Regarding Facebook...

  • Rozina
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 14, 2009
      Hello, all....been getting requests from people to "add" me as Friend
      or Facebook invite...if you want to add me, grand, but I'm getting
      names I don't recognize, mundane personas or just creepy people, I'm
      not sure, so if I don't recognize the names, please understand, you are
      simply deleted, gone, hasta la bye-bye! Just thought I should say
      something.....

      Hugs anyway,
      Rozina.
    • ann baltrush
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 14, 2009
        Your not alone.  I have recieved request to be friends and join groupy, I just delete them too.  Ann of Towers

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
          On Sun, 15/2/09, ann baltrush <abaltrush@...> wrote:
          Your not alone.  I have recieved request to be friends and join groupy, I just delete them too.  Ann of Towers

          Comment,
           Gentles all,
          Isolated in our tiny island, but giving online service as West Dragonshire's Hospitaller to a number of apparently-interested persons I've not met before, I have also had invites to either be a Friend or to join Grouply.

          So I asked our IT-professional younger son his opinion [he's also my SysAdmin.] - just in case I was missing valuable PR or recruiting contacts for the SCA.
           His instant answer was "no, Dad, don't join such "pyramiding" membership schemes  under any circumstances! The security risks to your PersSec. and your SysSec. are just too high. There are plenty of other ways genuine enquirers can contact you for living-history info!"

          So, ladies and gentlemen, any such "join-up" requests to me are likely to be deleted, particularly if I don't recognise the sender as a previous e-mail contact.

           If you want to find-out more about the S. of England SCA, then contact me/us through
          < www.westdragonshire.org >

          YiS,
          Matthew Baker,
           Hospitaller of West Dragonshire

        • Philip Packard
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
            Groupy is yahoo I think.  I think it is a trendy thing,  I'm kind of old fashioned, one e-mail address is fine and most of these boards want you to set up an e-mail with them.  If someone is clearly SCA or LHA I usually accept them.  But I do understand the need to be cautious.

            Philippe

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
              Greetings,

              For those who are not on Facebook; it is a social networking website. A
              bunch of junk but has some of the best search engines when it comes to
              looking people up.

              I have lived in six different kingdoms; been to three different
              universities; and has lost track of more people in the past ten years then I
              have known. Facebook has helped me get back in touch with those that I
              haven't seen since high school; college; etc. Remember, if you are posting
              anything on any website; is it something that you would want your employer
              to know about; your family to know about; or if you want it broadcasted on
              the nightly news.

              Otto

            • Kristen Praiswater
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
                I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent anything to you and if I have I apologize for it.  You know, I don't even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

                Kristen

                From: Rozina <slavic_rose@ yahoo.com>

                To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
                  On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 20:09 -0800, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                  > I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent
                  > anything to you and if I have I apologize for it. You know, I don't
                  > even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

                  I don't think you did, Kristen, so this post is a general comment on the
                  thread and *not* aimed at you or any other individual.

                  In general, it is considered bad netiquette to post "please friend me on
                  ____ social web site" to a broadly-distributed public forum. There are a
                  few of the social web sites that actually retrieve your email address
                  book and do that sort of stunt with little or no control of the user, so
                  watch out which social network sites you sign into.

                  As someone else pointed out here, those "free" social sites are
                  ad-revenue supported. The reputable ones try to provide a useful and/or
                  fun experience and hope their users will encourage friends to sign up
                  and will themselves visit often, thereby generating a lot of banner ad
                  traffic. No problem there. The less reputable ones encourage you,
                  possibly with some automated "help", to spam all your email lists with
                  the invitations.

                  Inviting someone to be a friend on a social website is a great thing,
                  but good netiquette says it should be done with a personal invitation to
                  people you actually know, not "papering the world".

                  As mentioned above, nobody has done this recently on the SCAnewcomers
                  list, so this is not aimed at Kristen or anyone else who's posted
                  recently. It's just general list moderation advice, since the question
                  was (indirectly) asked.

                  My recent MODERATOR post about someone needing to disclose their
                  business interest in a message was not related to the Facebook thread,
                  but concerned something else.

                  Kind regards,

                  Justin
                  List Moderator

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • lovedaia-makeblith@centurytel.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 15, 2009
                    Lovey of Calontir here...trying to drag myself out of winter
                    hybernation and get back into the world a bit...

                    I have Facebook....always looking for more ways to stay in touch, so
                    please, add me to your friend list!

                    Lovedaia Makeblith

                    aka..Lovey of Calontir

                  • Justinos Tekton
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 16, 2009
                      On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 00:27 -0500, {a list member} wrote:
                      > I have Facebook....always looking for more ways to stay in touch,
                      > so please, add me to your friend list!

                      This is what I was talking about....please don't do this on the list,
                      folks.

                      Kind regards,

                      Justin
                      List Moderator

                      fesswise reversed sable.

                      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                    • Trish Mickelsen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 16, 2009
                        NO!!!  Grouply is NOT Yahoo!!!  Two totally separate birds.
                         Hugs & Kisses,
                        Trish

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 16, 2009
                          Greeting People Of The Known World:

                          Its probably 'none of my never mind anyway' but I am scratching my brain trying to figure out what LHA means, stands for, etc.

                          Lost And Confused

                          Padhraig O' Cellachain

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 17, 2009
                            That makes sense.  Thank you for clearing things up for me.

                            Kristen

                            On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 20:09 -0800, Kristen Praiswater wrote:

                            > I have an account with both, and I hope I haven't accidentally sent

                            > anything to you and if I have I apologize for it. You know, I don't

                            > even know why I signed up with them I don't use them at all.

                            I don't think you did, Kristen, so this post is a general comment on the

                            thread and *not* aimed at you or any other individual.

                            In general, it is considered bad netiquette to post "please friend me on

                            ____ social web site" to a broadly-distributed public forum. There are a

                            few of the social web sites that actually retrieve your email address

                            book and do that sort of stunt with little or no control of the user, so

                            watch out which social network sites you sign into.

                            As someone else pointed out here, those "free" social sites are

                            ad-revenue supported. The reputable ones try to provide a useful and/or

                            fun experience and hope their users will encourage friends to sign up

                            and will themselves visit often, thereby generating a lot of banner ad

                            traffic. No problem there. The less reputable ones encourage you,

                            possibly with some automated "help", to spam all your email lists with

                            the invitations.

                            Inviting someone to be a friend on a social website is a great thing,

                            but good netiquette says it should be done with a personal invitation to

                            people you actually know, not "papering the world".

                            As mentioned above, nobody has done this recently on the SCAnewcomers

                            list, so this is not aimed at Kristen or anyone else who's posted

                            recently. It's just general list moderation advice, since the question

                            was (indirectly) asked.

                            My recent MODERATOR post about someone needing to disclose their

                            business interest in a message was not related to the Facebook thread,

                            but concerned something else.

                            Kind regards,

                            Justin

                            List Moderator