the laena

  • Tealah
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 11:17 AM
      What is it exactly, and where would it have been found? Is it period?

      I came across it in casual browsing of the Garb the World site as being Roman-Briton, but I can find very little mention of it elsewhere. I'm not sure how accurate Garb the World is exactly so I thought I'd ask. :) It sure does look like a convenient thing to wear.
    • Jeff Johnston
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1 11:35 AM
        I could be way off base on this, but I believe the Laena was a Roman
        cloak. This is just based on memory with nothing to back that up with.

        Jeff Johnston AKA C├║ Allaidh
        Publisher
        Lilley Press
        publisher@...
        www.lilleypress.com

        On 1-Apr-09, at 2:17 PM, Tealah wrote:

        > What is it exactly, and where would it have been found? Is it period?
        >
        > I came across it in casual browsing of the Garb the World site as
        > being Roman-Briton, but I can find very little mention of it
        > elsewhere. I'm not sure how accurate Garb the World is exactly so I
        > thought I'd ask. :) It sure does look like a convenient thing to wear.

      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1 11:48 AM
          Tealah wrote (with "the laena" in the subject line of her post):
          > What is it exactly, and where would it have been found? Is it period?
          >

          > I came across it in casual browsing of the Garb the World site. . .

          I'm not familiar with the term, but the picture on the Garb the World
          site <http://www.garbtheworld.com/items/g0061.shtml> is virtually
          identical to the images of arisaids (late-period Scottish Gaelic
          women's outer garments) on the Reconstructing History site
          <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/scottish.php?
          s=&c=8&d=117&e=&f=&g=&a=131&w=2>, which is well-researched and
          respected. Arisaids, in turn, developed from brats, the cloaks worn by
          Gaelic men and women in both Ireland and Scotland earlier in period.
          You can learn about those in Finnacan Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress: An
          Introduction" <http://coblaith.net/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html>.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4 7:45 AM
            In a message dated 4/1/2009 2:18:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            tealah06@... writes:

            <<What is it exactly, and where would it have been found? Is it period?>>

            I'd never heard that term, so I went to the site and looked for it.
            Interestingly enough, when I first joined the SCA, I was taught that that garment was
            Scottish, the female equivalent of the great kilt for men, under a completely
            different name that I can't remember right now. I've since learned that it's
            either very late period or possibly a completely invented garment, not really
            a historical one at all.

            <<I came across it in casual browsing of the Garb the World site as being
            Roman-Briton, but I can find very little mention of it elsewhere. I'm not sure
            how accurate Garb the World is exactly so I thought I'd ask. :) It sure does
            look like a convenient thing to wear.>>

            The site over all is astonishingly bad for historical accuracy. They have
            the exact same garments listed as Roman, 10,000 BC Briton, and Medieval, they
            sell nothing but ring belts (the same ones for every time period I looked at)
            when the archaeological record is brimming with proper belt buckles of a huge
            variety of forms depending on the era and culture, and their materials used are
            all polyester blends except for 100% cotton; they also use stretch velvet, a
            completely modern material.
            Does their stuff pass the SCA's "Attempt at clothing from before 1600" rule?
            Yes, it does. You could certainly wear this to SCA events. Is it historical
            accurate clothing? No, absolutely not.

            Are they convenient to wear? Yes, I had one in my early years in the SCA and
            wore it a lot. Bit of a pain to get arranged, but once it was on, it was
            comfortable. Oddly enough, however, I'd be skeptical of the ability of the ring
            belts they sell to hold tightly enough to keep it in place if you were moving
            around a lot, as ring belts, especially new stiff ones, have a tendency to
            slip.

            Lancaster, PA
            **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
            with TaxACT.
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220239440x1201335902/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

          • christopher chastain
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4 8:03 AM
              Garb the world was setup to get new people into garb, they dont do historical accuracy just get folks on the field.

              Yours in Humble Service,
              Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
              I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
              And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.....

              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4 8:28 AM
                In a message dated 4/4/2009 11:04:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                ckchastain@... writes:

                <<Garb the world was setup to get new people into garb, they dont do
                historical accuracy just get folks on the field.>>

                I understand that we need merchants to fill that particular demand.

                However, I think that if they are not doing historically accurate clothing,
                then they should not be dividing the clothing into historically-based
                categories and thereby implying that those clothes are correct for that time period.
                Hence the original poster's question of "When and where is this garment from
                and is it accurate?". Or, they should put a statement somewhere very obvious
                that says "Our costumes are inspired by clothes of the time period mentioned,
                but are not intended to be historically accurate in detail" or something similar.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4 8:44 AM
                    Whether this is helpful or not, I've been meaning to look "laena" up in
                    my Latin dictionary. A laena is a cloak. There you go.

                    Rosamund (The Not-So-Helpful)
                  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4 2:04 PM
                      Hmmm, I'd rather they sold, I bit closer to the "real thing", what they end up doing is reinforcing(they are the experts, after all) all the worst stereotypes....

                      AND they get reccommended way to often, 'cause they sell "everything" and it's all really nothing!
                      Labhaoise

                      Wuld I fault you for wearing it? Nope

                      Wouldn't even give you direction for improvements unless you asked!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4 2:06 PM
                        Don't you love it, got to historical and they have columns for "Elves and fairies"; "pirates" (holywood); and "wizards and monks".....

                        Maybe they have a different history than I
                        Labhaoise

                        bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                        > I understand that we need merchants to fill that particular demand.
                        >
                        > However, I think that if they are not doing historically accurate clothing,
                        > then they should not be dividing the clothing into historically-based
                        > categories and thereby implying that those clothes are correct for that time period.
                        > Hence the original poster's question of "When and where is this garment from
                        > and is it accurate?". Or, they should put a statement somewhere very obvious
                        > that says "Our costumes are inspired by clothes of the time period mentioned,
                        > but are not intended to be historically accurate in detail" or something similar.
                      • Lava Quod est Sordidium
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5 7:54 AM
                          Unto Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov,
                          Where are you located? It seems from the way you've been handling the 'Garb the World' discussion that I would enjoy 'playing' with you at an event some day.

                          Aelfwyn
                        • christopher chastain

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 5 12:37 PM
                              > I am in trimaris. I also agree with their complaints about
                              > garb the world but I also remember what it's like to
                              > just be starting out in the sca and trying to get garb
                              > together. Now once out on the field and going I expect folks
                              > to get a bit more historically accurate in their garb as im
                              > sure (knowing our laurels of garb and that how they love to
                              > share their knowledge to make us all better) would have
                              > learned after a short period of time what is historically
                              > more accurate. I only support them to the point of a new
                              > person getting in the door after that they need to get it
                              > together.

                              I certainly didn't mean to imply that you did not have high standards for your SCA play. As a former professional perfectly period historic reinactor I appreciate holding ones self to a high standard. I also appreciate those of the Society who remember that what the SCA has always been trying to recreate is the Victorian ideal of the middle ages which included politeness and courtesy.

                              Thank you for your example,
                              Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 5 1:44 PM
                                In a message dated 4/4/2009 11:47:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                lanneth@... writes:

                                <<Whether this is helpful or not, I've been meaning to look "laena" up in
                                my Latin dictionary. A laena is a cloak. There you go.>>

                                Interesting. So the seller is using the word the Romans would have used for
                                a cloak to describe a garment which is not only not Roman, but isn't a cloak
                                either.

                                Lancaster, PA
                                steps!
                                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572833x1201387477/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID