Re: [SCA Newcomers] New to the SCA? Great! Some general advice - specifics of course may vary.

  • svanarose
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
      I am in my second year of SCA membership. My interest towards this has been about 4 yrs. When i began, i was pressured, pushed and told..."you have to". I was ready to give it all up because this was supposed to be a new activity, hobby, pasttime and mini-vacations. Then i had the opportunity to speak to even more people, enjoy a few more things and asked questions. I learned quick that the stress and pressure is not part of all this.

      I began to take steps as i felt ready and comfortable which inturn brought enjoyment and fun to me. That created the want of more and me reaching out to do more. If you are in a pressured and stressed situation, then you need a new posse.

      My advice to newcomers, as a newcomer myself....if your feeling pushed, ordered, held back, pressured and stressed, seek other sources of information and people.

      I dont have a great knowledge of the fundementals and details of the SCA or a lot of historical background, but i have a small bit of experience. Good and bad. I was able to turn the bad around and find good. Im not giving up anything now.