Re: [SCA Newcomers] spanish names

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
      Antonia wrote:
      > I and my husband are doing research for a mid to late 16th century
      > spanish persona.. . .His name will be Fransisco Martin-Jiminez.

      So you've already documented "Fransisco" and "Martin-Jiminez" to your
      period?

      > My name is Antonia, but I am not sure, if I would still use my fathers
      > name or if I would use my husbands name,. . .

      Academy of Saint Gabriel Report 2351
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/2351.txt> says,
      "We would like to note that Iberian women did not change their surnames
      upon marriage; a woman generally used the same byname for her entire
      life. For example, two people called <Maria Sebastian> and <Pedro
      Sebastian> would more likely be brother and sister than husband and
      wife."

      That doesn't mean you would use your father's given name as a byname,
      either, though. Both "16th Century Spanish Names"
      <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kvs/heraldry/spanish16/> and Academy of Saint
      Gabriel Report 1945
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/1945.txt>
      indicate most people in Iberia were using inherited surnames, rather
      than literal bynames, by 1550. This means that in your period, if your
      father's name were, say, "Blas Pizzaro", you would be more likely to be
      called "Antonia Pizzaro" than "Antonia Blas".

      > My other question is, if his fathers name is Martin, would it then be
      > Martinez?

      "16th Century Spanish Names"
      <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kvs/heraldry/spanish16/> cites examples of both
      "Martín" and "Martínez" as surnames, with the former being almost twice
      as common in the data, and "Spanish Names from Jaén, 1495"
      <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/spanish/jaen1495.html> records two
      instances of "Martínes" and one of "Martinez". Any of these forms
      would be a reasonable choice. Again, though, it's more likely your
      husband would have his father's surname than a literal patronymic
      formed from his father's given name.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra