Need help with toddler garb!!!!

  • femccarty2007
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2009
      I am new to making my own garb and am wanting to make my first project garb for my daughter (18 months old but 3T dress size), but I am having a hard time finding out what kind of garb she would need from our time period (15th century south france) since I don't want to do anythng too elaborate since it's bound to get messed up and out grown quickly.

      My dad can easily help me make it I just need to find some pictures or get some ideas to see what kind of clothes would be appropriate for that period. I hope someone can help me. I have til May to make her outfit so I will be making it a bit bigger then she needs now so it will fit longer!
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2009
        In a message dated 3/26/2009 10:17:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        femccarty2007@... writes:

        <<I am new to making my own garb and am wanting to make my first project garb
        for my daughter (18 months old but 3T dress size), but I am having a hard
        time finding out what kind of garb she would need from our time period (15th
        century south france) since I don't want to do anythng too elaborate since it's
        bound to get messed up and out grown quickly.

        My dad can easily help me make it I just need to find some pictures or get
        some ideas to see what kind of clothes would be appropriate for that period. I ho
        pe someone can help me. I have til May to make her outfit so I will be making
        it a bit bigger then she needs now so it will fit longer!>>

        In general, children in the Middle Ages, once they were potty trained, were
        dressed in miniature versions of what the adults wore. There weren't special
        fashions for children like there are now. Un-potty trained children were all,
        regardless of sex, put into long dresses or tunics. My best suggestion would
        be to find pictures of peasant clothing from 15th century France and use the
        women's clothing as your base. You may, if you can find pictures from medieval
        calendars or books of hours, find pictures of peasant children as well. I
        have a book called "The Medieval Calendar Year" that has a number of
        reproductions of pictures including children in it, although they are from lots of
        different times and places.

        I have a 4-year-old son who has been coming to events with us since he was a
        few weeks old. What I've found for him to allow growth is not only to make
        the skirts and sleeves longer and put big hems in them, but also to make the
        shoulders wider than they should be and put small pleats in. That way, when it
        starts to get difficult to get his arms in, I let out a pleat or two and it
        fits again - it also keeps the shoulder seams from falling halfway down his upper
        arms when they are new, and effectively lengthens the sleeves when I let the
        pleats out.

        Lancaster, PA
        **************Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219799606x1201361003/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doub
        leclick.net%2Fclk%3B213153745%3B34689725%3Bo)

      • PATRICIA BENTLEY
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
          easiest pattern is basic t-tunic at the SCA websiteas she will grow quickly. you can start it out as a dress (if you make it long enough) then as she gets older it could become a shirt with a pair of baggy pants. Keep little ones clothing simple as they grow fast.

          I have found that if you get to elaborate they have grown before you can finishe the dress. Also you can google T-tunic and get some really good pattern Ideas that all you have to sew is 2 may 3 seams and then add embelisment as needed or not.

          Gisele

          Barony smoking rocks

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: femccarty2007@...
          Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:22:34 +0000
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Need help with toddler garb!!!!

          I am new to making my own garb and am wanting to make my first project garb for my daughter (18 months old but 3T dress size), but I am having a hard time finding out what kind of garb she would need from our time period (15th century south france) since I don't want to do anythng too elaborate since it's bound to get messed up and out grown quickly.

          My dad can easily help me make it I just need to find some pictures or get some ideas to see what kind of clothes would be appropriate for that period. I hope someone can help me. I have til May to make her outfit so I will be making it a bit bigger then she needs now so it will fit longer!

        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2009
            I've also seen children's greek or Roman garb, very easy to make, oh my god comfy! Shoulders are sewn at one point on each side to keep it on the shoulders, no sleeves or split sleeves, sewn down the sides add trim or decorative buttons on shoulders were its sewn, done! Also if they still in diapers extremely diaper friendly garb as well. I might not have explained how to make it as well as I should have but you get the idea.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
            And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.....