Frustrated

  • Jim Bubb
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
      Sorry for the long post, needed to vent.
      My wife and I have been in the SCA for a little under a year now. We
      both have become frustrated, my wife almost to the point of wanting
      to quit. The main problem is dealing with vendors who don't deliver
      on time or at all. My wife ordered garb from one vendor who never
      delivered and it took several months to get our money back. We since
      found out that this particular vendor is well known for this. Then
      she went to another highly respected vendor who has been recognized
      for her work. My wife's garb was ordered late summer, promised by
      mid December with a drop dead delivery date of early January. We are
      still waiting and the vendor will not respond to our attempts to
      contact them. I myself ordered a product from another highly
      recommended vendor. I was told the item was in stock and would be
      delivered immediately. Now several weeks later I have been informed
      that the item is being made and will be delivered shortly. I have
      ordered several products from non-sca member vendors and have had no
      problems at all, but when I order from SCA member vendors it is
      totally hit or miss. All I've been told by other members is that's
      the way it is in the SCA, you'll get your orders, it just might take
      a while. My wife is interested in rapier, but we live in a rapier
      dead area. A neighboring shire has a rapier marshal, but he won't
      reply to emails or other attempts to contact him. I had a question
      for an officer in another neighboring shire, but was told not to
      bother contacting him as he won't reply to emails. I guess our
      biggest problem is what we hear called SCA Time. This lacadazical
      approach to deadlines may be fine for SCA veterans, but to newcomers
      who are just building their SCA inventory, or need answers, SCA Time
      doesn't work. This approach to time responsibility is also hard to
      deal with for people who are used to working under tight deadlines.
      Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
      help with our frustration.

      Jim.
    • George Oakes
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
        Jim,

        I am terribly sorry that your experiences with the SCA folks have
        been met with dissatisfaction and disapointment. I do not know where
        you are located but I can say that this is not like the SCA folks
        that I know.

        I am the local hospitaller for our Barony here in Marcaster (St.
        petersburg, FL) and it is my job to ensure that our newcommers are
        happy, welcomed, and answer all thier questions they may have.

        This SCA time you speak of while it does exist, usually only exists
        at an event and is usually only applied to schedules and when feast
        or court will be held. NOT certainly for when a product is to be
        delivered to a customer.

        While I most likely cannot help you with the vendors you have
        business with, I can tell you that around here our vendors are
        courtious, and deleiver when they say they will. So it sounds like
        your vendors are the exception and not the rule.

        While I cannot speak for the rest of the worlk, only our tiny little
        kingdom of Trimaris (State of FLorida) our vendors are top-notch and
        have never had any trouble with them.

        I have ordered stuff from an armourer who deliever on time and even
        helped me get the sizes corrected. I usually by garb from a local
        vendor when we meet up at events, and while I could purchase items
        via email or post, I prefere to hand pick them and buy them in
        person. As for the other vendords they have all been pretty good.

        So I would suggest keeping track of the ones you have difficulty
        with, ask around for other vendors and talk to them before you make a
        purchase. And try other avenues.

        You said you wanted to try rapier (light weapons) but live in a
        rapier dead community, that i fear is an unfortunate norm. There are
        very few rapier fighters in our community as well but I am able to
        communicate with the marshal.

        I purhcased some rapier gear, masks (two new ones) two eppes (thin
        blades, used) and a gorgett, and well I no longer need them as I have
        gone to fight in Heavy combat. I would be willing to give them to you
        if you would pay postage, at least you may get some use of them.

        Please dont give up on the SCA, it took my wife and I about a year
        and a half before we started to get used to the way things work, meet
        new people and join and create our social groups and friends. Once
        you find these groups, or make your own I am sure the sour taste you
        have experienced will fade.

        One of the first things I did was get authorized to run an archery
        range, then I started meeting new people. then I started fighting and
        met more people. Now barely 2 years in, I know MANY MANY people, have
        made lots of great friends, and well picked up the Hospitaller
        office, and am now the full time archery marshal.

        I can't tell you how empty my life would be without these new
        friends, and new things to do. If you are still having trouble
        finding vendors and the like feel free to contact you and I can ask
        around and see if someone here can help you!

        contact me via email at goakes@...

        In Service to the Dream

        Gavine Kincaid
        Marcaster Hospitaller & Ranger
        Man at Arms to
        Syr Takamatsu Sadamitsu no kami Tadayoshi
        Trimaris, kingdom of

        (727) 612-0093

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Bubb" <jebubb@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the long post, needed to vent.
        > My wife and I have been in the SCA for a little under a year now.
        We
        > both have become frustrated, my wife almost to the point of wanting
        > to quit. The main problem is dealing with vendors who don't
        deliver
        > on time or at all. My wife ordered garb from one vendor who never
        > delivered and it took several months to get our money back. We
        since
        > found out that this particular vendor is well known for this. Then
        > she went to another highly respected vendor who has been recognized
        > for her work. My wife's garb was ordered late summer, promised by
        > mid December with a drop dead delivery date of early January. We
        are
        > still waiting and the vendor will not respond to our attempts to
        > contact them. I myself ordered a product from another highly
        > recommended vendor. I was told the item was in stock and would be
        > delivered immediately. Now several weeks later I have been
        informed
        > that the item is being made and will be delivered shortly. I have
        > ordered several products from non-sca member vendors and have had
        no
        > problems at all, but when I order from SCA member vendors it is
        > totally hit or miss. All I've been told by other members is that's
        > the way it is in the SCA, you'll get your orders, it just might
        take
        > a while. My wife is interested in rapier, but we live in a rapier
        > dead area. A neighboring shire has a rapier marshal, but he won't
        > reply to emails or other attempts to contact him. I had a question
        > for an officer in another neighboring shire, but was told not to
        > bother contacting him as he won't reply to emails. I guess our
        > biggest problem is what we hear called SCA Time. This lacadazical
        > approach to deadlines may be fine for SCA veterans, but to
        newcomers
        > who are just building their SCA inventory, or need answers, SCA
        Time
        > doesn't work. This approach to time responsibility is also hard to
        > deal with for people who are used to working under tight
        deadlines.
        > Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
        > help with our frustration.
        >
        > Jim.

      • Jennifer Couch
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
          Jim

          I am sorry to hear your problems. I was a newcomer last year and have been
          working on my garb. With all our SCA friends, we have been referred to non
          SCA vendors and have had wonderful success. I totally understand the SCA
          time thing. Its very frustrating. My suggestion is that non SCA vendors
          know how to cater to SCA people. The ones I have worked with, have
          remarkable products and are very timely and constantly stay in contact if
          there is a problem.

          As far as your wife's questions, I can refer to someone in my area that
          would be able to answer general questions on Rapier since my husband has an
          interest as well. He has been given lots of good information. Let me know
          and I will speak with you privately in regards to names and contact
          information.

          Best Regards
          Antonia de la Fuente
          Herald of Skorragardr, Ansteorra

          On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Jim Bubb <jebubb@...> wrote:

          > Sorry for the long post, needed to vent.
          > My wife and I have been in the SCA for a little under a year now. We
          > both have become frustrated, my wife almost to the point of wanting
          > to quit. The main problem is dealing with vendors who don't deliver
          > on time or at all. My wife ordered garb from one vendor who never
          > delivered and it took several months to get our money back. We since
          > found out that this particular vendor is well known for this. Then
          > she went to another highly respected vendor who has been recognized
          > for her work. My wife's garb was ordered late summer, promised by
          > mid December with a drop dead delivery date of early January. We are
          > still waiting and the vendor will not respond to our attempts to
          > contact them. I myself ordered a product from another highly
          > recommended vendor. I was told the item was in stock and would be
          > delivered immediately. Now several weeks later I have been informed
          > that the item is being made and will be delivered shortly. I have
          > ordered several products from non-sca member vendors and have had no
          > problems at all, but when I order from SCA member vendors it is
          > totally hit or miss. All I've been told by other members is that's
          > the way it is in the SCA, you'll get your orders, it just might take
          > a while. My wife is interested in rapier, but we live in a rapier
          > dead area. A neighboring shire has a rapier marshal, but he won't
          > reply to emails or other attempts to contact him. I had a question
          > for an officer in another neighboring shire, but was told not to
          > bother contacting him as he won't reply to emails. I guess our
          > biggest problem is what we hear called SCA Time. This lacadazical
          > approach to deadlines may be fine for SCA veterans, but to newcomers
          > who are just building their SCA inventory, or need answers, SCA Time
          > doesn't work. This approach to time responsibility is also hard to
          > deal with for people who are used to working under tight deadlines.
          > Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
          > help with our frustration.
          >
          > Jim.

          If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready,
          we shall never begin.--Ivan Turgenev

          View my blog at http://sarait.blogspot.com/

        • Shere'e
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
            What area are you in? Some areas are worse than others. Also, it could be
            that someone knows how to get in contact with rapier people in your area
            other than the rapier marshall you have been talking to.

            HUGE HUGS!
            Miranda
            Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

            www.webeweddings.com
            Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
              Hello Jim,

              Welcome to the SCA newcomers list.

              I sympathize with your frustrations.
              I think you have come up against 2 different issues within the SCA.
              The first, with the vendors, is one I have noticed both within the SCA, and
              in the RenFaire communities - lack of professionalism.
              Perhaps because they move from event to event, or have turned a hobby into a
              money-maker as a way of funding their travels and just don't know any
              better, these vendors have no sense of loyalty to their customers.
              I don't know how to tell them apart, either, except to talk to them and
              their customers.
              The ones who follow through and provide the items they have contracted for
              are the ones I go back to.

              The other issue - people who are supposed to be in charge of something not
              responding to emails - is a very different issue.
              The SCA is a volunteer organization, and all of its officers are volunteers.
              People take on these offices for varying reasons - and if something else,
              like real life, comes up, frequently their SCA responsibilities are what get
              put on the back burner.

              I don't know where you are, but I would be happy to try and help you with
              questions about fencing - I'm not a rapier marshal, yet, but I have started
              my marshal-in-training paperwork.
              Amongst other things, please be aware that, in addition to the division of
              heavy and light fighting, there are further divisions within rapier.
              There is light rapier - with foils and epees, and heavy rapier - with
              schlagers, a more period blade.
              There is also a new division called cut and thrust, which is somewhere
              between heavy rapier and heavy fighting.

              The gentleman offering you his old gear - and a very generous offer it is -
              is offering light rapier weapons.
              I believe the masks are suitable for heavy rapier, as well.
              What kind of fencing is done in your area?
              You should find out how recently any equipment you are considering acquiring
              has been inspected by a marshal, and in the case of the masks, how recently
              they have been punch tested.

              I know you said that someone told you not to bother emailing your local
              rapier marshal, but I think you should try to contact this person anyway -
              the person who told you may have some info you don't, but it may be old or
              incorrect info.
              Just don't hold out a lot of hope, and don't be too disappointed if they do
              not, in fact, respond to your email - you were warned, but that's no reason
              not to try.

              You also said you live in a rapier dead zone - perhaps you can change that -
              I know someone who is enthusiastic can turn an area around.

              Good luck with things, and keep at it.
              There have been several times over the 4 years I've been a member of the
              SCA, that I have considered dropping out, but I've stuck with it, and it has
              been a lot of fun.

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                It would be helpful to know the area you live.  There are good and bad vendors in the SCA as there are in the Mudane world.  Speaking as a Marshal I can tell you each KIngdom has different rules for Fencing,  In the Eastern Kingdom is different to the Mid Realm as an example.

                If you reply back with a little more info I think you would be pleased with the results.

                Respectfully,
                Lord Philippe Provost

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                  Jim, I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many problems since
                  joining the SCA. I can see why you would find the difficulties with
                  the vendors hard to deal with. I wish I had a good suggestion to deal
                  with them but I don't. I've always made garb rather than ordering it,
                  except for little bits and pieces I could buy off the shelf.

                  Have you checked to see if there is a rapier mailing list for your
                  kingdom? That way you won't have to depend on your local rapier
                  marshal answering your emails. There are lots of special interest
                  mailing lists out there for the SCA.

                  Scolastica

                  On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Jim Bubb <jebubb@...> wrote:
                  > Sorry for the long post, needed to vent.
                  > My wife and I have been in the SCA for a little under a year now.  We
                  > both have become frustrated, my wife almost to the point of wanting
                  > to quit.  The main problem is dealing with vendors who don't deliver
                  > on time or at all.  My wife ordered garb from one vendor who never
                  > delivered and it took several months to get our money back.  We since
                  > found out that this particular vendor is well known for this.  Then
                  > she went to another highly respected vendor who has been recognized
                  > for her work.  My wife's garb was ordered late summer, promised by
                  > mid December with a drop dead delivery date of early January.  We are
                  > still waiting and the vendor will not respond to our attempts to
                  > contact them.  I myself ordered a product from another highly
                  > recommended vendor.  I was told the item was in stock and would be
                  > delivered immediately.  Now several weeks later I have been informed
                  > that the item is being made and will be delivered shortly.  I have
                  > ordered several products from non-sca member vendors and have had no
                  > problems at all, but when I order from SCA member vendors it is
                  > totally hit or miss.  All I've been told by other members is that's
                  > the way it is in the SCA, you'll get your orders, it just might take
                  > a while.  My wife is interested in rapier, but we live in a rapier
                  > dead area.  A neighboring shire has a rapier marshal, but he won't
                  > reply to emails or other attempts to contact him.  I had a question
                  > for an officer in another neighboring shire, but was told not to
                  > bother contacting him as he won't reply to emails.  I guess our
                  > biggest problem is what we hear called SCA Time.  This lacadazical
                  > approach to deadlines may be fine for SCA veterans, but to newcomers
                  > who are just building their SCA inventory, or need answers, SCA Time
                  > doesn't work.  This approach to time responsibility is also hard to
                  > deal with for people who are used to working under tight deadlines.
                  > Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
                  > help with our frustration.
                  >
                  > Jim.
                • Marlene Ladouceur
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                    Dia duit (hello in irish gaelic) Jim!

                    I`m Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien, from Shire La Selve d`Aure, East Kingdom.

                    We are a little group here: 12 members and about 40 "seekers" (persons who comes to our events regularly)

                    Don`t know where you come from, but your bad experience with dealers is not the same as I have here in East Kingdom (for those I met). There are bad persons everywhere, anyways but much more good ones ;0)

                    Yes there is a "SCA time". But here, in our Shire (La Selve d`Aure, north of Québec, Canada), SCA time just mean: live in medieval time, maybe the feast will be served a few minutes later but don`t you worry: we have some distractions to help you wait in case of, take time to observe, take time to live, take time to learn, take time with your family, don`t be rush. But when you make affairs and when the dealer put a deliver time on that, you sure will have your stuff or be answered by your questions--that`s my experience...

                    Yes, sometimes officers are very busy and can`t deliver an answer in the minutes...As someone told before: we are a non profit organism so "officers" are`nt paid for the "job" they do but always try to answer in a brief delay. I`m a chatelaine and a chronicler since 4 years now, I do because SCA is also a "learn and share" place, I like to help people but sometimes, the answer to a question come a week after because I have to ask another person first because I sometimes don`t have the right answer and want to have...

                    I know that sometimes burocratie is heavy...For example, we have heavy rattan fighters here but no marshal at all...So we do practices "out of SCA" and fighter`s cards deliveries and accreditaions by the nearer marshal that we meet in the year (almost always in Montreal, 6 hours from our place because we do traveling there once or two times a year for an event and so they do too!)

                    my advertisings:- first ask yourselfs:do we like medieval?

                    -if yes: you`re at the good place in Second time: what do I search in SCA?

                    -if you`re asking about two or more of them positively: new friends, learning , sharing infos and things and learns, feasts and tournois, clothings, camping, special events, arts and sciences (ex: brewering, sewing, beading,armouring,heraldics,cooking, wrinting, calligraphy, ect...there are so much!!!) fighting (rapier, heavy weapons) weapon throwing (knifes, weapon...my english is not very good...) archery...and all of it in the medieval time, you`re at the best place! There are so many more things then shopping to do!

                    -If you like medieval shopping and dìd not had a good time in your place with the dealers, go elsewhere, there are so many people who sale medieval garbs!

                    -never let a question unanswered, here, in East Kingdom, an officer is allowed to answer in a "reasonable" delay (for chatelaine is 10 days max.but use to be much more less) if the officer that you asking a question cannot answer to your question, don`t be worried, he will asking someone else to have the right answer. and if you don`t have an answer in a 10 days, ask again or ask your chatelaine or castellan (the person who is responsable of the newcomers of the group near or for your place) or your seneschal, the person who respond for the group you`re from. And if they don`t answer, ask a little more up them: the Kingdom Seneschal. But always let them a big 10 days, keep in mind that you are not alone who wants answers ;0).

                    -For SCA merchants problems, if the SCA (I said SCA) merchant don `t want to be right with you, you can contact your local seneschal and ask him or her what you can do with that or just proscribt that merchant from your shopping list ;0)

                    -be sure that when you ask, in SCA, your answer will always come, from one or other ;0)--that`s my experience and all of the people who live here in my Shire.

                    Hope I helped and that your medieval SCA passion will still burning long time again...

                    Lady Éadaoin uì Brien,

                    châtelaine and chronicler

                    from Shire La Selve d`Aure, Ek

                    Précepte de vie "Éadaoin" no.456 " Never let the sand brake the wheel of your dreams, just let the wind clean it up!"

                    To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                      Jim,
                      Everything George/Gavine said is true.
                      A friend of mine had the same problem with a vendor here and I told her to call the Baron/Baroness of the group that the vendor is in and tell them the whole thing.  The next event the purchased tunic was delivered at no extra charge, even though my friend had only paid half.  The tunic was almost a year in getting to her.
                      My suggestion would be to speak to the seneschal or Baron/Baroness of the group the vendors are in.  If you tell the person in authority that you are extremely distressed that someone in their group would act this way and seriously wonder if the rest of the group acts this way too, the person in authority will definitely handle the situation.  If that doesn't help I would actually contact the  King and Queen and tell them about the situation.  If you have to go that far, believe me, someone will take notice.
                      let me know how it goes.
                      Lady Maria

                      contact me via email at goakes@tiresplus. com

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                        In a message dated 2/25/2009 9:32:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                        jebubb@... writes:

                        <<Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
                        help with our frustration.>>

                        I don't know if it will reduce or increase your frustration, but my comments
                        are that:

                        a) you have a right to be frustrated; it sounds like you have very good
                        reason to feel like you are being blocked or delayed with everything you try to do.
                        I have been in the SCA for nearly 20 years and I'd be downright angry if I
                        was put through what you have been.

                        b) It sounds as though your area of the SCA has an unusually lackadaisical
                        attitude to pretty much everything. While it's common in the SCA to hear "This
                        is my hobby and my real life has to come first, but I'll get to it as soon as
                        I can", and that is true, I haven't heard too many instances of waits and
                        refusals to answer contacts that you have described (the main need to wait for
                        product I have heard of is the gauntlets my husband ordered from a specific
                        vendor who is also a real world authority and therefore has to put real-world
                        armor commitments such as repairs and reproductions for museums, teaching
                        engagements, book production, etc ahead of his SCA work). Many times the fact that
                        one doesn't get return contacts through emails is because the website one got
                        the email from hasn't been updated and the email is wrong or that person is no
                        longer doing that job, but that doesn't sound like your situation.

                        Honestly, at this point I would start letting your frustration show and tell
                        people, "Look, if this keeps up, we're not going to be able to continue with
                        this hobby because it's too bad for our stress levels". Try to get the
                        laid-back locals to see how the situation that they are used to and accept as normal
                        affects and turns away newcomers.

                        Lancaster, PA
                        steps!
                        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

                      • Janet
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                          Follow the chain of command, if there is a problem with kingdom officers, take it up with their supervisors. That would be the Society officers.

                          ~Isabel
                          Middle Kingdom
                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 25, 2009
                            It's almost to that point.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                              Thanks to everyone for your replies. Believe me they all helped.
                              Like I said when I posted, I really just needed to vent. My local
                              shire has been wonderful. One in particular has taken my wife and I
                              under his wing and really helped. As for rapier, we are attending
                              the EK King and Queens Championship this weekend and our primary goal
                              is to make some contacts with local rapier people.

                              Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement,

                              Jim.

                            • Philip Packard
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 26, 2009
                                Jim,

                                You might want to check the date.  I have it as 3/28 my friend. If so I might see you there. Best of luck

                                Philippe

                                Thanks to everyone for your replies. Believe me they all helped.
                                Like I said when I posted, I really just needed to vent. My local
                                shire has been wonderful. One in particular has taken my wife and I
                                under his wing and really helped. As for rapier, we are attending
                                the EK King and Queens Championship this weekend and our primary goal
                                is to make some contacts with local rapier people.

                                Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement,

                                Jim.

                                --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim Bubb" <jebubb@...> wrote:

                                > Sorry for the long post, needed to vent.
                                > My wife and I have been in the SCA for a little under a year now.
                                We
                                > both have become frustrated, my wife almost to the point of wanting
                                > to quit. The main problem is dealing with vendors who don't
                                deliver
                                > on time or at all. My wife ordered garb from one vendor who never
                                > delivered and it took several months to get our money back. We
                                since
                                > found out that this particular vendor is well known for this. Then
                                > she went to another highly respected vendor who has been recognized
                                > for her work. My wife's garb was ordered late summer, promised by
                                > mid December with a drop dead delivery date of early January. We
                                are
                                > still waiting and the vendor will not respond to our attempts to
                                > contact them. I myself ordered a product from another highly
                                > recommended vendor. I was told the item was in stock and would be
                                > delivered immediately. Now several weeks later I have been
                                informed
                                > that the item is being made and will be delivered shortly. I have
                                > ordered several products from non-sca member vendors and have had
                                no
                                > problems at all, but when I order from SCA member vendors it is
                                > totally hit or miss. All I've been told by other members is that's
                                > the way it is in the SCA, you'll get your orders, it just might
                                take
                                > a while. My wife is interested in rapier, but we live in a rapier
                                > dead area. A neighboring shire has a rapier marshal, but he won't
                                > reply to emails or other attempts to contact him. I had a question
                                > for an officer in another neighboring shire, but was told not to
                                > bother contacting him as he won't reply to emails. I guess our
                                > biggest problem is what we hear called SCA Time. This lacadazical
                                > approach to deadlines may be fine for SCA veterans, but to
                                newcomers
                                > who are just building their SCA inventory, or need answers, SCA
                                Time
                                > doesn't work. This approach to time responsibility is also hard to
                                > deal with for people who are used to working under tight
                                deadlines.
                                > Sorry to vent, but I hope someone here can say something that will
                                > help with our frustration.
                                >
                                > Jim.

                              • Mallory Tremaine
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 11, 2011
                                  As a newbie, I feel your pain. I have also found that there is no communication from pre-exisiting group members to a newbie. I contacted the local Seneschal and was greeted warmly but never heard from her again. I subscribed to our local chapter newsletter and made contact with a couple of people who were supposedly involved in the A&S activities that resonated with me - ditto - no (or cursory) response.
                                  I did manage to get to two different meetings and enjoyed them both but there is precious little available that is truly local.
                                  Joining the SCA was supposed to be fun and give me the opportunity to meet people and learn some new things. It hasn't worked out that way for me but I hope you have better luck. If I move into another area in the future I might give it another try but for now, I've essentially given up

                                • D K Skoog
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 16 4:38 PM
                                    I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                    have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                    clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                    something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                    because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                    do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                    meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                    will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                    it.

                                  • Mack Cothran
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 16 4:51 PM
                                      Skoog, I am new to Meridies myself.  I am currently making my own clothing, and would be glad to help if I can.   Where do you live?  I am in Baileyton, but maybe we can get together and come up with something.  I wont make any events this month, but do hope to attend The Boar Hunt in June.  Email me directly at ordcaptain@... and lets exchange contact information and see what we can work out.

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 16 4:56 PM
                                        Which group are you in?

                                        On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                                        > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                        > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                        > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                        > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                        > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                        > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                        > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                        > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                        > it.

                                      • D K Skoog
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 16 4:57 PM
                                          I am in Southdowns.

                                          On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM, David Backlin <thledrei@...> wrote:

                                          > **
                                          >

                                          > Which group are you in?
                                          >

                                          > On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                          > > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for
                                          > either
                                          > > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic
                                          > or
                                          > > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                          > > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want
                                          > > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                          > > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                          > > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                          > > it.

                                        • Susan B. Farmer
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 16 5:06 PM
                                            On 5/16/2013 7:38 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                                            > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                            > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                            > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                            > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                            > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                            > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                            > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                            > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                            > it.

                                            Unfortunately there's not a lot of traffic on yahoo these days. Have
                                            you tried the Facebook group? There's generally loaner garb at most
                                            Meridian events. I don't know which Barony that you're talking about
                                            but most of them are quite good about that sort of thing. Feel free to
                                            email off-list if you want. I'm in way south Georgia, but .....

                                            Jerusha
                                            --
                                            Susan B. Farmer
                                            sfarmer@...
                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 16 5:10 PM
                                              I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                                              name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                                              I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                                              anything.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 16 5:12 PM
                                                On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                                                > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                                                > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                                                > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                                                > anything.

                                                ok. That's them. Most of the other groups actually have *groups*

                                                And I will say that South Downs is usually much better than that.

                                                Here's the event page
                                                https://www.facebook.com/events/157153071117370/?ref=ts&fref=ts -- might
                                                also be a good place to ask!

                                                Jerusha
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 16 5:17 PM
                                                  On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                                                  > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                                                  > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                                                  > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                                                  > anything.

                                                  I just posted a generic "there's a gentle trying to get in touch with
                                                  y'all via yahoo" on the Baronial Page ....." We'll see what happens.

                                                  Jerusha
                                                  --
                                                  Susan B. Farmer
                                                  sfarmer@...
                                                  Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                                                  College of Science and Math
                                                  http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                                                  http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                                                • Bill Toscano
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 16 5:18 PM
                                                    Go here and write to the baron, seneschal and chatelaine.

                                                    http://atlantasca.org/?page_id=25

                                                    On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                                                    > **
                                                    >

                                                    > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                                    > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                                    > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                                    > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                                    > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                                    > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                                    > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                                    > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                                    > it.

                                                  • Jo
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 16 5:41 PM
                                                      I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                                                      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , May 16 6:29 PM
                                                        On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                                                        > I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request

                                                        Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!

                                                        Jerusha
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , May 16 6:30 PM
                                                          On 5/16/2013 9:29 PM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
                                                          > On 5/16/2013 8:41 PM, Jo wrote:
                                                          >> I also posted to Southdowns the gentiles request
                                                          >>

                                                          > Thanks! Clearly this good gentle was just hollering in the wrong place!
                                                          >
                                                          > Jerusha

                                                          And that's a pity -- we're so fragmented. Somebody needs to keep an
                                                          eye/ear on all the places!

                                                          Jerusha
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , May 16 6:35 PM
                                                            On 5/16/2013 8:10 PM, D K Skoog wrote:
                                                            > I haven't been able to find the facebook group. I found a "person" with the
                                                            > name Barony Southdowns, but it's not a group where people can post to it.
                                                            > I've tried searching several variations and am just not coming up with
                                                            > anything.

                                                            Danielle, we're getting some nibbles. If you want to PM me here or on
                                                            Facebook (the middle initial is BAKER) I'll see what we can do.

                                                            Jerusha
                                                            --
                                                            Susan B. Farmer
                                                            sfarmer@...
                                                            Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
                                                            College of Science and Math
                                                            http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium
                                                            http://www.abac.edu/academics/schools/math-science/faculty-staff/sfarmer
                                                          • Christey
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , May 16 9:08 PM
                                                              My mother in law may be able to help you. Try contacting her. Her name is THE Catrin Skynith and her number is listed in the popular chivalry under houndsmistress of Meridies. Best of luck.

                                                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D K Skoog <dkskoog@...> wrote:

                                                              > I wanted to go to A&S and Crown tournament in Meridies this month, but I
                                                              > have no clothes. I sent an email to the barony yahoogroup asking for either
                                                              > clothes I could borrow or someone who could help me make a simple tunic or
                                                              > something. No one bothered to answer. Now I'm not going to the event
                                                              > because I have nothing to wear. There are also a bunch of things I want to
                                                              > do, but I have no idea who might do them near me and I feel like I can't
                                                              > meet people because I can't go to events because I haven't met people who
                                                              > will teach me to sew because I haven't gone to events because.... you get
                                                              > it.

                                                            • loricopland
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , May 17 2:36 PM
                                                                The Chatelaine from your area should have what is called Gold Key which is loaner garb for newcomers. Mack knows the Chatelaine so I am sure he can hook you up and he does know how to sew really well!. The only requirement for an SCA event is an attempt at period garb. If your a male, plain dark sweatpants and either boots or dark sneakers works and a plain long T-shirt. For a female, if you have any long broomstick skirts with a pain top, can pass. Hopefully, at the event you attend they should have loaner garb there as well. Here is a link to making a T-tunic which is basically a long t-shirt. This works for both men and women: http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html don't worry about headgear, not important for beginners. Again, only an attempt is required.

                                                                If you have any other questions, Mack and I will try to help.

                                                                Yours in Service,
                                                                Assistant Seneschal Ostgardr
                                                                Lady Eilionora inghean ui Ruairc
                                                                (mundanely known as Lori O'Rourke Copland)