spanish names

  • Jennifer Couch
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
      Greetings all!

      I and my husband are doing research for a mid to late 16th century spanish
      persona. I am having trouble with finding information in regards to married
      names for women. His name will be Fransisco Martin-Jiminez. My name is
      Antonia, but I am not sure, if I would still use my fathers name or if I
      would use my husbands name, ex. Antonia de Martin. My other question is, if
      his fathers name is Martin, would it then be Martinez? Im a little confused
      with the information I have found. Could you please clarify?

      Antonia

      --
      If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready,
      we shall never begin.--Ivan Turgenev

    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
        Antonia wrote:
        > I and my husband are doing research for a mid to late 16th century
        > spanish persona.. . .His name will be Fransisco Martin-Jiminez.

        So you've already documented "Fransisco" and "Martin-Jiminez" to your
        period?

        > My name is Antonia, but I am not sure, if I would still use my fathers
        > name or if I would use my husbands name,. . .

        Academy of Saint Gabriel Report 2351
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/2351.txt> says,
        "We would like to note that Iberian women did not change their surnames
        upon marriage; a woman generally used the same byname for her entire
        life. For example, two people called <Maria Sebastian> and <Pedro
        Sebastian> would more likely be brother and sister than husband and
        wife."

        That doesn't mean you would use your father's given name as a byname,
        either, though. Both "16th Century Spanish Names"
        <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kvs/heraldry/spanish16/> and Academy of Saint
        Gabriel Report 1945
        <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/1945.txt>
        indicate most people in Iberia were using inherited surnames, rather
        than literal bynames, by 1550. This means that in your period, if your
        father's name were, say, "Blas Pizzaro", you would be more likely to be
        called "Antonia Pizzaro" than "Antonia Blas".

        > My other question is, if his fathers name is Martin, would it then be
        > Martinez?

        "16th Century Spanish Names"
        <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kvs/heraldry/spanish16/> cites examples of both
        "Martín" and "Martínez" as surnames, with the former being almost twice
        as common in the data, and "Spanish Names from Jaén, 1495"
        <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/spanish/jaen1495.html> records two
        instances of "Martínes" and one of "Martinez". Any of these forms
        would be a reasonable choice. Again, though, it's more likely your
        husband would have his father's surname than a literal patronymic
        formed from his father's given name.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra