New Person

  • Colleen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
      Good Afternoon Everyone!

      I have been to a few SCA events, but I was just a child and went with
      my parents in the Kingdom of Ealdormere. I borrowed garb and just
      floated around behind them (and they seemed to know EVERYONE!!) I have
      now moved to British Columbia and would like to get involved again.
      The problem is, I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions??
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
        In a message dated 1/17/2009 9:57:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        tigerlover1998@... writes:

        <<I have been to a few SCA events, but I was just a child and went with
        my parents in the Kingdom of Ealdormere. I borrowed garb and just
        floated around behind them (and they seemed to know EVERYONE!!) I have
        now moved to British Columbia and would like to get involved again.
        The problem is, I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions??>>

        Hello and welcome!

        The first step will be finding your local group. I believe that British
        Columbia is part of the Kingdom of An Tir, the website for which can be found here:

        _http://www.antir.sca.org/_ (http://www.antir.sca.org/)

        There is probably a local group locator on that site; if not, you can contact
        the person listed as the Kingdom Chatelaine or Hospitaller (the term is
        interchangeable and varies from kingdom to kingdom), who is the newcomer liaison
        for the kingdom and who can help get you in touch with folks more local to you.
        That website should also have a lot of information that wil be useful to you,
        such as an events calendar and probably even some information specifically
        for newcomers to the kingdom.

        Again, welcome!

        Lancaster, PA
        steps!
        cemailfooterNO62)

      • Colleen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
          I am in the Kingdom of An Tir (the Shire of Danescombe). I see there
          is an event at the end of January in my Shire too (that's great since I
          really don't have the time to travel!)
        • pat.allies
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
            . New Person
            Posted by: "Colleen" tigerlover1998@... tigerlover1998
            Date: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:56 pm ((PST))

            Good Afternoon Everyone!

            I have been to a few SCA events, but I was just a child and went with
            my parents in the Kingdom of Ealdormere. I borrowed garb and just
            floated around behind them (and they seemed to know EVERYONE!!) I have
            now moved to British Columbia and would like to get involved again.
            The problem is, I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions

            Welcome Colleen
            Where abouts in BC Are you Located? There are several ways to get
            started, check out the following to to find a shire near you
            http://antir.sca.org/Map/branches.php?reg=Tir%20Righ
            I hope this helps and again
            Welcome
            Bart Archer
            Kingdom of An Tir, Princepality of Tir Righ, Shire of Appledore
            Appledore Shire Champion
            Shire of Appledore Chamberlain
          • Colleen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
              I am in the Kingdom of An Tir in the shire of Danescombe (I live in
              Kelowna).

              I believe I am going to attend the event in Westbank on January 31st.
              What should I do before then??
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
                In a message dated 1/18/2009 10:43:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                tigerlover1998@... writes:

                <<I am in the Kingdom of An Tir in the shire of Danescombe (I live in
                Kelowna).

                I believe I am going to attend the event in Westbank on January 31st.
                What should I do before then??>>

                1. Send in a reservation for the event, especially if they are providing
                food. It makes it much easier for the event staff to purchase the correct amount
                of food if most people attending pre-register for it. The information to do
                so should be in the event announcement. I'd also suggest sending a short note
                introducing yourself and telling them that you are new to the SCA, so they
                will know that you may need a bit more guidance than the average event goer. If
                you have food allergies or requirements (such being a vegetarian, say), you
                can also notify them of this; usually some provision is made, even if it is only
                to tell you which dishes you should not eat.

                2. Similarly, get in contact with the Chatelaine/Hospitaler ahead of time, so
                that that person can help you with getting what you need for the event or
                finding loaner things for you if you need them. If there isn't one listed, the
                seneschal or chapter president is expected to fulfill that role.

                3. You will need some sort of garb - clothing that looks like that worn
                before 1600. If you already have some renfaire garb or something, that will do
                fine for your first event. If not, don't panic; most local groups either have a
                selection of loaner garb, or there are people in the group who are willing to
                loan their own garb to newcomers. The chatelaine/hospitaler (or failing one
                of those, the seneschal) will be able to assist you with that.

                4. You'll at least need something to drink out of, and if there is food
                being served you are expected to provide your own feast gear or table service. At
                minimum, a plate, a bowl, and utensils. There's no requirement that these
                look medieval, but it's best to avoid blatantly modern looking things. In a
                pinch, a ceramic mug, or glass or good-looking plastic goblet will do fine for
                drinks. Wooden, metal, or ceramic plate and bowl, and just go with normal
                silverware for now. You may also want a cloth napkin. Again, your local group may
                either have some to loan or members of the group may be willing to loan. If
                you have your won, a simple basket or even a plain pillowcase or canvas bag to
                carry them in (also gives you a place to stash your wallet and such when you
                are in garb). Include a plastic bag to put the dirty dishes in for the trip
                home.

                Other than that, try not to be too nervous, and be prepared to have fun and,
                if you see a spot to, help out. SCA events run on volunteer labor pretty much
                exclusively, so more hands are always welcome, and helping out is a great way
                to get to know people. Even if it's just helping to arrange tables and
                chairs, or chopping a few veggies for dinner, or finding a broom to sweep the hall
                at the end of the event.

                Lancaster, PA
                steps!
                cemailfooterNO62)

              • Colleen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
                  WOW!! Thanks for all the great advice! I will also be bringing my son
                  with me (he's 14 and very interested in the times).