Re: [SCA Newcomers] I am Registered!

  • Otto von Schwyz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
      Congrats.� My name and device failed the first time and that was after I waited a year.� Second time through took about six months.� My badge is a new thing for me and that took three months.��I sat down with Atlantia�s Golden Dolphin Herald (chef herald for submissions) and told her I wanted �x� how do I go about getting it. �Heralds are my friends�

      Herr Otto von Schwyz

      Device: Azure ermined argent, an ounce rampant enflamed guardant contourny between flaunches argent.
      Badge: A sea-lion perfess argent and purpure.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2009
        On Wed, 2/4/09, Staycy <naychur@yahoo. com> wrote:
        I just want to share my good news with everyone. SNIPPED FOR BREVITYI was able to get registered on the FIRST TRY!

        COMMENT
        Congratulations, my Lady Ephesia,.

        If you think having a Greek persona could have  been a problem, then don't even consider being a medieval Breton! All of the records are written in a language that even most of the residents of modern Brittany cannot read and don't speak any longer; and are cached in places like the Archives of Rennes University, and the University of Caen!

        I know, - my wife is of Breton descent on her father's side, and we researched her family history so she could insert an imaginary ancestor into her late-15th century paternal Lineage for her SCA persona. "Difficult" is a totally inadequate adjective.
        But it was easier than it would have been had she chosen her Mother's Lineage - less than 1,000 people in the world understand "Jerriais" - the language of medieval Jersey!

        In service to the medieval Dream,
        Matthew Baker

      • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
          Oh, wow!  And I thought my persona was difficult!!  I registered as a (barely) period - well, pre-period, actually - Imazighen - or Tamazight - that's North African Berber.  There were so many misperceptions about the Berbers - I had to constantly tell people, "NO, that's Berber, NOT ARAB!"  Very few people understand that the Berbers are a separate people from the Arabs...

          It was so obscure that my name passed in part because the entire SCA organization had little to no info on what the Berbers actually were, especially pre-Arab invasion!!  I later found out that my middle ?preposition? should be "ut" or "wt" instead of "ait" - I still haven't done enough research to understand whether "ait" applies to males only, or tribal groups and males...  Still Researching Ziddina