Re: [SCA Newcomers] Heraldry

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 22, 2009
      I wrote:
      > Only five tinctures were broadly used in period heraldry, and they're
      > the only five we use in the S.C.A.
      > <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/primer/tinctures.html>.

      It's five *colors*, of course. Seven tinctures.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • annsaw3712
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 26, 2009
        Greetings;

        I'm new and I have always been interested in Heraldry. My question is about the History of Heraldry. Also how can one learn Heraldry?

        Peace

        Ann
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 27, 2009
          Quoth "annsaw3712":
          > I'm new and I have always been interested in Heraldry. My question is about
          > the History of Heraldry. Also how can one learn Heraldry?

          Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to heraldry!

          If you're interested in learning about heraldry in the Middle
          Ages, here are some books I'd recommend:

          Moncreiffe, _Simple Heraldry, Cheerfully Illustrated_
          von Volborth, _Heraldry: Customs, Rules, and Styles_
          Pastoureau, _Heraldry: An Introduction to a Noble Tradition_
          Fox-Davies, _A Complete Guide to Heraldry_

          There are also a lot of facsimiles of medieval rolls of arms
          available in the Medieval Heraldry Archive:
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/

          For information about heraldry in the SCA, this website is a
          good place to start: http://heraldry.sca.org Also, your
          kingdom should have a webpage devoted to heraldry, where you
          can find out more. What kingdom are you in?

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 27, 2009
            This topic always raises a question in my mind - which aspect are you interested in, the 'town crier' aspect, or the 'find a name/create a device' aspect?

            Cheers,
            Kyra the BerberĀ

            Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 28, 2009
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com,

              Thank you for the warm welcome!
              I will research both online and at my local library LOL
              Thanks for the assistance. . . .
              Peace