Looking for Schedule of Events in Austin Texas

  • williehowie2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 8:01 PM
      A few years ago I was accosted by two warring factions of knights in
      outfitted in full battle regalia in a park in downtown Austin. I do not
      know if I am ready to suit up, but would like to audit a couple of
      events such as this. Is there any schedule published when
      confrontations of this occur?

      William
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 1:24 AM
        William wrote:
        > A few years ago I was accosted by two warring factions of knights in
        > outfitted in full battle regalia in a park in downtown Austin.. . .Is
        > there any schedule published when
        > confrontations of this occur?

        Austin makes up the bulk of the Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        <http://bryn-gwlad.ansteorra.org/>. We have Populace in the Park,
        which includes both armored and rapier combat, every Tuesday. That's
        probably the best place to come to get a feel for the group and start
        learning about S.C.A. fighting. There are various additional
        practices, both general and targeted for folks learning particular
        weapons, unit fighting tactics, advanced techniques, etc., held around
        town on a regular or irregular basis. If you can't make it to PiP, one
        of those might be convenient for you. The details are always posted to
        our baronial mailing list, and usually to the calendar on the website.

        If you want to see big battles, I think there may be some mêlées at the
        Lysts at Castleton, which is the next big event being held locally
        <http://lysts.swordworks.org/>. I'm not positive, though. . .the event
        has an equestrian focus, and the organizers are still hashing out the
        amount of foot combat to be included and of its types. You will need
        to dress in clothing appropriate to some period before 1600 to attend
        that, but our hospitaler (who is at the park most Tuesdays) maintains a
        collection of loaner gear for newcomers to borrow, so that shouldn't be
        a problem.

        Do come by to see us! We love introducing new people to what we do.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Callahan Patrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 6:34 PM

          A.) http://calendar.ansteorra.org/
          B.) http://www.ansteorra.org/groups/

          The Kingdom Event Calendar lists events using both regional "SCA" names and common names for places where events will happen. (The Austin area is in fact on of the common names I see listed) Usually you can click on an up coming event and link form the calendar to the event page when an event is on the horizon. If you can not find a link to a particular event almost all of the regional "SCA" locations listed on the calendar have their own web sites which can be found at http://www.ansteorra.org/groups/ this will allow you to browse their calendars which should contain links to event pages for their specific area. Be prepared to email people associated with each specific event, if you are not a member of SCA as directions to events are usely printed in the newsletter and at not posted on the web. I have found these people very helpful when my membership has lapsed in the past.

          Lost and Confused

          Padhraig O' Cellachain

        • williehowie2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11 7:32 PM
            Hello Coblaith

            Thanks for the info on happenings in Austin

            Take Care

            William