Re: [SCA Newcomers] I am Registered!

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
      On Wed, 2/4/09, Staycy <naychur@yahoo. com> wrote:
      I just want to share my good news with everyone. SNIPPED FOR BREVITYI was able to get registered on the FIRST TRY!

      COMMENT
      Congratulations, my Lady Ephesia,.

      If you think having a Greek persona could have  been a problem, then don't even consider being a medieval Breton! All of the records are written in a language that even most of the residents of modern Brittany cannot read and don't speak any longer; and are cached in places like the Archives of Rennes University, and the University of Caen!

      I know, - my wife is of Breton descent on her father's side, and we researched her family history so she could insert an imaginary ancestor into her late-15th century paternal Lineage for her SCA persona. "Difficult" is a totally inadequate adjective.
      But it was easier than it would have been had she chosen her Mother's Lineage - less than 1,000 people in the world understand "Jerriais" - the language of medieval Jersey!

      In service to the medieval Dream,
      Matthew Baker

    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        Oh, wow!  And I thought my persona was difficult!!  I registered as a (barely) period - well, pre-period, actually - Imazighen - or Tamazight - that's North African Berber.  There were so many misperceptions about the Berbers - I had to constantly tell people, "NO, that's Berber, NOT ARAB!"  Very few people understand that the Berbers are a separate people from the Arabs...

        It was so obscure that my name passed in part because the entire SCA organization had little to no info on what the Berbers actually were, especially pre-Arab invasion!!  I later found out that my middle ?preposition? should be "ut" or "wt" instead of "ait" - I still haven't done enough research to understand whether "ait" applies to males only, or tribal groups and males...  Still Researching Ziddina