Paging Fencers from all Kingdoms - Iron Ring?

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
      Greetings one and all.

      Some of you are new and many here are not. If you are interested in
      doing arts martial in the SCA I recommend you give ALL of them at
      least a try. Heavy fighting with rattan weapons, archery, thrown
      weapons, siege weaponry and of course my favorite rapier fencing.

      There is a challenge called the Iron Ring that folks can fight for in
      some Kingdoms. It is a prowess thing. Anyone who fences may
      challenge for it and there is only one in a Kingdom (or principality).

      To learn more about it you can check out the Iron Ring Yahoo! group.

      I'm hoping to hear from folks from all kingdoms that have an Iron Ring.

      Ian the Green
    • Philip Packard
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2009
        We have such a practice here in the Eastern Kingdom.  At this last Pennsic I had the honor of being Lord Quinn's second in a challenge.  The way I understand it once you have the iron ring you are subject to challenges at all times and can only keep it if you win the challenge.  Your seconds agree on the terms and weapons used in the challenge. Clearly as a second you wish to give your champion as much advantage as you can give your champion.  We agreed on three bouts and different weapons for each bout.

        Anyone can challenge, but the holder of the ring is usually a very good fencer.  Lord Quinn is a extremely talented fencer and to no suprise held the Iron Ring.  It is my preception that because of distance most challenges come at large regional events or an event like Pennsic.

        As far as trying all forms of combat.  It is an interesting thought and if I was younger and single I might consider it.  But I think for most people the limit of time and money limits how many forms of combat you are involved.  I am a fencer and the cost over time has been over a thousand dollars. I have been collecting and making my gear for heavy for a while and it is even more costly.  Because you really need to protect the body you should not cut corners on armour. If you like shiny things it will cost you more, lol :)  My helm was over three hundred from Iron Monger.

        Thank you for this interesting topic.

        Respectfully,
        Lord Philippe

        Philippe