Re: [SCA Newcomers] Research help please

  • Philip Packard
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
      Wow, that is interesting and something I did not know.  Yes, a creative barony might consider creating such a position.  Thank you for the input.  I learned something new.

      Philippe

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        I'm not familiar with the location of "Smoking Rocks", but I've found great books through my local library and beyond.  I'm in Colorado, [Outlands] but I've been able to request books from as far away as California through the library system.  Here are some books available at our local library (Front Range Community College and Westminster Public Library, Westminster, Colorado) and, just to let you know, I screened out the juvie literature and fiction in the library search engine; these should all be adult non-fiction:

        "Daily life in the Middle Ages" by Paul B. Newman.  Published by McFarland & Co., c2001

        "The Renaissance" by Paul Johnson.  Published by (?) New York Modern Library, c2000

        This one's more for the ladies; perhaps your lady might find it useful??  "Medieval gentlewoman: Life in a gentry household in the later Middle Ages" by Ffiona Swabey.  Published by Routledge, c1999

        This one is focused on 1450 to 1500's England, but it might be useful, too:  "A medieval family: The Pastons of fifteenth-century England" by Frances and Joseph Gies.  Published by HarperCollins Publishers, c1998

        Now, this one looks REALLY interesting!  "The Burgermeister's daughter: Scandal in a sisteenth-century German town" by Steven Ozment.  Published by St. Martin's Press, c1996

        There's a computer file available called: "Three studies in medieval religious and socil thought" by Giles Constable.  Issued by Cambridge University Press, c1995

        Now, this looks interesting, too, for anyone who might have an Arab persona - it's another computer file:  "Ritual, politics, and the city in Fatimid Cairo" by Paula Sanders, from State University of New York Press, c1994

        In this area we have a search engine called "Prospector" which gives us access to both public libraries and college libraries throughout several states.  What do you have in your area??

        Hope this helps!  Ziddina

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
          Smoking Rocks is in Southeastern Mass/Cape Cod.  Thank you for the reply/

          Philippe

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
            You're more than welcome!  Ziddina