Re: [SCA Newcomers] 12-16th century Irish clothing

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      In a message dated 3/3/2009 2:01:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      lil420pixie@... writes:

      <<can anyone tell me where I can find patterns or instructions to make
      Irish garb in the 12-16 centuries? thanks>>

      The best source for Irish clothing is _http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/_
      (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/) . Kass has quite a few articles on
      Irish clothing; click on Articles on the menu across the top. For patterns,
      click on the green link Patterns on the top right, then Irish and Scottish in
      the grey bar underneath.
      I know most of what is here is 16th century, but that's because that's what
      Kass has been able to find solid evidence for. She's been to Ireland and
      actually handled some of the extant garments from the period. I think she has some
      conjectural stuff in the articles. I know Kass, and she's a stickler for
      getting it right.

      Lancaster, PA
      steps!
      %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

    • lil420pixie
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
        Thank you for responding to my question and for the links...now to go check them out...

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/3/2009 2:01:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > lil420pixie@... writes:
        >
        > <<can anyone tell me where I can find patterns or instructions to make
        > Irish garb in the 12-16 centuries? thanks>>
        >
        > The best source for Irish clothing is _http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/_
        > (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/) . Kass has quite a few articles on
        > Irish clothing; click on Articles on the menu across the top. For patterns,
        > click on the green link Patterns on the top right, then Irish and Scottish in
        > the grey bar underneath.
        > I know most of what is here is 16th century, but that's because that's what
        > Kass has been able to find solid evidence for. She's been to Ireland and
        > actually handled some of the extant garments from the period. I think she has some
        > conjectural stuff in the articles. I know Kass, and she's a stickler for
        > getting it right.
        >

        > Brangwayna Morgan
        > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
        > Lancaster, PA
        > steps!
        > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
        > %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
          lil420pixie wrote:
          > can anyone tell me where I can find patterns or instructions to make
          > Irish garb in the 12-16 centuries?

          I'm aware of only one company that prints well-researched patterns for
          Irish clothing--Reconstructing History
          <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=22&d=35&w=24&r=Y>--
          and they don't yet offer anything earlier than the 16th century.

          There are two good printed sources on the history of Irish clothing:

          _Dress in Ireland: A History_, by Mairead Dunlevy, is widely available.
          You should be able to find it through Inter-Library Loan (in the
          States, at least) as well as through any number of on- and off-line
          vendors. The author has webbed a brief article on the history of
          clothing in county Clare
          <http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/costume.htm> that you
          might find somewhat useful.

          _Old Irish and Highland Dress, with Notes on That of the Isle of Man_,
          by H.F. McClintock, is an older book, long out of print, which is
          difficult to find in hard copy anywhere. It is available in a PDF
          facsimile edition from Unicorn Limited
          <http://scotpress.com/catalog/books-about-scotland-tartan-textiles-
          clothing-c-25_34/old-irish-and-highland-dress-p-93>.

          The Moy gown is generally considered to be from the 14th or 15th
          century <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/moy3.html>
          <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=200&w=2>
          <http://matildalazouche.livejournal.com/3658.html>.

          For the 16th century, most people turn to Lucas de Heere's sketches for
          information. The article by Dunlevy that I mentioned above includes one
          of these. It also appears, along with another and some discussion of
          how one might make the represented clothes, in Reconstructing History's
          "What the Irish Wore: What We Wear at Reenactments"
          <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=192&w=2>.
          A few other articles that you might find useful are offered on the
          Reconstructing History site; just click "Irish" at the top of the page
          to view a list.

          The Shinrone gown
          <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&a=191&w=2>
          may date to the late 16th century, and does resemble one of the dresses
          de Heere drew.

          That's about all I can point you to, for the four centuries that
          interest you. There's not a lot out there on Irish clothing from any
          period.

          Of course, not everybody in Ireland wore distinctively Irish clothing.
          There were areas and classes in which English clothing was typical,
          late in period. If you're interested in playing an Anglicized Irish
          persona, you might consider a pattern from Margo Anderson's Historic
          Costume Patterns <http://www.margospatterns.com/> or _The Tudor Tailor_
          <http://www.tudortailor.com/>. For more information, generally, visit
          the Elizabethan Costume Page <http://elizabethancostume.net>, the
          Renaissance Tailor <http://www.renaissancetailor.com/>, and Extreme
          Costuming <http://www.extremecostuming.com/>.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Labhaoise O'Beachain
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
            This is a good place to start:

            https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/articles.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y

            I am starting you on her Irish Articles page, becuase they are valuable informaiton on what to look for, but she sells patterns.

            Also, Kass has a presense here on Yahoo, ReconstructingHistory....

            And nothing beats the Book of Kells for ilumniations of what it looked like then:

            http://www.bookofkells.com/

            Labhaoise