Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Soap

  • Lava Quod est Sordidium
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1 1:52 PM
      > I have a few questions:
      >
      > How does it smell when you’re finished?

      Homemade lye soap has a very subtle scent all it's own depending on the initial recipe.

      > Can you add a scent?

      You can add amazing numbers of things to effect your finished product depending on the effect you're looking for.

      > When you use this soap; does it dry your skin out?

      Not if you've made the recipe to be well balanced (not lye heavy).
      Contrary to popular belief (and certain popular movies), glycerin is NOT a 'byproduct' of handmade lye soap. It's actually an integral part of soap that takes a separate chemical process to divide it from the final product. Leaving it in means that lye soap is actually more conditioning for your skin than the bar detergent that is sold as over the counter 'soap'.

      > Does it leave a residue?

      I have never had a problem with residue and none of my customers have ever complained about it. It does depend on the soap recipe, however, and whether or not it was designed to leave anything behind with the intent to be extra conditioning, formulated for oily skin, designed to relieve eczema, etc.

      A~
    • jon.horde
      Message 2 of 18 , May 25, 2009
        Ld. Aengus mac Farlane,
        Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I think your recipe is modern.
        If I make homemade lye from rainwater and hard wood ash, I get lye water of some strength. If the recipe calls for 2.15 oz of lye, they are referring to lye crystals which would be store bought. Homemade lye is Potassium Hydroxide, lye crystals are Sodium Hydroxide. Without the Sodium you get liquid mush soap, not a hard bar. I believe they overcame this by adding salt, but don't know how much. Do you think you could ask your Lady?
        Thank you.
        Jon