Re: [SCA Newcomers] Regarding Facebook...

  • ann baltrush
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 14 6:02 PM
      Your not alone.  I have recieved request to be friends and join groupy, I just delete them too.  Ann of Towers

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 15 2:00 AM
        On Sun, 15/2/09, ann baltrush <abaltrush@...> wrote:
        Your not alone.  I have recieved request to be friends and join groupy, I just delete them too.  Ann of Towers

        Comment,
         Gentles all,
        Isolated in our tiny island, but giving online service as West Dragonshire's Hospitaller to a number of apparently-interested persons I've not met before, I have also had invites to either be a Friend or to join Grouply.

        So I asked our IT-professional younger son his opinion [he's also my SysAdmin.] - just in case I was missing valuable PR or recruiting contacts for the SCA.
         His instant answer was "no, Dad, don't join such "pyramiding" membership schemes  under any circumstances! The security risks to your PersSec. and your SysSec. are just too high. There are plenty of other ways genuine enquirers can contact you for living-history info!"

        So, ladies and gentlemen, any such "join-up" requests to me are likely to be deleted, particularly if I don't recognise the sender as a previous e-mail contact.

         If you want to find-out more about the S. of England SCA, then contact me/us through
        < www.westdragonshire.org >

        YiS,
        Matthew Baker,
         Hospitaller of West Dragonshire

      • Philip Packard
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15 8:41 AM
          Groupy is yahoo I think.  I think it is a trendy thing,  I'm kind of old fashioned, one e-mail address is fine and most of these boards want you to set up an e-mail with them.  If someone is clearly SCA or LHA I usually accept them.  But I do understand the need to be cautious.

          Philippe

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15 11:49 AM
            Greetings,

            For those who are not on Facebook; it is a social networking website. A
            bunch of junk but has some of the best search engines when it comes to
            looking people up.

            I have lived in six different kingdoms; been to three different
            universities; and has lost track of more people in the past ten years then I
            have known. Facebook has helped me get back in touch with those that I
            haven't seen since high school; college; etc. Remember, if you are posting
            anything on any website; is it something that you would want your employer
            to know about; your family to know about; or if you want it broadcasted on
            the nightly news.

            Otto

          • Kristen Praiswater
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15 8:09 PM
              I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent anything to you and if I have I apologize for it.  You know, I don't even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

              Kristen

              From: Rozina <slavic_rose@ yahoo.com>

              To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15 9:09 PM
                On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 20:09 -0800, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                > I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent
                > anything to you and if I have I apologize for it. You know, I don't
                > even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

                I don't think you did, Kristen, so this post is a general comment on the
                thread and *not* aimed at you or any other individual.

                In general, it is considered bad netiquette to post "please friend me on
                ____ social web site" to a broadly-distributed public forum. There are a
                few of the social web sites that actually retrieve your email address
                book and do that sort of stunt with little or no control of the user, so
                watch out which social network sites you sign into.

                As someone else pointed out here, those "free" social sites are
                ad-revenue supported. The reputable ones try to provide a useful and/or
                fun experience and hope their users will encourage friends to sign up
                and will themselves visit often, thereby generating a lot of banner ad
                traffic. No problem there. The less reputable ones encourage you,
                possibly with some automated "help", to spam all your email lists with
                the invitations.

                Inviting someone to be a friend on a social website is a great thing,
                but good netiquette says it should be done with a personal invitation to
                people you actually know, not "papering the world".

                As mentioned above, nobody has done this recently on the SCAnewcomers
                list, so this is not aimed at Kristen or anyone else who's posted
                recently. It's just general list moderation advice, since the question
                was (indirectly) asked.

                My recent MODERATOR post about someone needing to disclose their
                business interest in a message was not related to the Facebook thread,
                but concerned something else.

                Kind regards,

                Justin
                List Moderator

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • lovedaia-makeblith@centurytel.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15 9:27 PM
                  Lovey of Calontir here...trying to drag myself out of winter
                  hybernation and get back into the world a bit...

                  I have Facebook....always looking for more ways to stay in touch, so
                  please, add me to your friend list!

                  Lovedaia Makeblith

                  aka..Lovey of Calontir

                • Justinos Tekton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16 5:34 AM
                    On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 00:27 -0500, {a list member} wrote:
                    > I have Facebook....always looking for more ways to stay in touch,
                    > so please, add me to your friend list!

                    This is what I was talking about....please don't do this on the list,
                    folks.

                    Kind regards,

                    Justin
                    List Moderator

                    fesswise reversed sable.

                    justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                  • Trish Mickelsen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 16 7:58 AM
                      NO!!!  Grouply is NOT Yahoo!!!  Two totally separate birds.
                       Hugs & Kisses,
                      Trish

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 16 9:49 AM
                        Greeting People Of The Known World:

                        Its probably 'none of my never mind anyway' but I am scratching my brain trying to figure out what LHA means, stands for, etc.

                        Lost And Confused

                        Padhraig O' Cellachain

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 17 6:19 AM
                          That makes sense.  Thank you for clearing things up for me.

                          Kristen

                          On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 20:09 -0800, Kristen Praiswater wrote:

                          > I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent

                          > anything to you and if I have I apologize for it. You know, I don't

                          > even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

                          I don't think you did, Kristen, so this post is a general comment on the

                          thread and *not* aimed at you or any other individual.

                          In general, it is considered bad netiquette to post "please friend me on

                          ____ social web site" to a broadly-distributed public forum. There are a

                          few of the social web sites that actually retrieve your email address

                          book and do that sort of stunt with little or no control of the user, so

                          watch out which social network sites you sign into.

                          As someone else pointed out here, those "free" social sites are

                          ad-revenue supported. The reputable ones try to provide a useful and/or

                          fun experience and hope their users will encourage friends to sign up

                          and will themselves visit often, thereby generating a lot of banner ad

                          traffic. No problem there. The less reputable ones encourage you,

                          possibly with some automated "help", to spam all your email lists with

                          the invitations.

                          Inviting someone to be a friend on a social website is a great thing,

                          but good netiquette says it should be done with a personal invitation to

                          people you actually know, not "papering the world".

                          As mentioned above, nobody has done this recently on the SCAnewcomers

                          list, so this is not aimed at Kristen or anyone else who's posted

                          recently. It's just general list moderation advice, since the question

                          was (indirectly) asked.

                          My recent MODERATOR post about someone needing to disclose their

                          business interest in a message was not related to the Facebook thread,

                          but concerned something else.

                          Kind regards,

                          Justin

                          List Moderator