Re: [SCA Newcomers] 12-16th century Irish clothing

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      lil420pixie wrote:
      > can anyone tell me where I can find patterns or instructions to make
      > Irish garb in the 12-16 centuries?

      I'm aware of only one company that prints well-researched patterns for
      Irish clothing--Reconstructing History
      <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=22&d=35&w=24&r=Y>--
      and they don't yet offer anything earlier than the 16th century.

      There are two good printed sources on the history of Irish clothing:

      _Dress in Ireland: A History_, by Mairead Dunlevy, is widely available.
      You should be able to find it through Inter-Library Loan (in the
      States, at least) as well as through any number of on- and off-line
      vendors. The author has webbed a brief article on the history of
      clothing in county Clare
      <http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/costume.htm> that you
      might find somewhat useful.

      _Old Irish and Highland Dress, with Notes on That of the Isle of Man_,
      by H.F. McClintock, is an older book, long out of print, which is
      difficult to find in hard copy anywhere. It is available in a PDF
      facsimile edition from Unicorn Limited
      <http://scotpress.com/catalog/books-about-scotland-tartan-textiles-
      clothing-c-25_34/old-irish-and-highland-dress-p-93>.

      The Moy gown is generally considered to be from the 14th or 15th
      century <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/moy3.html>
      <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=200&w=2>
      <http://matildalazouche.livejournal.com/3658.html>.

      For the 16th century, most people turn to Lucas de Heere's sketches for
      information. The article by Dunlevy that I mentioned above includes one
      of these. It also appears, along with another and some discussion of
      how one might make the represented clothes, in Reconstructing History's
      "What the Irish Wore: What We Wear at Reenactments"
      <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=192&w=2>.
      A few other articles that you might find useful are offered on the
      Reconstructing History site; just click "Irish" at the top of the page
      to view a list.

      The Shinrone gown
      <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=191&w=2>
      may date to the late 16th century, and does resemble one of the dresses
      de Heere drew.

      That's about all I can point you to, for the four centuries that
      interest you. There's not a lot out there on Irish clothing from any
      period.

      Of course, not everybody in Ireland wore distinctively Irish clothing.
      There were areas and classes in which English clothing was typical,
      late in period. If you're interested in playing an Anglicized Irish
      persona, you might consider a pattern from Margo Anderson's Historic
      Costume Patterns <http://www.margospatterns.com/> or _The Tudor Tailor_
      <http://www.tudortailor.com/>. For more information, generally, visit
      the Elizabethan Costume Page <http://elizabethancostume.net>, the
      Renaissance Tailor <http://www.renaissancetailor.com/>, and Extreme
      Costuming <http://www.extremecostuming.com/>.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
        This is a good place to start:

        https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/articles.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y

        I am starting you on her Irish Articles page, becuase they are valuable informaiton on what to look for, but she sells patterns.

        Also, Kass has a presense here on Yahoo, ReconstructingHistory....

        And nothing beats the Book of Kells for ilumniations of what it looked like then:

        http://www.bookofkells.com/

        Labhaoise