Fires of Belenus Book Review

  • williehowie2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
      The Novel "Fires of Belenus"

      Reviewed in the current issue (#65) of Renaissance Magazine

      "Fires of Belenus is the debut historical novel by William H. Russeth
      and a remarkable tale of the ancient Celts. The novel says very true to
      the nature of these complex and fascinating people, while still adding a
      sense of wonder. . ."

      "If you enjoy a great historical adventure with characters that you care
      about and a good dose of romance, then you should give Fires of Belenus
      a read. It is a gripping and executed well. You won't be disappointed."
      - - - Jason M Tucker.

      For the entire review visit the webpage, or Myspace listed below.

      Fires of Belenus
      A novel of high adventure in ancient Celtica

      Available Wings-Press: www.wings-press.com <http://www.wings-press.com/>
      or www.Amazon.com <http://www.amazon.com/>
      You Tube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3n7D1U4sQ
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3n7D1U4sQ>

      More information and excerpts at :
      http://mysite.verizon.net/resr5omo/whrhomepage/
      <http://mysite.verizon.net/resr5omo/whrhomepage/> or

      My Space: www.myspace.com <http://www.myspace.com/> /oserix

    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
        On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:31 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
        > The Novel "Fires of Belenus"
        > Reviewed in the current issue (#65) of Renaissance Magazine

        Are you, Sir, the author of the book whose reviews you quote on the
        list? If so, you should disclose that in the interest of fairness.

        Kind regards,

        Justin
        List Moderator

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • williehowie2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
          Hello Justin -

          Honestly, I thought that since Renaissance Magazine had a wide SCA
          following and they found the novel enjoyable that this group may
          enjoy it as well. I think we do share an avid interest in the old
          world. My interest settles in pre-Roman Celtic Europe.

          No offense intended - I did label the post prominently as a Book
          Review. If this is against policy, I'll hagar you no further.

          Take Care

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton <justin@...>
          wrote:

          > On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:31 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
          > > The Novel "Fires of Belenus"
          > > Reviewed in the current issue (#65) of Renaissance Magazine
          >

          > Are you, Sir, the author of the book whose reviews you quote on the
          > list? If so, you should disclose that in the interest of fairness.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          >
          > Justin
          > List Moderator
          >
          > --
          > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
          xxxx()
          > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two
          keys
          > fesswise reversed sable.
          >
          > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2009
            On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 03:44 +0000, williehowie2002 wrote:
            > Honestly, I thought that since Renaissance Magazine had a wide SCA
            > following and they found the novel enjoyable that this group may
            > enjoy it as well. I think we do share an avid interest in the old
            > world. My interest settles in pre-Roman Celtic Europe.
            >
            > No offense intended - I did label the post prominently as a Book
            > Review. If this is against policy, I'll hagar you no further.

            Good morning, William

            I don't speak for everyone on the list, but as moderator I had no
            objection to what you posted, as long as you fully disclose that you
            have a business interest in promoting the book, and as long as you don't
            stray too far toward advertising.

            For an author to say, "I have a new book just published that I thought
            SCA folk would find interesting" is, in my opinion, perfectly okay. To
            have an author say "There is a great new book out that I recommend"
            implies that they are an objective reviewer, which no author can be.

            I'm just interested in making sure everyone has full disclosure about
            the relationship between reviewers and publishers and authors, so they
            can make informed decisions about how to interpret the review or book
            announcement.

            I respect the fact that you intended to act in good faith, and simply
            strayed into a grey area of list policy unintentionally. That is why I
            offered you a chance to remedy the matter, which you have done, rather
            than acting punitively. Thank you for stepping forward to do the right
            thing.

            Kind regards,