Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fires of Belenus Book Review

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
      On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:31 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
      > The Novel "Fires of Belenus"
      > Reviewed in the current issue (#65) of Renaissance Magazine

      Are you, Sir, the author of the book whose reviews you quote on the
      list? If so, you should disclose that in the interest of fairness.

      Kind regards,

      Justin
      List Moderator

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • williehowie2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
        Hello Justin -

        Honestly, I thought that since Renaissance Magazine had a wide SCA
        following and they found the novel enjoyable that this group may
        enjoy it as well. I think we do share an avid interest in the old
        world. My interest settles in pre-Roman Celtic Europe.

        No offense intended - I did label the post prominently as a Book
        Review. If this is against policy, I'll hagar you no further.

        Take Care

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton <justin@...>
        wrote:

        > On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:31 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
        > > The Novel "Fires of Belenus"
        > > Reviewed in the current issue (#65) of Renaissance Magazine
        >

        > Are you, Sir, the author of the book whose reviews you quote on the
        > list? If so, you should disclose that in the interest of fairness.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Justin
        > List Moderator
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
        xxxx()
        > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
        keys
        > fesswise reversed sable.
        >
        > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2009
          On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 03:44 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
          > Honestly, I thought that since Renaissance Magazine had a wide SCA
          > following and they found the novel enjoyable that this group may
          > enjoy it as well. I think we do share an avid interest in the old
          > world. My interest settles in pre-Roman Celtic Europe.
          >
          > No offense intended - I did label the post prominently as a Book
          > Review. If this is against policy, I'll hagar you no further.

          Good morning, William

          I don't speak for everyone on the list, but as moderator I had no
          objection to what you posted, as long as you fully disclose that you
          have a business interest in promoting the book, and as long as you don't
          stray too far toward advertising.

          For an author to say, "I have a new book just published that I thought
          SCA folk would find interesting" is, in my opinion, perfectly okay. To
          have an author say "There is a great new book out that I recommend"
          implies that they are an objective reviewer, which no author can be.

          I'm just interested in making sure everyone has full disclosure about
          the relationship between reviewers and publishers and authors, so they
          can make informed decisions about how to interpret the review or book
          announcement.

          I respect the fact that you intended to act in good faith, and simply
          strayed into a grey area of list policy unintentionally. That is why I
          offered you a chance to remedy the matter, which you have done, rather
          than acting punitively. Thank you for stepping forward to do the right
          thing.

          Kind regards,