Research help please

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
      I have autocrated a couple events and working on my third. I attended
      various events including three different Barony Birthdays outside of
      Smoking Rocks. I have recently started to research 16th century events
      (festivals and celebrations) to learn a more historial understanding of
      events. What I have found is interesting, but I have not found that
      much to date. If anyone can recommend sources that would be very
      helpful.

      I am not looking for SCA how to books, but actual historial info.

      Thank you for whatever you might be able to provide.

      Lord Philippe Provost
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
        Quoth "Phil":
        > Smoking Rocks. I have recently started to research 16th century events
        > (festivals and celebrations) to learn a more historial understanding of
        > events. What I have found is interesting, but I have not found that
        > much to date. If anyone can recommend sources that would be very
        > helpful.
        >
        > I am not looking for SCA how to books, but actual historial info.

        I recently discovered that in the 16th C the city of Aberdeen
        had two electeded posts called the "abbot of bon-accord" and
        the "prior of bon-accord", sometimes also called the "lords of
        bon-accord", who were "having the office of organizing public
        sports and entertainments." I found this information is the
        _Dictionary of the Older Scots Tongue_ s.v. bon-accord
        (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/index.html). You might be able to find
        some references to further information from the citations there.
        I really like the idea of having a "lord of bon-accord"!

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
          Wow, that is interesting and something I did not know.  Yes, a creative barony might consider creating such a position.  Thank you for the input.  I learned something new.

          Philippe

        • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
            I'm not familiar with the location of "Smoking Rocks", but I've found great books through my local library and beyond.  I'm in Colorado, [Outlands] but I've been able to request books from as far away as California through the library system.  Here are some books available at our local library (Front Range Community College and Westminster Public Library, Westminster, Colorado) and, just to let you know, I screened out the juvie literature and fiction in the library search engine; these should all be adult non-fiction:

            "Daily life in the Middle Ages" by Paul B. Newman.  Published by McFarland & Co., c2001

            "The Renaissance" by Paul Johnson.  Published by (?) New York Modern Library, c2000

            This one's more for the ladies; perhaps your lady might find it useful??  "Medieval gentlewoman: Life in a gentry household in the later Middle Ages" by Ffiona Swabey.  Published by Routledge, c1999

            This one is focused on 1450 to 1500's England, but it might be useful, too:  "A medieval family: The Pastons of fifteenth-century England" by Frances and Joseph Gies.  Published by HarperCollins Publishers, c1998

            Now, this one looks REALLY interesting!  "The Burgermeister's daughter: Scandal in a sisteenth-century German town" by Steven Ozment.  Published by St. Martin's Press, c1996

            There's a computer file available called: "Three studies in medieval religious and socil thought" by Giles Constable.  Issued by Cambridge University Press, c1995

            Now, this looks interesting, too, for anyone who might have an Arab persona - it's another computer file:  "Ritual, politics, and the city in Fatimid Cairo" by Paula Sanders, from State University of New York Press, c1994

            In this area we have a search engine called "Prospector" which gives us access to both public libraries and college libraries throughout several states.  What do you have in your area??

            Hope this helps!  Ziddina

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
              Smoking Rocks is in Southeastern Mass/Cape Cod.  Thank you for the reply/

              Philippe

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
                You're more than welcome!  Ziddina