement somewhere very obvious
      that says "Our costumes are inspired by clothes of the time period mentioned,
      but are not intended to be historically accurate in detail" or something similar.

      Lancaster, PA
      **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
      with TaxACT.
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220239440x1201335902/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
        I agree with you on that but to be fair should you trust everything you see or read on the internet? Send them a suggestion, Ive bought some stuff from them for my oldest son. They are pretty reasonable people.

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
        I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
        And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.....

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
          Whether this is helpful or not, I've been meaning to look "laena" up in
          my Latin dictionary. A laena is a cloak. There you go.

          Rosamund (The Not-So-Helpful)
        • Labhaoise O'Beachain
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
            Hmmm, I'd rather they sold, I bit closer to the "real thing", what they end up doing is reinforcing(they are the experts, after all) all the worst stereotypes....

            AND they get reccommended way to often, 'cause they sell "everything" and it's all really nothing!
            Labhaoise

            Wuld I fault you for wearing it? Nope

            Wouldn't even give you direction for improvements unless you asked!

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2009
              Don't you love it, got to historical and they have columns for "Elves and fairies"; "pirates" (holywood); and "wizards and monks".....

              Maybe they have a different history than I
              Labhaoise

              bronwynmgn@... wrote:
              > I understand that we need merchants to fill that particular demand.
              >
              > However, I think that if they are not doing historically accurate clothing,
              > then they should not be dividing the clothing into historically-based
              > categories and thereby implying that those clothes are correct for that time period.
              > Hence the original poster's question of "When and where is this garment from
              > and is it accurate?". Or, they should put a statement somewhere very obvious
              > that says "Our costumes are inspired by clothes of the time period mentioned,
              > but are not intended to be historically accurate in detail" or something similar.
            • Lava Quod est Sordidium
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
                Unto Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov,
                Where are you located? It seems from the way you've been handling the 'Garb the World' discussion that I would enjoy 'playing' with you at an event some day.

                Aelfwyn
              • christopher chastain

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
                    > I am in trimaris. I also agree with their complaints about
                    > garb the world but I also remember what it's like to
                    > just be starting out in the sca and trying to get garb
                    > together. Now once out on the field and going I expect folks
                    > to get a bit more historically accurate in their garb as im
                    > sure (knowing our laurels of garb and that how they love to
                    > share their knowledge to make us all better) would have
                    > learned after a short period of time what is historically
                    > more accurate. I only support them to the point of a new
                    > person getting in the door after that they need to get it
                    > together.

                    I certainly didn't mean to imply that you did not have high standards for your SCA play. As a former professional perfectly period historic reinactor I appreciate holding ones self to a high standard. I also appreciate those of the Society who remember that what the SCA has always been trying to recreate is the Victorian ideal of the middle ages which included politeness and courtesy.

                    Thank you for your example,
                    Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2009
                      In a message dated 4/4/2009 11:47:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      lanneth@... writes:

                      <<Whether this is helpful or not, I've been meaning to look "laena" up in
                      my Latin dictionary. A laena is a cloak. There you go.>>

                      Interesting. So the seller is using the word the Romans would have used for
                      a cloak to describe a garment which is not only not Roman, but isn't a cloak
                      either.

                      Lancaster, PA
                      steps!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572833x1201387477/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID