Re: [SCA Newcomers] I am Registered!

  • Kristen Praiswater
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4 12:13 PM
      Good for you hon!

      Kristen

      --- On Wed, 2/4/09, Staycy <naychur@...> wrote:
      From: Staycy <naychur@...>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] I am Registered!
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 2:01 PM

      I just want to share my good news with everyone. I don't post much,

      but I do get useful information out of what is posted on this site

      and do encourage othere newbies to join.

      I have been in the SCA (Kingdom of Gleann Abhann, Shire of Ardanroe)

      for a little over a year. I came to this site searching for help

      with my name in hopes of registering it. The persona I chose was

      Greek and there are not very many of "us" out there that I have found.

      After the wonderful help from Coblaith Muimnech, I was able to submit

      my name with all the documentation I could need. I was able to get

      registered on the FIRST TRY! It did take approximately 9 months from

      submission to registration, but it has finally happened.

      I just wanted to thank all that assisted me in this and other

      questions I have posted in the past!

      I am graciously thankful for all of you,

      Officially,

      Hesperis Ephesia

    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4 12:25 PM
        On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 20:01 +0000, Staycy wrote:
        > It did take approximately 9 months from
        > submission to registration, but it has finally happened.

        Only 9 months start to finish? That's remarkably *fast*. I'm serious.
        Mine passed on the first try also, but it took about a year, which is
        typical. It's not that the heralds deliberately drag their feet, but
        rather that the routing and comment process involves multiple steps and
        a lot of people.

        Congratulations!

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Otto von Schwyz
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4 1:35 PM
          Congrats.� My name and device failed the first time and that was after I waited a year.� Second time through took about six months.� My badge is a new thing for me and that took three months.��I sat down with Atlantia�s Golden Dolphin Herald (chef herald for submissions) and told her I wanted �x� how do I go about getting it. �Heralds are my friends�

          Herr Otto von Schwyz

          Device: Azure ermined argent, an ounce rampant enflamed guardant contourny between flaunches argent.
          Badge: A sea-lion perfess argent and purpure.

          On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 20:01 +0000, Staycy wrote:
          > It did take approximately 9 months from
          > submission to registration, but it has finally happened.

          Only 9 months start to finish? That's remarkably *fast*. I'm serious.
          Mine passed on the first try also, but it took about a year, which is
          typical. It's not that the heralds deliberately drag their feet, but
          rather that the routing and comment process involves multiple steps and
          a lot of people.

          Congratulations!

          ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()
          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/ sca/justin/

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4 1:54 PM
            On Wed, 2/4/09, Staycy <naychur@yahoo. com> wrote:
            I just want to share my good news with everyone. SNIPPED FOR BREVITYI was able to get registered on the FIRST TRY!

            COMMENT
            Congratulations, my Lady Ephesia,.

            If you think having a Greek persona could have  been a problem, then don't even consider being a medieval Breton! All of the records are written in a language that even most of the residents of modern Brittany cannot read and don't speak any longer; and are cached in places like the Archives of Rennes University, and the University of Caen!

            I know, - my wife is of Breton descent on her father's side, and we researched her family history so she could insert an imaginary ancestor into her late-15th century paternal Lineage for her SCA persona. "Difficult" is a totally inadequate adjective.
            But it was easier than it would have been had she chosen her Mother's Lineage - less than 1,000 people in the world understand "Jerriais" - the language of medieval Jersey!

            In service to the medieval Dream,
            Matthew Baker

          • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7 12:16 PM
              Oh, wow!  And I thought my persona was difficult!!  I registered as a (barely) period - well, pre-period, actually - Imazighen - or Tamazight - that's North African Berber.  There were so many misperceptions about the Berbers - I had to constantly tell people, "NO, that's Berber, NOT ARAB!"  Very few people understand that the Berbers are a separate people from the Arabs...

              It was so obscure that my name passed in part because the entire SCA organization had little to no info on what the Berbers actually were, especially pre-Arab invasion!!  I later found out that my middle ?preposition? should be "ut" or "wt" instead of "ait" - I still haven't done enough research to understand whether "ait" applies to males only, or tribal groups and males...  Still Researching Ziddina